[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Visigothic Kingdom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: PreVis.png (17KB, 353x343px) Image search: [Google]
PreVis.png
17KB, 353x343px
So what was happening here? What lead to the fall of the Visigoths to the muslims?

I barely find any documentation on these guys, or how life was during their rule, only how they got destroyed in Guadalete, leading to the Ummayyad Caliphate controlling almost all of the Iberian Peninsula.
>>
>>2930459
They opened up the border.
>>
visigoths were a bunch of barbarian niggers constantly fighting each other
>>
>>2930482
So they were in constant civil wars until they got btfo?
>>
>>2930459
They weren't full barbarian but not a lot happened in post-Roman Hispania. The Germanic immigrants mostly kept to themselves and left the local population to it, occasionally going north-west to fight Suevi and Vasconians. There isn't much in terms of sources documenting their rule apart from saints' lives and stuff.
>>
>>2930496
So they settled there, fought some guys and that's it?
>>
>>2930459
>So what was happening here?
One of the most advanced catholic kingdoms at the time.If it had survived it would have probably being something similar to XIII century France
> What lead to the fall of the Visigoths to the muslims?
Arianism vs catholicism.The arians sided with the muslims at Guadalete and then Arians and jews opened the gates of cities to the muslims
>I barely find any documentation on these guys
There are few Visigothic historians.Saint Isidore of Seville is the most well known
>or how life was during their rule
Politically very stable.For commoners it had the Liber Iudiciorum which are pretty interesting laws for the time mixing Roman and Visigothic law
>>
>>2930482
>visigoths were a bunch of barbarian niggers
That is why muslims translated all the books in their libraries into arab?
>>
>>2930513
>So they settled there, fought some guys and that's it?
No.Spain at the time was driven by the comflict between Arians and Catholics internally and against the Franks,the Byzantines,the Suevii,the Vandals,the Cantabrians and Vasconians externally.They were the more romanized germanics by far and ended up adapting Roman law.
>>
>>2930578
>>2930593
Interesting, so basically, internal conflicts lead to their downfall. I like to imagine what would have happened if they never fell. Today, they could be a a powerful European country like France.
>>
>>2930643
Spain and Portugal still were among the five biggest colonial empires, settling and exploiting countries from Mexico to the Phillipines. Did you forget that?
>>
>>2930698
I mean currently, both are in-debt to hell.

t. Spaniard
>>
>>2930643
>Interesting, so basically, internal conflicts lead to their downfall. I like to imagine what would have happened if they never fell. Today, they could be a a powerful European country like France.
The muslim invasion caused a huge demographic crisis.Spain was more populated than France prior to the muslim invasion.It would have been the most advanced western christian kingdom if it was never invaded, if things didn't change drastically
>>
>>2930751

Wait, what changed? I was under the impression that Al-Andalus was a prosperous realm.
>>
Had Visigoths retained power would Spain be called today Godia just like Gaul is called today France?
>>
>>2931009
It was, but just as the visigoths it succumbed to the internal conflicts and all went to the shit.
>>
>>2931081
It would be called Spain too. Saint Isidore of Seville (560-636) already wrote a text (Laus Spaniae) acclaiming the "virtues" of Hispania.
>>
>>2930459
internal struggles
>>2930482
incorrect
they had shitloads of farmers supporting them that basically wanted to live just like before but without roman taxes and rules
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.