[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was a yeoman?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

What was a yeoman?
>>
>>2922235
"Yo, man"
>>
>>2922235
A contraction of "Young Man", but basically a militia-type unit, typically an archer.
>>
>>2922246
when? And how did they live during peacetime?
>>
I only know it's an old-fashioned pejorative term we use in Ireland to refer to English people, more specifically soldiers. Like they had "Hun" for Germans, except we actually call(ed) protestants Huns instead
>>
>>2922265
>an old-fashioned pejorative term we use in Ireland to refer to English people, more specifically soldiers
>>2922246
>A contraction of "Young Man", but basically a militia-type unit, typically an archer.

we 're getting there

I want to know what period we are talking about.
>>
>>2922278
Well again speaking from the Irish perspective, we used it at least as late as the war of independence (1919-21) and probably into the troubles as well.
I'm probably wrong here but I *think* yeomen referred to British archers in the middle ages? Agincourt maybe?
>>
>>2922278
Late medieval and early modern periods. Think 1300-1700.
>>
A peasant who works on his own land instead of on someone else's.
>>
>>2922319
>early modern periods

AHA

by the way, I hope you knew this already when you saw the thread, you 're not quoting wikipedia, you wouldn't do this to me, right anon?

>>2922334
thanks A LOT
>>
>>2922334
so, when do yeomen appear? During feudalism? Wasn't feudalism the system under which the land was owned by the noblemen?

Because we are talking about Europe right? Feudalism and yeomen are european phenomena, correct?
>>
>>2922235

A rate (job/mos for other services) in the Navy that's one of the most powerful and lazy positions for an enlisted man.

If he hates you
>Sorry, that paperwork is still stagnating in the Chain of Command
>Sorry, you didn't fill out this field. I know you gave it to me three weeks ago but we've been busy. Please get a new form and refill it
>Your leave chit? I don't see it anywhere in my stack
>>
>>2922362
Yeomen in this traditional sense appeared towards the end of Feudalism and the transition into the Modern Era, so around the 15th/16th Centuries.

As a middle ground between serfs/peasants who didn't have rights and the gentry/nobles, yeomen became more and more prominent and powerful over time as Monarchs would appoint yeomen in roles such as local Sheriffs, Bailiff's and Constables to act as a check on the local nobles power.
>>
>>2922334
>>2922362
>>2922432
this concept of yeoman as independent small land owners who farmed and made their own living and were free was more of an old roman republic thing. It declined with the rise of feudal serfdom and then returned with the fall of that system.
>>
>>2922432
>>2922451

thank you both
>>
>>2922451

Peasants did have rights, in fact they regularly sued their landlords in England for violation of said rights, and won as often as not. Serfs in England also had plenty of rights, granted elsewhere in Europe they were often little better than slaves.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.