[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about Richard the Lionhart, /his/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Was he as bad as everybody says?
>>
>>2922843
I'll just quote you Runciman, because he got it completely right:
>he was a bad son, a bad husband, and a bad king, but a gallant and splendid soldier
He was a shit ruler and a legendary crusader.
>>
>>2922843
He defined Britishness
>>
>>2922864
Solved.
>>
>>2923125
He wasn't British.
>>
>>2923133
He was British
>>
>>2923133

So?
>>
>>2922864
This.
He wasn't really good at anything but war.
>>
>>2923179
>>2923125
>Cared more about his mom's ancestral Aquitaine than England
>Spent only a few months in England and spoke French as well as Occitan than Middle English
>His Crusade AND his ransom sucked immense loads of cash from England
Richard the Lionheart being an "English" king is meme bullshit propagated from Ivanhoe and Robin Hood. Every king of England from 1066 to 1485 was a fucking parasite that taxed the English people for their wars of expansion in France, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. The Tudors may have been usurpers and distantly related to the Plantagenet dynasty, but at least they finally extinguished that ruling house.
>>
>>2922843
Bad ruler, good warrior, and a dope ass music composer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p2OhO-QsqY
>>
>>2922864
this

he was great in the crusade
but while he was playing with Saladin his kingdom gotten raped by France
>>
>>2923179
>Plantagenet kings
>British

fucker even spoke French
>>
>>2922843
>Was he as bad as everybody says?

well, uh...

>literally the only guy who failed to profit off the crusades (not counting barbarossa, since he fell of his fucking horse and drowned before doing anything of note)
>kept getting captured, ultimately forcing the english to pony up 100,000 pounds sterling for his ransom, in an era when 700 pounds was enough to finance the entire construction of a castle
>this fucked over his (admittedly equally shitty) little brother, leading to multiple baronial uprisings and magna carta

motherfucker didn't even speak english and he's venerated as a noble and quintessentially english king
>>
>>2922843
the funniest pepe-tier meme around him is that Lionheart is not an epithet but an insult for having a heart that of a wild beast for his atrocities

with context lost, normies only see meme orphaned of meaning and just assume he was "noble af lmao"
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.