[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cultural Appropriation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 280
Thread images: 32

File: sauerkraut-wm35.jpg (138KB, 533x400px) Image search: [Google]
sauerkraut-wm35.jpg
138KB, 533x400px
Is cultural appropriation a real thing, and is it a bad thing?
>>
>>2911238
>Is cultural appropriation a real thing
yes
>is it a bad thing?
not necessarily. there are good and bad examples.
>>
>>2911238
It's real and it's mainly a means with which a economically and socially marginalized people are stripped with what remains of their culture by those in power seeking new fads or notions of self which more often than not erases the processes that put said marginalized in their positions in the first place
>>
You can't own a culture. It's a stupid concept.
>>
>>2911245
How does it necessarily erase their culture though? No sjw who argues this can ever give adequate examples. And why do people complain about cultural appropriation of Asian cultures too it it's all about the marginalized? You're thinking only of native Americans and maybe even blacks....I still don't understand why wearing dreads or cornrows are appropriation though. Sure it looks ugly on most whites, but so what?
>>
>>2911238
It's a stupid idea. I don't cry when niggers wear suits, so niggers shouldn't cry when dumb potheads get dreads.
>>
>>2911289
not the guy but

imagine wearing a military jacket, with the patches and all, around
>>
>>2911238
Yes culture appropriation exists, see white teenagers and rap, homosexuals and marriage and anyone who alters language in any form.

No it's not bad. Appropriation is how culture grows and develops, and how civilized culture forms.
>>
>>2911238
>Is cultural appropriation a real thing,
Obviously yes. The definition being "the adoption or use of the elements of one culture by members of another culture" it basically implies that any sort of cultural exchange is cultural appropriation. Chinks wearing western fashion is cultural appropriation. Brits attempting to cook french cuisine is cultural appropriation.
>and is it a bad thing?
Fuck no. We can't even agree about individual intellectual property rights, neverfuckingmind collective property rights.
If you see injuns complaining about cultural appropriation, do remind them to stop getting drunk.
>>
>>2911297
Are you saying that I am downplaying the sacrifices of the troops by wearing the uniform when I did not serve? How is that necessarily bad though if I'm doing it say, out of respect and love for them? Not mocking or disregarding their sacrifice.
>>
There is something a bit wrong with a white guy pretending to be an authentic native american shaman isn't there though? Or a white guy practising something like voodoo?
>>
>>2911363
If you believe that culture and ethnicity are inherently connected, then yes. There are some religions/cultural ideas that are inherently kind of ethnocentric (Japan comes to mind). Can someone who isn't German drive a Volkswagen?
>>
>>2911363
>a white guy pretending to be an authentic native american shaman isn't there though?
That's not cultural appropriation, that's fraud.
>Or a white guy practising something like voodoo?
Short of there being some sort of stated ethnic requirement, there's nothing wrong with that. No worse than west africans practicing christianity.
>>
>>2911337
there are generally laws against wearing a uniform (as opposed to some random set of clothes) that one is not entitled to.
>>
File: asuka best girl.jpg (154KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
asuka best girl.jpg
154KB, 720x960px
>cultural appropriation is a bullshit concept because nobody owns a culture
>blacks aren't allowed to adopt ancient egyptian culture because they don't own it

make up your mind /his/
>>
>>2911681
It's not as if they're not allowed.

It's they're plain wrong.

