[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about the Wild West /his/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0749.jpg (221KB, 1024x452px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0749.jpg
221KB, 1024x452px
Let's talk about the Wild West /his/
>>
>>2935603
The "Wild West" was actually quite mild t-b-h. Rampant gunfighting and Indian raids weren't part of daily life.
>>
>>2935603
Its hot
Its dry
Everyone just steals and rapes
Filled now with fundamentalists and swarthy Mexicans
Its basically American Arabia
>>
>>2935610
There were very, very, very few Mexicans in the US before the 1960s change in immigration law. I will never understand this meme that America has always had a giant Mexican population.
>>
File: Thomas_J._Smith.jpg (57KB, 346x448px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_J._Smith.jpg
57KB, 346x448px
The only lawman worth his salt. Wyatt Earp was a reprobate. This guy is so badass, he rarely used a gun to settle disputes.
>>
>>2935607

This. Low population densities meant that violence was actually very rare, consider that the most enduring legend of the period is the shootout at the OK corral, in which barely a handful of people actually died.
>>
>>2935749
Plus when nearly everyone owns rifles, picking a fight seems like a terrible idea.

Pistol ownership was actually rare in the West until after the Civil War. After the Civil War, the government sold a huge number of excess pistols, and the price fell in half.

t. a guy who LARPs as a cowboy at our local museum and reads the old records for fun
>>
>>2935692
People assume that there were quite a few Mexicans due to the Mexican Cession when there were less than 300,000 (at the upper estimate) across the entire cession at the time of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. For reference that's less than half a person per square mile. It's just a common misconception.
>>
>>2935776

How do I get in on a museum gig?
>>
File: ute with his buddy.jpg (400KB, 968x1338px) Image search: [Google]
ute with his buddy.jpg
400KB, 968x1338px
>>2935607
>>2935749

was still pretty violent by modern standards, especially in/around the boom-towns that grew up around the mining or cattle industries.

the amount of indian violence varied a lot depending on where and when but yeah it was really only a very small part of the development of the West.

big thing people forget is that the Old West was very much a product of the industrial revolution. California, Nevada, Montana and Colorado all had economies based around heavy industry for most of the late 19th and early 20th century.

"There Will Be Blood" is one of my favorite Westerns.
>>
>>2936526
A lot of those Spanish-speaking populations in the South-west (New Mexico, SoCal) were even more of their own Spanish/Native hybrids than Mexican. Mexico largely ignored Del Norte and by the 1840s the area was much less Hispanic then it had been in the late 1700s.
>>
>>2935705
In Little Big Man they said he used non-lethal takedowns because he was meanspirited and wanted to humiliate people.
>>
>>2935776
Another misconception is that old west towns let you carry guns wherever, when in fact a lot of towns had very strict gun control laws passed that prohibited open carry or in some cases, even possession of a handgun.
>>
File: Cowboy_hat transparent.png (544KB, 1100x750px) Image search: [Google]
Cowboy_hat transparent.png
544KB, 1100x750px
*tips ten gallon hat*
m'pardner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt0rURntFQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999RqGZatPs
>>
>>2935603
The wildest west was down in Mexico. And unlike the US, their frontier didn't "settle down" after the railroads came through and cities were built - it exploded into savage guerilla warfare during the Mexican Revolution and didn't quiet down a bit until the 1930's.
>>
>>2935692
After America acquired it's South West from Mexico the Hispanic people stayed. The Hispanic influenced remained. During Mexico's many social upheavals prior to the sixties, like the revolution, the American Southwest has always been favored for immigration purposes.
>>
>>2936824
It has more to do with an incident in which he shot a kid, he was traumatized and decided on his fists as an alternative.
>>
>>2936810
>modern standards

This is an absurd standard, because literally everywhere and everywhen is violent by modern standards. By the standards of the time, comparing the Wild West with (say) the East Coast of the USA, levels of violence were extremely low, due to the very low population densities and the near universal custom of owning firearms.
>>
Shit was overblown. But I still love it.

The Searchers is still my favorite movie.
>>
>>2936848
Now boy I tell you them's some strong wild tunes you be playin there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RePtDvh4Yq4
>>
>>2936848
im fixin t' listen t' some great tunes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVuPCJ7PphU
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.