[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PLC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Polish-Lithuanian_commonwealth2.jpg (289KB, 920x838px) Image search: [Google]
Polish-Lithuanian_commonwealth2.jpg
289KB, 920x838px
Why they don't teach in schools in the west about it?

I'd rather learn about PLC or the Teutonic order rather than about US civil war, Chinese revolution or colonization.
>>
History was written in xviii and xix century when plc was gone or was forced into being forgotten by foreign powers, than in xx century anglos wrote it while pl or lit were behind the iron curtain so it's obvious that no one cares.
>>
>>2920139
The map is wrong
>>
>>2920139
nothing to learn anon, except for foreshadowing ww2
>>
>>2920206
where?
>>
>>2920206
t. buttblasted revisionist zhmudzin
>>
>>2920139
Going to assume you are an American.

The question you have to answer is "how relevant is this to a modern American?". The US civil war had many effects on America today, the Chinese revolution is important as the revolution shaped what China is today and China is a significant world power, and colonization eventually led to colonists rebelling and gaining their freedom.

If you can think of a reason why the PLC is relevant to the average American, I'd love to hear it.
>>
>>2920436
>zhmudzin
This is offensive for Aukštaičiai.
>>
File: kosciuszko.jpg (200KB, 491x650px) Image search: [Google]
kosciuszko.jpg
200KB, 491x650px
Szlachta was mistake
Kosciuszko was too based for this world
>>
>>2920574
A near-democratic world power that experienced a golden age while the rest of Europe was experiencing a surge in absolutism. 'The golden liberty', that eventually collapsed due to systemic problems.

Sounds like a lesson America needs to take to heart, especially right now.
>>
>>2920606
>A near-democratic world power
>near-democratic
>world power
>>
>>2920597
>Aukštaičiai
So russmongols?
>>
Wasn't the PLC basically an aristocrat playground? As in long after 'Western' Europe had become more 'civilized'?
>>
>>2920606
As much as I love Poland they were a regional power not a great power nor a world power nor a super power
>>2920972
Most commonwealths were actually good for the common man
>>2920139
It is for the universities to learn about not the common pleb
>>
>>2920972
More civilized, as in religion wars?
>>
>>2921486
>religion wars
Nice meme. Because the thirty years war sure was a "religious" war, amirite? I mean that's why you had protestants, muslims and catholics on the same side. Because it was totally fought for religious ideals.
>>
>>2920606
>A near-democratic
Not even close. Only when you meme up the numbers of Polish nobility (like 10% of the population).
>world power
Regional at best. So regional they were invaded by all their neighbours and even from within by Ukrainian revolts.
>golden age
If you were rich Polish nobility and not tired of being invaded that is.

Here is a nice video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UL8MCgwTlk
>>
Would be not interesting for minorities.
>>
>>2922016
>Regional at best. So regional they were invaded by all their neighbours and even from within by Ukrainian revolts.
>If you are invaded, you cannot be x power
>Soviet Union is not even regional power, because it was invaded
>So is Roman Empire
>etc
Well, of course "world" part is bullshit.

>A near-democratic
>Not even close. Only when you meme up the numbers of Polish nobility (like 10% of the population).
Not even close, but somehow Athenian democracy is legit with similar numbers.
>Calling up memes, but as his base of history knowledge uses children story video
Well, if at least it would be correct, but
>14thC, invaded by Prussians,Moscuvities and Mongols
What
>Invaded by Napoleon

>golden age
>If you were rich Polish nobility and not tired of being invaded that is.
And you can't even read, because there is small difference between "golden age", and "the golden liberty".

As for answer for OP's question
http://cosmopolitanreview.com/hollywoods-war-with-poland/
>>
>>2920139
>Why they don't teach in schools in the west about it?
Because the people who create our curriculum deliberately try to not be Eurocentric. Which is fine. We live in the big world and should focus on alot of areas.However the problem is that despite their attempts to avoid eurocentrism (which they succeed in) they remain Anglo centric. Large swaths of Europe are downplayed if not flat out ignored while the European nations which are more relevant to to America are taught about along with the non-European world.

I have a first hand example of this In my community college class cultural anthropology class the textboos only had one page devoted to Eastern Europe. ONE PAGE. It was talking about how Russians still paid bribes to the police even after the Soviet era. Having only one page devoted to all of Eastern Europe is sinful.
>>
>>2920972
If civilization is to be identified with centralization, then Russia was more "civilized" too, while Germany and Italy were pretty much barbarian.
>>
>>2920139
The PLC was back in medieval times and if schools taught about the medieval era, they might realize that the Enlightenment propaganda we've been fed by the eternal Anglo will break apart, and they'll realize that Christianity did not suppress Science or even social progress and was actually the bastion of Western civilization and the basis of our entire morality. They also might realize that medieval people weren't backwater idiots and a lot of early Enlightenment/Renaissance philosophical ideas actually have a medieval philosopher saying it first. Oops.
>>
>>2920251
The polish part. That would imply they were poles inhabiting those lands and not germans
>>
>>2922016
Please leave this board.

Thanks.
>>
>>2924159
Retard, this map has nothing to do with the inhabitants of the PLC but how it was divided between the Crown, the Grand Duchy etc...
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.