Two entirely different things.
>>
It's real in a limited sense. Cultures naturally mix together and borrow ideas from one another. What some would say is the culture of this or that people or country is most likely actually a combination of a massive amount of different cultures. In this sense, there is appropriation. However, in a more limited sense, culture can be appropriated if an individual of one culture takes on the ideas of another culture which is radically different from their own in an attempt to keep it as unchanged as possible. It's actually a facade of authenticity which makes something appropriative. It's really only an issue if it's disrespectful or shallow, though. Think of hippies who bastardize the fuck out of Buddhism and reduce it to "smoke weed and meditate sometimes."
>>
>>2911686
**In this sense, there is NOT appropriation.**
>>
>>2911372
>Can someone who isn't German drive a Volkswagen?
I don't think even Hitler, who supported the idea of that car a lot, would mind.
He'd be kinda proud, desu.
>>
>>2911681
that's a boy isn't it
>>
File: sjw.png (408KB, 590x681px) Image search: [Google]
sjw.png
408KB, 590x681px
>>2911238
No, only lesser races complain about it
>>
>>2911681
It's like Patton claiming to be Caesar, he can pretend and take inspiration from the romans as much as he wants, but he isn't nor was fucking Caesar or a roman.
>>
>>2911704
Nigger, do you see those hips? That's a girl if i've ever seen one.
>>
>>2911238
If white people do it it's bad. They're oppressors and will always be oppressors.
Move towards black people: gentrification
Move away from people: white flight
>>
>>2911681
I think the objection is to lying about it.
>>
>>2911245
Actually native Americans aren't real. Genetically they're not seperate from siberians. I do, however, support a revival of torture-murder and scalping.
>>
I don't care if people can or can't do it, I just want it to be applied universally whenever it gets decided

if blacks have a problem with white people wearing dreadlocks, they can give up white culture and start living in mud huts
>>
>>2911245
I think you're confused. This is not an Evergreen College forum.
>>
>>2911289
The erasing of culture pretty much works the opposite way of how lefties/SJWs think. What happens is other cultures adopt the dominant one and slowly erase their identity in the process as the dominant culture superimposes itself over it. A white girl wearing a kimono isn't going to lead to the death of Japanese culture but Japan trying to be more western and more readily adopting western culture sure as fuck lead to Japanese culture at least being mutated so as to be increasingly unrecognizable.
>>
>>2911995
And that's an example of course, Japanese culture has been, of course, becoming slowly more western for the last 150 years.
>>
>>2911681
That's not cultural appropriation, that's history appropriation.
It's the same difference as niggers acting western and niggers pretending they owned dixieland cotton plantations in which white slaves laboured.
>>
File: WE WUZ AZTECZ.jpg (235KB, 530x800px) Image search: [Google]
WE WUZ AZTECZ.jpg
235KB, 530x800px
I think it's a real and important subject. Things like Native America headdresses, to give a popular example, aren't just fancy clothes like a European military uniform, there's a meaning and symbolism there, and to see a white guy wearing one at a fucking football game might make a Native feel belittled, I understand that.

It's just that this isn't the only sort of thing that SJWs complain about. Hair style, for example, as an anon mentioned above. Dreads are much more common among African Americans,sure, but it's literally just a hairstyle. There's no meaning and symbolism there.
>>
>>2911238
The entire world have appropriated western culture and science so I would say its a good thing.

Unless you want all non-whites going back to not living past their 40s without electricity and democracy.
>>
>>2911681
They can adopt ancient egyptian culture if they'd like, the problem people have with it is that they're lying about it and pretending it was originally theirs.

Just like white people can adopt rap but if they start claiming it was originally white then people would have a problem.
>>
Sure it's real. It's also fucking vital if you intend your ridiculously minority culture to survive into the coming centuries. It's the only immortality they're going to get, so why the fuck wouldn't you be excited that the dominant group is embracing and preserving your values rather than simply extinguishing them?
>>
>>2911245

But SJWs got butthurt and protested a Japanese government sponsored kimono sale in Boston.

How are the Nips marginalized? They have a per capital income on par with Euro nations even after all their economic crises and are the third largest economy by a wide margin.
>>
>>2911238
Those people could well be Native American. You need a 24andme to prove it hitler?
>>
>>2911238
The same darkies bitching about "cultural appropriation" seem perfectly fine using white cultural things like modern medicine, European languages, vaccines, electricity, running water, democracy, Christianity (inb4 "it's middle eastern, Muhammad said so"), the Latin alphabet, computers, the internet, genetically modified foods, cars, airplanes, etc.

