[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Scandinavia become Christian?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: varg.jpg (633KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
varg.jpg
633KB, 1680x1050px
How did Scandinavia become Christian?
>>
by being btfo by superior Italians.
>>
Chimped out at Anglos and got btfo
>>
>>2913936
same way britain was: slow cultural diffusion followed by local rulers adopting and enforcing it
>>
>>2913936
Cus paganism was trash lol
>>
>>2913936
>Hey Glurfbfjord, tell me, if you were the chief instead of me, what'd you do to make our tribe richer?
>Schwurzblufd, my jarl, maybe we could trade with the southerners, but they have this weird obsession with their one God and the guy who died for them an-
>Praise Hvítakristr, Glurfbfjord.
>>
/his/ in 3017: How did Scandinavia become Islamic?
>>
>>2913994
*zoroastrian
>>
For Norway, read: Read Haakon the Good's Saga, Olaf Tryggvason's Saga, Olaf the Holy's Saga and Harald Hardrada's Saga

Essentially: convert or die (with the exception of Haakon the Good)
>>
The same way they Christianized the Germans and Franks. Patience and lots of missionaries. Eventually you convert an important chieftain and all the clans under him follow suit.
>>
File: 1472673306993.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1472673306993.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>2913936
I wrote a paper on that. Basically, barely anyone gave too much of a fuck about what the official religion of everyone was, but there were benefits like better relationships with the rest of Europe, trade, science et.c. from Christianity. There were those who resisted with force, but the last official ones were killed at Uppsala, where the norse temple was burned down (and Uppsala Church was built on top).

One of my favorite "alternative history" ponders is, "How would the North look today if we had remained norse in our belief? How would it have shaped our relations, architecture et.c. et.c."
>>
>>2914155
That's a big alternate history. If you could magically clap your hands and convert all northerners to Norse paganism today most people probably wouldn't care and it'd be a big improvement over the atheistic humanism Scandinavia believes today but in a historical sense it would have cause a lot of problems. Scandinavian was geographic isolated to Southern Europe, Russia and (more difficultly) North America so they had no choice but to interact with Christians to a heavy extent.
>>
>>2914175
True. I think, eventually, there would be some sort of crusade or something and christianity would have been spread by force (or just like it was in our timeline, by being better than the other option).
>>
Why wasn't there any resistance to the reformation like in other parts of Europe, why didn't at least one Scandinavian country remain catholic like for example Ireland did as a fuck you to England
>>
>>2914189
They had a civil war over it (backed by Sweden) in Denmark and the protestant side won
>>
>>2914213
Ohhh, sounds interesting I'll look into that
>>
Same way it became secular and progressive.

It was socially fashionable and useful for the political elite, and they imposed it on everyone else.
>>
>>2913936
olaf tryggwasonar
>>
>>2914004
I for one would support a zoroastrian revival in Iran which goes on to restore the imperial borders as it was under Darius the great
>>
>>2913994
>>2914004
>>2916171
Like drinking a fine wine
>>
>>2914155
Did the Medieval Warm Period have any impact? Because I find it curious that both the Norse and the Hungarians started becoming Christian at roughly the same time (about 1000 AD), which coincides with the start of the MWP. I've been wondering if the improved economy made Christianity more acceptable than a warrior/pagan culture.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.