[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was his problem? Was he so butthurt about Marius that he

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Sulla.jpg (14KB, 220x335px) Image search: [Google]
Sulla.jpg
14KB, 220x335px
What was his problem? Was he so butthurt about Marius that he had to march into Rome just so he could be the general that fought Mithridates? Everything I've read about him makes him look like a dick. Granted Marius isn't innocent himself.
>>
>>2937376
Sulla actually didn't have a problem. See, he was legally elected consul, taking command of the consular armies in his year as consul, to fight a war...sanctioned by the Senate...in his year as consul. All 100% legal and according to the mos maiorum.

It was Marius who got butthurt because after two strokes nobody really wanted him commanding such an important venture far from home, plus Sulla was better anyway. But Marius went senile and got an insane tribune of the plebs to pass a bunch of retarded legislation basically grinding political life to a standstill and precipitating a crisis.

He then got a law through the plebeian assembly appointing himself the commander against Mithridates...against all precedent, against the mos maiorum, against Sulla's right as consul.

What choice did Sulla have? Stand down like a good boy and be forever disgraced and possibly even killed right afterward as a huge threat to this senile old fool, or march on Rome and set things right, tradition be damned? It wasn't about generalship, it was about the precedent, about the mos maiorum, about the rights of the consulate.

I'm not saying that Sulla is innocent of anything either, neither of them were, but Marius was the one with the problem.
>>
>>2937441
Yeah marius was a fucking retard.
>>
>>2937376
literally did nothing wrong
>>
>>2937445
Well I wouldn't quite say that, he was just a mad old man at the end of his tether. These days he'd be in a hospice or something. From everything that happened I have my suspicions that his allies were using him and his son (not the brightest or bravest from what we know) as figureheads to garner support from people from the third census class and down, maybe even some from the second class as well.
>>
>>2937376
fuck off, /his/ is a Sulla board
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.