Maybe whites ought to take those back.
>>
>>2912127
It's like how Jews are marginalised.
>>
>>2912134
We should certinaly demand payment
>>
>>2911238

It´s one those things that some Americans cry about and try to impose while most of the world just wonders what the hell went wrong in the US.
>>
>>2912138
Your view of invention is incredibly myopic

China will now charge a 10% tax on every ounce of gunpowder and paper used by non-Chinese
>>
>>2912143

Basically this, America is utterly autistic about identity to a damaging level.
>>
>>2912147
This is the conclusion of SJW thought process
>>
>>2912147
Actually the mongols brought it to us as a weapon so really we need to resurrect the mongol empire as payment, something baron von Sternberg tried to do before he was interrupted by communists
>>
>>2912158
Americans are puritans. They were autistic about anti-communism and white nationalism (Franklin thought Germans were swarthy). Now they're autistic about communism, by which I mean left-influenced social ideas.
>>
>>2911245
>It's real and it's mainly a means with which a economically and socially marginalized people
That would include every people, poor Whites and all.
>>
>>2911243
>>2911245
How about this. Black women are no longer allowed to straighten their hair and dye it blond. The 0.00001% of Whites will stop wearing cornrows will stop. Good trade off?
>>
>>2911238
>Is cultural appropriation a real thing, and is it a bad thing?
It really isn't. Cultural diffusion is a thing. For example blacks got the idea of Jazz and blues from Euro-American folk music yet no one is saying they appropriated it.
>>
>>2912147
We can trade usage rights with cultures that actually invented things, like the Chinese, Indians, etc..

The tax will only apply to Arabs, Blacks, Hispanics, etc.

inb4 "muh peanut butter" that's a myth
inb4 "muh Arabic numerals" those are Indian numerals
inb4 "muh tortillas" white had lefse, gyros, etc. long before the Aztecs
>>
File: black_girl_in_dirndl.jpg (78KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
black_girl_in_dirndl.jpg
78KB, 768x576px
Would any leftist in the thread agree that this is an example of cultural appropriation that needs to stop?
>>
>>2912136

But at least Jews think they are marginalized.

It was really odd in grad school watching SJWs try to convince the Korean military students that they should feel inferior and agreieved about shit they didn't care about.
>>
>>2912212
Jews are literally the 2nd richest demographic (after Hindus) and still bitch about "systematic racism" and how racist white gentiles are.
>>
>>2911238
Only brown people give a fuck about that. You don't see the Italians complain when someone eats pasta, or the Irish when someone celebrates St. Patrick's Day
>>
>>2912132
>Those people could well be Native American.
You had never see natives I your life I think
>>
>>2912229
>You don't see the Italians complain when someone eats pasta, or the Irish when someone celebrates St. Patrick's Day
We should start. After all, in the American context Irish or Italians were hardly less "marginalized" than Blacks or Mexicans.
>>
>>2912229

A better comparison would be like a Chadian man pretending to be a Cardinal giving out communion for a monetary payment.

most of the complaints Natives give are over plastic shamanism which is legit bad.
>>
File: 1475677379702.jpg (81KB, 630x429px) Image search: [Google]
1475677379702.jpg
81KB, 630x429px
Cultural appropriation exhibit A.
>>
>>2912366
>drinking alcohol is cultural appropriation
at least you can tell that they aren't muslims
>>
>>2911289
Think about gangster rap and the gangster image, it used to be a lot of songs that where critical about the gangster lifestyles. Then white people wanted to be gangster, then everyone wanted to be gangster.
>>
>>2911704
it's a girl(male)
>>
>>2911814
One must learn to not trust his eyes
>>
>>2912385
>Western clothes
>during Oktoberfest
>>
>>2911238
I've recently experienced an appropriation of my culture and I feel fucking violated and disgusted. I always thought it was a meme until I saw the bastardization of my people's customs and practices for commercial gain. White hipsters can fuck right off. Yuppie (((worldly))) whites are some of the most fucking vile, shallow, pretentious, faggoty people in the world.
>>
>>2912434
>I've recently experienced an appropriation of my culture and I feel fucking violated and disgusted.
Me too. Niggers celebrating Saint Patrick's day.
>>
>>2912207
Alright, man. I expect some payment to Mexico everytime you use a product with corn though.
>>
>>2912134
>electricity
>European
Maybe Africans should demand payment whenever someone use heat, seeing how they invented fire.

