[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anti intellectualism on 4chan and the internet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 2.png (205KB, 659x525px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
205KB, 659x525px
I've noticed on some boards on 4chan, specifically /v/, that there is a trend of anti intellectualism and critical thinking going on.

Take this thread for example;

>>>/v/379280994 (I would just link it using the thread number but copying and pasting isn't working for me right now)

On this thread, the OP managed to take an article on a topic, edit it to where it made it sound like it was 5 times worse than it actually was to the point where it was ridiculous (it's still a pretty bad law, but not to the point of complete ridiculousness), and managed to get 200+ replies on it. The problem is, despite the fact this law sounds ridiculous, almost nobody looked for the source article. One of the most important things that is taught to you in high school and college is to look for sources especially on topics like politics or stuff that sounds like borderline conspiracy theories. Yet almost nobody on this board did that, if people will automatically assume this thread was fully 100% true, what's stopping these same people from believing in full conspiracy theories knowing how gullible they are? Why is this trend in anti intellectualism and lack of sourcing/fact checking growing throughout the internet?
>>
>>2917105
I don't think you understand how threads like that work, no one even cares about the subject matter it's just an excuse to shitpost, you'll notice most of the posts are like any other "is piracy wrong" bait threads /v/ and /tv/ have every day
>>
>telling the truth online
>expecting othersn't to do likewise
>>
>>2917121
there's a fineline between shitposting and believing one's own shitposting. that's how /pol/ meme work; what is alleged to be ironic is repeated so many times and sources are distorted to such an extent to fit meme (read: conspiracy) narratives that people come to relate to and then believe in the memes themselves.
>>
>>2917121
This. You're a moron if you actually think any legitimate discussion is going to take place on any 4chan board
>>
>>2917105
>current year 317
>not being a Neo-Nazi Flat-Earth Creationist

Normies, get out REEEEEEE
>>
>>2917146
Its a tactic, of course I don't believe any ridiculous /pol/ memes like Pizzagate, Jewish conspiracy, blacks are subhuman, etc. but does it benefit me? does it serve its purpose? can it make my enemy lose? then yes I've would propagate it, make it become reality, and spread it to the masses to make sure it create the impact I wanted
Don't pretend the left don't do the same thing with the constant Russian blaming, beyond all the idiots who really believe it, there's the smart person who've just using it to their advantage
>>
>>2917272
>Don't pretend the left...
I said nothing about that, so please stop acting the victim. it's obvious that /pol/ has a large edge on internet propaganda and one of their most common arguments is that the left persecutes them and there's a media conspiracy against them. So you may not believe in the more awful /pol/ ideologies but you sure buy into others as your post makes clear.

> can it make my enemy lose? then yes I've would propagate it, make it become reality, and spread it to the masses to make sure it create the impact I wanted
there's always a degree of manipulation in politics, but the difference is that /pol/ doesn't even make arguments with basis in facts, but spouts baseless, sourceless lies that appeal to emotion and incite violence. stop pretending scumbags like you are somehow playing normal politics.
>>
>>2917105
>expecting an intellectual discussion from people who play video games
>>
>>2917105
>the vidya game board has easily tricked retards and underagers on it
Thanks for that info, OP.
>>
>>2917367
As if /his/ or 4chan in general is any different.
>>
>>2917776
>>
>>2917105
people don't have time, or don't care enough to look up stuff online just for a meaningless shitpost.
>>2917318
that is normal politics
>>
>>2917367
>>2917375
It happens to a lot of other boards, like /ic/ or /pol/, like those 2 anons discussed >>2917272 >>2917318
>>
File: 1426703048506.jpg (66KB, 448x700px)
1426703048506.jpg
66KB, 448x700px
>>2917105
>looking for intellectualism on a video game board
>>
File: 1496570638795.jpg (39KB, 453x576px)
1496570638795.jpg
39KB, 453x576px
>>2917121
>>
>>2917318
>there's always a degree of manipulation in politics, but the difference is that /pol/ doesn't even make arguments with basis in facts, but spouts baseless, sourceless lies that appeal to emotion and incite violence.

That's literally what they do

Remember when Assad was blammed for gas attacks three times without evidence, three times? And violence was threatened and finally enacted?

Or the bombings of Libya, or the WMDs in Iraq, or the shrouding of obvious, terrible truths like the reality in Egypt, in Turkey, in Nigeria and Mali, and Europe itself?
>>
>>2918216
>without evidence
That's not even true.

>and finally enacted
By /pol/'s meme president.

>WMD in Iraq
You should thank Republicans for this.
>>
File: 1494973153495.jpg (21KB, 183x183px)
1494973153495.jpg
21KB, 183x183px
>>2917318
>ideoLOGies
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.