[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Parthians / Sassanyds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

Why are the parthian and sassanyd empire so overlooked in history books and general culture?
Where can i find some good documentaries about these? what were they like?
>>
>>2916061
Personally, I would blame it on significance of Rome in period's history for European education, so most mentions of those states are limited to conflicts with Rome, and it's more often about Rome vs Parthia, rather than Rome vs Sassanids.
>>
I think the big reason is lack of written material. Zoroastrianism kinda frowned on writing, so there isn't much at all. Whereas the literature from Rome fills whole libraries and spans every aspect of Roman life, from Emperors to the layman.

I'm a Persiaboo so it triggers me a bit tbqh.
>>
>>2917938
Westerners did a lot of archaeology, but until now it's hard for them to get some manuscripts in those areas, I think. They get lost in libraries or kept private.
>>
>>2916061
cambridge history of iran volume three parts one and two cover the sassanids and the parthians. you can download it free from libgen.io
>>
>>2916061
>that map
Does anybody else wish they lived in such chaotic times?
>>
Because Byzantine Empire is the greatest empire of all time, no need to study sand niggers
>>
>>2917938
I mean there were quite a number of materials written, but a lot have been lost over the times. While it's not like every single religious and secular document was immediately destroyed following the Islamic conquest, it's around those times we start seeing a dearth in content from Middle Persian times. Unfortunately, a large part of our information on Zoroastrianism in Central Asia was lost with the campaigns of Qutayba ibn Muslim.

I do disagree with the part about Zoroastrianism frowning upon writing, especially with the authoring of the Denkard in the 10th century. Though Zoroastrians did see their religion going on the decline, they took steps to preserve it by creating elaborate commentary on scripture. Unfortunately, even large parts of the Denkard were lost over time.
>>
File: Roman Cavalry Helmet.jpg (103KB, 564x855px) Image search: [Google]
Roman Cavalry Helmet.jpg
103KB, 564x855px
>>2919862
>tfw living in Poland, with barely having any school education about early medieval Eastern Roman Empire, Balkans, or Persia
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.