You poltards never fail to make me laugh.
>>
I don't understand whites who obsess over "cherokee" ancestry. Why do you want to be a native american so bad? What is appealing about the lifestyle? Native Americans don't give a flying fuck about their roots and shit nowadays. You're just embarrassing yourselves.
>>
>>2912500
>I don't understand whites who obsess over "cherokee" ancestry
Just modern sjw cuckbait in our liberal society
>Why do you want to be a native american so bad?
Self-respecting Whites don't. We live in a vapid time though and it's fashionable among the unwashed masses.
>>
>>2912453
You do realise /pol/ never ask for this? its just satire to explain how retarded SJW are to themselves
Either both are cultural appropriation or nothing is, else and it just prove SJW hypocrisy

>inb4 you have to be oppressed to be appropriated
>>
>>2912134
Agriculture,Scripture,dominant religions,units of time measurements,animal husbandry and the foundations of modern medicine,sociology and chemistry originated in and spread from the middle east to europe. Should Europeans stop using that too?
>>
>>2911245
>mfw I didn't believe that shit until I saw red packets being treated like loot crates in games for Chinese New Year
>>
>>2912500

Americans are utterly obsessed with categorising people.
>>
>>2912500
They are mongrel barbarians who identify more with barbaric culture due to how "free spirited, wild, etc" it is than to their own ancestors
>>
I don't think it's a valuable term.

Usually when people use artifacts of other cultures it's because they identify with something in it as a positive, and not a negative and aren't trying to devalue it in any way.

When I was young I listened to a lot of hiphop and it certainly was beneficial to me, but it's not like I was claiming that it was my own.

So no, I don't think the term is appropriate actually. I think "cultural exchange" is vastly better.
>>
>>2912400
You're tripping. Tupac and Biggie Smalls were in on the block in the early days of rap, and they were all about that life, BIG especially. You're making up a history to justify your conclusion.
>>
>>2912453
>Africans invented fire
What is this retarded autism?
>>
I once saw another yank dressed in cloak & tunic being dragged from an Irish pub while screaming about how he was "one of yoouuu!!".

I don't interact with other Americans overseas.
>>
>>2911238
yes
>is it a bad thing?
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
>>
>>2911920
>Houses are white culture

Somebody get this hothead out of here
>>
>>2912286
You're also being a biological essentialist. In Australia there are people with white skin and blue eyes who are indigenous. Don't be so racist.
>>
>>2912599
>modern western style house
>African houses
Pick one.
>>
>>2912453
Humans come from around the Pontic Steppe off
>>
>>2912599
No, but smartphones are, so perhaps black people should stop shitposting on Twitter.
>>
>>2912603
West African Houses do look better now that you mention it
>>
File: NTT_docomo_company_logos.svg.png (41KB, 2000x484px) Image search: [Google]
NTT_docomo_company_logos.svg.png
41KB, 2000x484px
>>2912614
>Technology is White

I cannot handle these many redpills
>>
File: sweden-hills_MG_1973.jpg (225KB, 950x561px) Image search: [Google]
sweden-hills_MG_1973.jpg
225KB, 950x561px
Japan appropriating Swedish culture. Thoughts?

http://mymodernmet.com/hokkaido-sweden-hills/
>>
>>2912655
Its okay if its white people
>>
>>2912618
I didn't say "technology".

I was being very specific.
>>
>>2912713
And the first successful Smartphone were invented and introduced by pic related

It's hardly white culture whatever the fuck that's supposed to be
>>
>>2912722
Are you gonna argue that half Irish, half Syrian Steve jobs wasn't white?
>>
>>2912722
Point is that there's no reason to whine about cultural appropriation when blacks aren't a minority in the world.

