[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ancient Egypt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: two ladies.jpg (88KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
two ladies.jpg
88KB, 1024x724px
What were ancient Egyptian armies like?

Pre-Ptolemaic. Old, Middle or New Kingdom eras.
>>
No one alive today was there, so it's impossible to say.
>>
>>2943283
I'm more interested in what tactics were like in the bronze age, Hittites vs Egyptians kind of warfare.

I'll give you a bump in hopes someone can shed some light.
>>
>>2943290
Mummy checking in.

I was there bro.

Surprisingly, Ancient Egyptians were mostly Japanese post old Kangdom. Old Kangdom was rules by Abbos.
>>
>>2943290
t. Dr. kent hovind
>>
>>2943335
>archer spamming
>the pharaoh riding around on a chariot shooting shit with his bow and whacking motherfuckers with his club
>didn't have resources for sophisticated metalworking so got rekt in close combat regularly
>>
>>2943385
>didn't have resources for sophisticated metalworking so got rekt in close combat regularly
new kingdom had bronze weapons like everyone else.
>>
Did they wear armour? What weapons were they usually armed with?
>>
>>2943283
they probably liked chariots
at least that's what everybody says
>>
>>2943393
They used padding, not real "armor".

They had sickles and used linen shields AFAIK.
>>
Wasn't there a battle where the Persians painted cats on their shields and the Egyptians surrendered because they didn't want to piss off Isis the Cat goddess by shooting at the cat pictures?

Anyway, on topic, spears and bows were probably the most common weapons, although they had a habit of using sickles as weapons too. A lot of clubs and slings too, people tend to forget slings were a common weapon back in the day and lots of people used them. Northern areas like Alexandria that had heavy Greek influences probably had some greek style armor or even weapons and armors bought from Greece. No saddles or stirrups meat Chariots were the preferred cavalry, most likely armed with spears or bows. They also liked building really big boats and filling them with archers and attaching rams to the front, having a developed navy is how they beat the Sea peoples. Tactically, they probably weren't particularly notable, you never hear about Egyptian tactical geniuses the way people talk about Caesar or Hannibal or anyone like that.
>>
File: Battle-of-Pelusium.jpg (436KB, 659x404px) Image search: [Google]
Battle-of-Pelusium.jpg
436KB, 659x404px
>>2943495
Persians were cunts.
>>
>>2943385
t. butthurt hittite still mad about Kadesh
>>
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/defense.htm
>>
>>2943391
Was that after the Hyxos brought bronze over?

>>2943393
Obviously you can't condense thousands of years of military history into 12 minutes, but Metatron does a decent job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hVmnW70dAw

>>2943429
>linen shields
As weird as that sounds, I suppose that makes sense, since gambesons were linen.
>>
>>2943495
>Isis the Cat goddess
Wasn't bastet the kitty god?
>>
>>2943827
Well, you can make sturdy things out of linen. Like baskets and stuff.
>>
>>2943495
You're thinking of the battle of Pelusium, and yes that did happen. They brought actual cats with as well.
>>
File: Herodotus 2.jpg (127KB, 800x1143px) Image search: [Google]
Herodotus 2.jpg
127KB, 800x1143px
>>2943936
Herodotus says nothing about the cats, so I'm skeptical. Polyaenus isn't a very reputable source.
>>
>>2944058
There are 2 Pelusium battles between them and that supposedly happened in the second long after Herodotus
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.