[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were Greeks so good at philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: aristotle.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
aristotle.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
they even surpassed the Babylonians and Egyptians in this regard
>>
>>2921007
Because they turned it into a business. Their writings became popular because they pandered to the mass market of the reading public.
>>
>>2921007
I'd say a large part of it was because they had a very good economy. You can't have a large intellectual class without excess production of food and other necessities.

http://historum.com/blogs/guaporense/934-long-run-economic-performance-ancient-greece.html
>>
was greek philosophy really more advanced than egyptian philosophy?
>>
Black genetics
http://africaunlimited.com/blog/was-socrates-black/
>>
>>2921007
because they separated it from religion
>>
>>2921007
To be fair I've never actually seen any Babylonian or Egyptian philosophers.
>>
What is this Egyptian and Babylonian philosophy everyone assumes it even existed while nobody can name a single philosopher or text, let alone prove that they influenced anyone. Pro tip: Herodotus and co saying Pythagoras studied under the "Chaldeans", etc does not constitute proof of either.
>>
>>2921283
It didn't exist. Egyptians and Babylonians had their religion. That's it.
>>
>>2921284
>>2921283
Babylonians had semi philosophical texts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialogue_of_Pessimism
>>
>>2921308
That's fair. Although it should be noted that biblical wisdom literature was influenced by Greek thought, so if Dialogue of Pessimism is parallel to wisdom literature it probably derived somewhat from Greeks.
>>
>>2921322
It was composed soon after 1000 bc
>>
Basically circumstences
They had the right people at the right time
>>
>>2921330
oh okay. And after looking into it again maybe it was in retrospect that wisdom literature had Greek influence.
>>
but many afrocentric people claim that Socrates, Plato and Aristotle studied under Egypt and learned philosophy

so are you guys claiming that Egypt didn't have a philosophical tradition like Greece had?
>>
>>2921481
yes

Egypt really did not have a philosophical tradition, it was mostly their religion like what many people already said in this thread
>>
Isn't it Eurocentric to say Greece had a much more systematic philosophy than Egypt?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.