In fact, everyone who uses anything whites have made are the true appropriators because white people are literally a minority.
>>
>>2912565
Neither of them were really about that life though, and Biggie still gets frequently put on the spot for exaggerating how bad his childhood was. His mom worked two jobs but she still made enough to send him to private school when he was younger, think about that. Tupac also gets flak for the time he was in art school learning ballet and shit. They probably had hard lives and their families were tight with money but a lot of what they claim in their songs can be taken with a grain of salt.
He's right about earlier rap, the tone is more self-aware across the board and for every song that seems to glorify street culture, there's another one that focuses on the adverse effects of it with the morals "stay off the streets, stay in school."
>>
>>2911653
Only in relation to fraud and security. Nothing stops you at a Halloween party or LARPing.
>>
>>2911681
They can adopt it all they want. I'm still going to mock and argue against claims about history, though.

Fuck, I'd be thrilled of blacks started adopting almost any other culture than the current amorphous international black ghetto culture.
>>
>>2912747
Maybe that's true, but it sure as shit wasn't white people who made Ice-T write "Cop Killer". That shit emerged organically from black culture.
>>
>>2912789
This. Blacks aping Egyptian culture is always cringy, forced, ideologically motivated and superficial. Meanwhile Whites who ape black culture usually seem to have an authentic love for black culture and while inevitably are wiggers or cucks seem to come off as better imo.
>>
>>2912210
I'm a leftist, and I don't give a shit as long as I get to see some decent cleavage. Don't care much about cultural appropriation shit, tho.
>>
>>2912655
Asthetic af.
>>
>>2912816
That's not exactly what I meant. I just meant that it's not the cultural adoption itself. That's whatever. Its the factually wrong argument about history itself. I don't five a fuck who adopts what. I just don't want to tolerate bullshit lies about history.

"I like to worship cats and build pyramids l" vs "I am literally a descendent of so and so and X culture was actually Y ethnicity and I have nothing to back up that claim"
>>
>>2912747
Tupac said himself on numerous occasions he wasn't a gangster
>>
>>2912875
>"I like to worship cats and build pyramids l"
The problem is most Blacks don't act like that. I hardly see black egptyboos just glorify and enjoy Egyptian culture, mustic, arts, folklore ect without the kang angle. I'm not saying it never happens but it doesn't happen often enough. Also Blacks ignore the effect Hellenism and Greek cultural diffusion had on Egypt during and after the Ptolemaic dynasty which pretty much defined Egypt before the Muslim era and gave us some of the most interesting things about Egypt that we think of.

Meanwhile Whites who like reggae, rap, black culture, black hip-hop, black food, ect probably really like it for what it is and hate or are indifferent to White culture.
>>
File: 1449310881718.jpg (13KB, 250x300px) Image search: [Google]
1449310881718.jpg
13KB, 250x300px
if non-whites are complaining about whites culturally appropriating little bits of their culture, then these same non-whites in turn, should stop culturally appropriating whites: stop using modern healthcare, stop using any electric appliance, stop living in any modern housing, stop using any modern transportation method, stop living in a 1rst world country, etc. that's all cultural appropriation.

Also exempt yourself from any constitutional rights and freedoms, otherwise you'd be culturally appropriating white culture.
>>
>>2911238

however you paint it, this is not okay IN THE SLIGHTEST
>>
>>2912938
You're a fucking moron if you're claiming modern social organization and institution as a component of white culture.
>>
>>2912938
Also, what the fuck is "white" culture? You're probably a fucking mutt Amerifat who lost your ancestral culture and now put your thick Amerifat sausage fingers on anything of vaguely European origin.
>>
File: IMG_0695.jpg (89KB, 525x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0695.jpg
89KB, 525x720px
>>
>>2913182
So in a society where residential schools are now closed it's okay?

What about what people teaching yoga class? When does that become acceptable?
>>
>>2913182
>implying those White kids were actually trying to be injuns and not just role playing for fun
Whoever made that needs to kys
>>
>>2913048
It's leftist who decided to lump all Whites together in order to have a favored "privilged" class versus a favored under class despite it making no sense in any historic or contemporary context.
>>
Buddhists needs to stop appropriating older bhuddists. Almost all Japanese and Korean culture should stop appropriating China. Islam and Christianity need to stop appropriating Jews. Jews should stop appropriating Satan. Etc.
>>
>>2911895
I hope you're sarcastic

>Move towards black people: gentrification

That doesn't happen when white people merely move in. If white factory workers move in a predominatly-black area/ ghetto, the housing prices don't magically go up, because the landlord can't squeeze more money than he does; that happens when rich white people move in for various reasons (be it because they're cheapstakes, because they find urban decay "inspiring" or whatever) and the landlords notice, raising prices of both buying and renting, thus indirectly kicking previous residents out.

