[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deification in Rome

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

So Julius Caesar was known as the "darling of Venus" due to his supposed descent from Aeneas who was supposedly born of Aphrodite and one of the Trojan princes(Anchises) before the fall of Troy. Did everyone just accept the story or was there actual proof that Caesar was his descendant?
>>
>>2919004
If I remember correctly one of Aeneas's sons or descendants was called Iulius, and Julius sounds similar to Iulius, and that's how Caesar showed he was descended from Aeneas.
>>
>>2919034
really? How could he be so sure about that? It could have been another Julius. Yet the other patricians(including the pontiffs) just went along and believed his claim? Could anyone pretty much say they were descendant from a god with enough of an asspull like that?
>>
>>2919034
Julius was his surname, the name for whole family of Venus descendents
just like all Spartans were supposedly descendants from Hercules (and Zeus, by the way).
>>
>>2919004

I'm rather disappointed to find out this thread is in fact not about pooping in Rome
>>
>>2919034
You know the Aeneid was written near then end of Augustus' reign right
>>
>>2920837
>having gayus for a name
No wonder he was every soldiers wife
>>
>>2920868
>he was every soldiers wife
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>2920861
Right but it was based on myth that had already been part of Rome for hundreds of years
>>
>>2920882
Some mocking account say 'he was every soldiers wife and every wife's husband' or something.
>>2920889
No ... before Vergil it was just the Romulus and Remus story, the deposition of kings, rape of the Sabinen women
>>
>>2920840
>underrated post

Though you may have dyslexia.
>>
>>2920837
>>2919034
So everyone, including the priests, just accepted his claim of being a descendant if a god and didn't even question it or accuse him as hubris?
>>
>>2920975
>Thats funny because there are roman coins showing Aeneas carrying his father minted before the Aeneid.
>>
>>2919004
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Romans claim to be Trojans when sacking, slaughtering, and enslaving the Greeks.
>>
>>2919004
the story is linked with the legend that attributes the foundation of Rome to Aeneas (indirectly, Romolus and Remus were his grandchildren), so it's understandable that with the accretion of the divine figure of Caesar they thought it was a good idea to accost the two figures like if Caesar was always meant to rule Rome
>>
>>2919004
I don't know if It was believed initially, but Augustus did a lot of propaganda to justify It. Basically, Aeneas had a son named Ascanius, who also was occasionally called Iulus, who's ancestors were Romulus and Remus. Because Iulus sounds like It could be related to the Iulian clan, Caesar and his descendents tried to use It to justify themselves
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.