[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Xhosa cattle-killing movement and famine (1854-1858)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: xhosa.png (452KB, 560x551px) Image search: [Google]
xhosa.png
452KB, 560x551px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nongqawuse

>The cattle-killing frenzy affected not only the Gcaleka, Sarhili's clan, but the whole of the Xhosa nation. Historians estimate that the Gcaleka killed between 300,000 and 400,000 head of cattle.

>Nongqawuse predicted that the ancestors' promise would be fulfilled on February 18, 1857, when the sun would turn red. On that day the sun rose the same colour as every other day, and the prophecy was not realised. Initially, Nongqawuse's followers blamed those who had not obeyed her instructions, but they later turned against her.

>In the aftermath of the crisis, the population of British Kaffraria dropped from 105,000 to fewer than 27,000 due to the resulting famine. Nongqawuse was arrested by the British authorities and imprisoned on Robben Island. After her release, she lived on a farm in the Alexandria district of the eastern Cape. She died in 1898.

Epic.
>>
>>2953528
Yeah I mean I imagine that happened to a lot of pagans when confronting Christian armies. It's the main reason why I hate how there is this resurgence of magical belief in of color communities.

The orisha and the ancestors are not gonna save you from bullets. Neither will your latinx brujx power.
>>
File: 1493321077293.png (44KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1493321077293.png
44KB, 657x527px
>>2953528

1. If it was a Spirit you don't know why they advised that action; if super intelligent there may have been good reasons for doing so.... or not.
2. Ironically the Sun probably turned red as it set.
3. Might have been delusional; people have done many stupid things under the influence of "mass delusions" and psychosis. Untold suffering has been caused by man's irrational actions.
4. This level of mass starvation and death is only a statistical blip when compared to the mass starvation and death caused by mans rational actions in Soviet Ukraine and in Communist China; ironically this means that the only thing that exceeds the suffering and death that mankind causes when he's being irrational is the suffering and death he causes when being rational.....

>Ain't life a bitch sometimes...
>>
>>2953528
Fucking retards.
>>
Ironically, magic is real. It's called technology. Science is, in part, the craft of discovering what magic works and what doesn't. Technology is all the magic that actually works.
>>
>>2953609
Why is that point against pagan/indigenous religions?
>>
>>2953662
so wheels were considered magic by sumerians?
>>
>>2953674
paganism is perceived as more primitive than monotheism generally, and more given to magical thinking
>>
>>2953681
But Christianity, Islam and Judaism have a lot of magical thinking to though so I see the belief that the 3 Abrahamic religions are less prone to magical thinking pretty flase.
>>
>>2953674
>>2953681
No it's not just paganism. It's live evangelical extremism too, historically though I've seen much more millenist movements with pagans.

Also neopagans aren't real pagans
>>
File: 1495134163347.png (125KB, 400x650px) Image search: [Google]
1495134163347.png
125KB, 400x650px
>>2953662
>>2953528

Ironically, both Manly P. Hall and Anton Levy stated that one of the perils of the use of "Black Magic" is having your own negative intentions and energy reflected back at you and having the very thing you sought to use as a weapon destroy you instead.

>"Black Magic" joke
>>
>>2953733
Magic isn't real, nerd
>>
>>2953741
lol imagine actually believing this?
>>
File: 1486327939937.png (40KB, 825x635px) Image search: [Google]
1486327939937.png
40KB, 825x635px
>>2953741

And there was no 9/11 conspiracy either, right?
>>
>>2953662

magic is by definition a mystic force that does not obbey the rules of the natural world.

technology is the use of devices and contraptions that work around those rules or uses them to achieve results.

technology is anti-magic, and science is the task of destroying magic.
>>
File: eyeofgod.jpg (2MB, 2655x1577px) Image search: [Google]
eyeofgod.jpg
2MB, 2655x1577px
>>2953987

For several types of "magic", that's a pretty silly way of looking at it; consider it from the perspective of video games, computer programming and the "natural rules" of the world created within them.
>>
>>2953987
>magic is by definition a mystic force that does not obbey the rules of the natural world.

So basically, quantum uncertainty? It's not like real life physics is always predictable.

If magic existed wouldn't it mean that it's a part of the natural world? Scientists would be studying it like they do any other phenomena and try to find out what rules it works by. 'Mystical' just basically means unknown.
>>
>>2954158
>>2953987
>>2954034
Really makes you think
>>2918959
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.