[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since when did military campaigns begin using codenames such

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1227409160579.jpg (675KB, 1683x1641px) Image search: [Google]
1227409160579.jpg
675KB, 1683x1641px
Since when did military campaigns begin using codenames such as 'operation x' or something like that?
>>
>>2937176
last Thursday.
>>
>>2937176
With the rise of the telegraph and radio.
>>
Since Jimbo and Cletus got to Supreme Commabd in the USA.
>Ey Jimbo we needs ta invent a morale raisin' name for dem operators
>Gosh darn it Cletus you know dem grunts eat raisin erry day!
>Oh frick it Jimbo I meant raisin' as in raisin' not raisins
>How about OPERATION DESERT STORM or OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM Cletus?
>By G-d Jimb you ain't so dim after all
>>
Fuck you
>>
File: bretty gud.gif (29KB, 482x800px) Image search: [Google]
bretty gud.gif
29KB, 482x800px
>>2937289
>>
>>2937176

http://ssi.armywarcollege.edu/pubs/parameters/Articles/1995/sieminsk.htm

"Naming operations seems to have originated with the German General Staff during the last two years of World War I. The Germans used code names primarily to preserve operational security, though the names were also a convenient way of referring to subordinate and successive operations. Thus, it is probably no accident that operational names came into use at the same time as the rise of operational art. It was simply easier to get a handle on the complexities of operational sequencing and synchronization by naming each operation something that the staff could remember. The Germans chose names that were not only memorable but also inspiring. Plans for the great Western Front offensive in the spring of 1918, which saw the most extensive use of operational code names, borrowed from religious, medieval, and mythological sources: Archangel, St. Michael, St. George, Roland, Mars, Achilles, Castor, Pollux, and Valkyrie.[6] The selection of these names was perhaps an adjunct to Ludendorff's patriotic education program, designed to stir a demoralized and weary army into making one final push.[7] The original, stirring vision conjured by these names was lost, however, when several of the planned operations had to be scaled back. St. George, for example, devolved to the uninspiring diminutive Georgette.[8]

The American military adopted code names during the World War II era, primarily for security reasons.[9] Its use of code names for operations grew out of the practice of color-coding war plans during the interwar period.[10] Even before America entered the war, the War Department had executed Operation Indigo,[11] the reinforcement of Iceland, and had dubbed plans to occupy the Azores and Dakar as Operations Gray[12] and Black[13] respectively."
>>
>>2937451
Nice.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.