>>2913048
>What is "white" culture?

Assuming we're referring people that have always been considered "white" in the USA (so no Mediterraneans, Irish or Slavs), then we're talking about a culture that heavily draws upon Protestant Work Ethic and British culture.
>>
>>2913182
>//
But...anon.. they can be dressed like their native ancestors now if they want soo...what the hell is the point of that post? Thank you for wasting everyone's time and further proving my point that there are no really good arguments against it.>>2911289
>>
>>2912400
Not all rap was gangster and not all rap is still gangster. The society at larger( "The MAN") tried to shut it down not everyday people of different races, who did eventually adopt it. The establishment is still trying to shut it down but realize they can't because it has one favor with the masses already. Thus their attempt failed and black culture won out. Blacks instead want to see this as a negative thing for some reason.
>>
File: lexo.png (394KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
lexo.png
394KB, 600x449px
>>2913048
>>2913037
t. angry non-white

Whites invented all modern technology and the concepts of modern civilization such as constitutional rights and freedoms.
I am Swiss with some German background lol, living in Switzerland.
>>
>>2912812
>but it sure as shit wasn't white people who made Ice-T write "Cop Killer".
Then kind of did when both the police and FBI tried to shut down NWA for the Fuck the police song.
>>
>>2912567
No, I was making the other guy look stupid for claiming that electricity is an European invention, when electricity is something that naturally occurs in nature. Like Fire
>>
File: Saluto_Romano.png (786KB, 614x792px) Image search: [Google]
Saluto_Romano.png
786KB, 614x792px
>>2911238
Yes it called the Nazis
>>
>>2911686
>It's actually a facade of authenticity which makes something appropriative. It's really only an issue if it's disrespectful or shallow, though.

I agree, which is why the appropriation of an intellectual heritage is inappropriate, especially if that heritage is existentially threatened.

Which is why hippies being dipshits about Tibetan Buddhism or frauds claiming they are masters of a Tibetan Buddhist tradition, are major ass wipes.
>>
Has anyone ever explained the fundamental difference between forbidding cultural mixing and forbidding racial mixing?
>>
File: 1492077880054.jpg (28KB, 287x266px) Image search: [Google]
1492077880054.jpg
28KB, 287x266px
>Live in a society that values the strength of multiculturalism
>Hey, don't go about doing things that aren't part of your culture
Whut?
>>
>>2913867
>>2913870
The idea of cultural appropriation is in practice nothing more than a form of liberal censorship. That's all. Beyond that it has no substance.
>>
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/number-of-indigenous-art-knock-offs-for-sale-in-yellowknife-shocks-dene-designer-1.4146427
>>
>>2912526
Actually their entire point was that - exactly because of these absurdities - we should ignore claims of 'cultural appropriation'. I'm not sure if inventions count as culture but what is clear is that you entirely missed the point and wanted to feel like a smart guy - despite being a not-smart guy. lrn 2 read
>>
>>2914058
instead of complaining about cheap knock-offs she could be making some money selling the real deal maybe selling clothing with a label explaining the meaning of the patterns and cultural meaning.Women love that shit.Then she would be propagating her culture.
>>
File: Italian dress.jpg (54KB, 480x705px) Image search: [Google]
Italian dress.jpg
54KB, 480x705px
>>2914058
>>2914123
This raises an interesting point which goes beyond "Muh appropriation" in the social sense. Namely whether or not a group of people has intellectual property rights to their historical culture. This goes beyond injuns and an example could be whether or not Italians have exclusively rights to Italian Dress, Tarantella, Parmesan cheese, ect. Whether Scots have exclusive right to use the kilt, ect. It even goes so far as to say portrayals of a race of people (they use the injun dolls made in China) is cultural appropriation.

