[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

history of the borgia family

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: borgias-series.png (399KB, 536x486px) Image search: [Google]
borgias-series.png
399KB, 536x486px
How Accurate is the European version called Borgia:faith and fear vs. The Borgias on Showtime for depicting the life of the Borgia family? I personally find the representation of some characters like Cesare, Juan, The Farnesse's in Borgia to be more thorough, I do love the depiction of The Pope by Jeremy Irons though as well as the character Micaletto. I do see how the guy in the other series was more fitting description wise for the Pope.(one thing, Rodrigo was fat). I heard a lot of fiction and b.s. was added in the Showtime version but is that true compared to the other? For example, I highly doubt Lucretzia is the one who killed Juan, it was likely Cesare.
>>
I will admit the Showtime version was much more impressive visually. That's also probably why it ended early though.
>>
>>2958423
Showtime version legit had some of the best acting around on tv. The chick who played Lucrezia is insanely underrated and the guy who played Juan was too. I spent the first two seasons wishing Juan would die and then when he was I missed his presence in the show.
>>
>>2958423
bordiga?
>>
>>2958536
Agreed, I even prefer The Borgias' depiction of Cesare - in Faith and Fear the character seems to be jumping from one psychotic break to another.

Also, John Doman could at least have tried to hide his accent.
>>
>>2958423
The European version is blow by blow accurate. They absolutely dedicated a season to how Rodrigo became pope.

In addition the Murican version missed a lot of subtleties like the Borgias facing discrimination for being suspected Catalans (i.e. implication that they are conversos).
>>
>>2958697
You were almost right. They were of Valencian origin (Rodrigo hailed from Xàtiva, a town in the province of Valencia, part of the Crown of Aragon). Rodrigo's birthname was Roderic de Llançol (or Rodrigo de Lanzol in Castilian). He adopted his mother's family name of Borja in 1455 after his maternal uncle Alonso de Borja (Alfonso Borgia in Italian) became Pope Callixtus III.
Also, in no sources which I have consulted state his family was suspected of being conversos. In fact, he had noble ancestors and an uncle who became Pope.
>>
>>2958697
yup I felt that too. I also think there was some legit fiction inserted in the Showtime version. It's also weird that no duke of Ferrara was present now that I mention it. He was actually pretty important in Lucretzia's life.
It legit had the best production values though. The European version seemed more extensive and even went on longer ( and to my belief actually properly finished) but was definitely less stunning visyally. The huge budget of The Borgias on Showtime caused it to end earlier if I'm not mistaken; they ran low on money.
>>
>>2958536
yeah I definitely prefer most of the actors in the Showtime version and over all look.
The stories seemed lacking compared to Borgia though.
>>2958685
that's funny since Cesare's actor and overall depiction in Faith and Fear is actually one of the few actors I enjoy more than the Showtime one. I also don't think the Juan in faith and fear was that bad either.
>>
>>2958697
I still don't think Lucretzia is the one who killed Juan, that's one aspect of the European version I find pretty dumb. Even if no one ever truly found out, I really think it was likely Cesare. Most of the evidence and motivation points to him.
>>
File: Marta Gastini.jpg (55KB, 600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Marta Gastini.jpg
55KB, 600x1000px
>>2958423
The American one had better acting (Jeremy fucking Irons)
The European one was more accurate (Rodrigo was fat).

Although the European one went overboard with featuring every historical execution there ever was. I doubt the Roman Catholic Church crucified anyone, nor did it use the Brazen Bull.

Also the European one had a better chick game.
>>
>>2959156
Both the American and the European prods have dramatic shit inserted in between, but the American one is egregious.
>>
>>2959170
that is so true. Seriously, wtf was up with Julia somehow being an ace accountant or Giovani Szorfsa being a total dick and abusive to Lucretzia. He was actually more humble and meek in real life.
>>
>>2959168
>doubt the Roman Catholic Church crucified anyone, nor did it use the Brazen Bull.
How can you be so sure, even under Pope Alexander?I mean he was unpopular for a reason and Spanish (see inquisition ).
I think you're thinking too highly of the church at this period.
Agreed Jeremy Irons is amazing. I also like that they didn't focus on or suggest Rodrigo's attraction to Lucretzia much. I think any incestuous feeling towards his own daughter was all or mostly just fake rumors by their opponents to shit on them similar to rumors about Roman emperors like Caesar or caligula. Plus it was just gross in faith and fear,desu.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.