I personally think it's bullshit to an extent and while I by no means support the degrading of any traditional culture where it's mass produced, sanitized and sold for a lowest common denominator consumer audience at the same time I should have every right to make a feather dress, call it "Indian feather dress" and sell it if I so please.
>>
>>2914144
as a Scot i remember being impressed by the amount of bag pipe players in Scottish dress from around the world ,their where at festivals.

Although we mock American tourists Ive never heard of anyone demanding the Americans take off the kilt off or try and stop cheap Chinese goods or being angry or outraged

I guess because its mostly for tourists and the tourist industry depends on spreading that culture but Ive never heard of anyone complaining of "cultural appropriation" outside of America. Personal i think its relegated to America , being a melting pot of different cultures it makes sense some bitter people are defensive about their culture and their "identity"
>>
You know that black people are the new aristocracy when they get to enact sumptuary laws to prevent us, peasants, from imitating their appearance.
>>
>>2914223
>I guess because its mostly for tourists and the tourist industry depends on spreading that culture but Ive never heard of anyone complaining of "cultural appropriation" outside of America. Personal i think its relegated to America , being a melting pot of different cultures it makes sense some bitter people are defensive about their culture and their "identity"
And sadly, as Americanization spreads, so does backward american beliefs like cultural appropriation.
>>
>>2912655
Traditional Swedish culture is fair game since the Swedes themselves have given up on it.

Also taking on foreign cultures is part of Japanese culture.
>>
>>2914251
well it cant really spread its very nature is inward.For most people round the world regardless if they are making a living , part of their identity or just for fun. it always be open.They will want you to see what they celebrate try their food etc.Bitter American college kids who are insecure about themselves and the world will never change that. nobody wants to emulate them.
>>
>>2911238
It's real, but only in the sense that if, say, a hispanic person takes something from other culture and says "this is our thing as mexican/peruvian/etc", then yeah.
A white chick wearing a kimono is not cultural appropriation.
>>
>>2914144
Didn't the french make it so that only wine produced in the Champagne region can legally called "Champagne"? Which is why the term fizzy wine exists.
>>
File: 21-008.jpg (49KB, 503x367px) Image search: [Google]
21-008.jpg
49KB, 503x367px
>>2913829
>tfw you realize a small group of German cosplayers successfully dominated the European continent for 4 to 5 years
>>
The problem with cultural appropriation and people being upset about it is how far do you go to define it?
Like people say Fried chicken would be in black culture but it originates in Scotland in the middle ages. So would that be cultural appropriation? Dreadlocks have been a part of human culture as long as there had been long hair and no showers, but they are modernly associated with Rastafarianism which is a Religion (Bob Marley and shit) and wearing them and not being a part of the religion would be appropriation.
The Cultural Appropriation thing is akin to kids who don't want to share their toys so they go off into a corner to play by them self. Isn't is better to share your culture and be able to keep a healthy sense of what your culture is?
>>
>>2911995
fuck me thats an excellent point

if white people are duped into believing the cheap knockoff are the real thing for a given culture, then the enclaves in which the real culture is left remain pure
>>
>>2912615
you have to go back to the bush, Baloobaa.
>>
>>2914378
idk but they are smart to do that. Some Italian townships wanted to do that with famous cheeses but sadly I didn't win as of yet.
>>
>>2911795
Patton was Hannibal
>>
It's a real thing, sure, but it's not a significant thing. It's not significantly different than when reddit appropriates our "epic maymays" and misuses them. It's seen as more significant because it's tied to a person's cultural identity than to their chosen identity, but it doesn't do any more harm than that. It is, at worst, disrespectful.
>>
>>2911245
>marginalized people
Should be pushed off the margins and out of the pages of history entirely. Imagine that! Wasting perfectly good margins that could be filled with quirky little paintings of snails and knights rather than the butthurt faggots of the world...
>>
>>2912035
>aren't just fancy clothes like a European military uniform, there's a meaning and symbolism there,
Nigger take and think about what you just said.
If there's no meaning or symbolism behind European military uniforms, then how the fuck can you know a European military uniform when you see one? It obviously has meaning and symbolism behind it, they wouldn't wear it as a uniform if it didn't would they, I mean it kind of defeats the purpose of a uniform if it doesn't symbolize "We are the people who fight for X, do not fuck with us."

>to see a white guy wearing one at a fucking football game might make a Native feel belittled, I understand that.
You understand nothing.
>>
>>2912526
Except the populations that invented those things were essentially genocided by the Arabs. Arabs have no legitimate claim to any pre-medieval Middle Eastern/North African achievements.
>>
File: Pepe_teeth.png (188KB, 418x359px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe_teeth.png
188KB, 418x359px
>>2911238
Imagine a world in which non-Germanic weren't able to utilize the culture of Germanics.
The overwhelming majority of the world would would have a pre-newtonian understanding or reality and be languishing with all the problems that means.
It's shit like this that drives decent liberals to not only conservatism but a hyper-reactionary version of it.
Honestly, consider for a moment what whites actually bring to the table, why the fuck is this public domain but a Caucasian rapping or trying on a head-dress is some grave injustice?
>>
I've said it before and I'll say it again, "& Humanities" was a big frickn mistake.
>>
>>2912188
Some black girls looks better with straight hair though...blonde on them looks trashy though unless their melanesians.
>>
>>2912303
Pasta is chinese and tomatoes are american. So Italian food is cultural appropriation.
>>
>>2915190
>Except the populations that invented those things were essentially genocided by the Arabs

epic meme
>>
>>2911914
Native Americans are real and yes they do cluster amongst themselves more than Siberian Natives save for Inuit who are clearly differentiated from other Indigenous people. Regardless the lingusitic and cultural groupings of the Americas have expanded out for over ten thousand years.

You're literally using erasure as a means of permitting the theft of indigenous iconography.
>>2911983
Nah
>>2912127
The dynamics of Japanese in Japan and Japanese Americans are different. In Japan when I visit family they enjoy foriegners and immigrants "becoming Japanese" in my hometown and the experiences of the remaining Japanese Americans who came back after the internment camps their culture was seen as comedic, savage and subordinate.

Appropriation is about power, those in the nationstate vs those who are or were subaltern.
>>2912175
In the context of the United States the culture of poor whites was taken from the ranks of poor blacks whom poor white often associated with Jazz, Zydeco, Rock n Roll, etc... But yes there is say an appropriation of Redneck culture by middle class whites however because it's class based the dynamics are not the same as race based cultural "theft".

>>2912188
1. Straight hair is not a singular races trait 2. The conditions that created and create the pressure to straighten hair derives from white social norms and standards placed on black women and men

False equivalency.
>>2912210
Read the topic above about Japan

False equivalency
>>2912431
False equivalency
>>2912500
It made poor whites feel attached to America as True natives unlike European immigrants
>>2912897
Nah
>>2912938
Those things are white inventions and clearly in a society white dominated for its entirety they are the people who have dictated what minorities do.
>>2913870
Cultural appropriation is not the same as cultural diffusion or acculturation.

False equivalency
>>
File: 1465369571379.jpg (51KB, 460x391px) Image search: [Google]
1465369571379.jpg
51KB, 460x391px
>>2915517
>replying to more than 5 posts in a single post
Holy shit, kill yourself.
>>
>>2911245
I guess all of Asia including the Levant and Africa and native americans and all citizens of American and Europe of such genealogy should stop driving cars, wearing our clothes, using electricity, and cease living any lifestyle that benefits from or uses civilization based on European cultural history, science, medicine, or technology.

we've only been the dominant power as a cultural and genetic group for a few hundred years. since the fall of the western Roman empire we have not had steady means of trade and commerce with Africa and the rest of Eurasia especially after the rise of Islam, thus leaving continental Europe cramped, poor, and lacking the resources available by trade to the rest of Eurasia and north Africa. not to mention the thousands of battles of attempted and successful conquest of European lands by caliphates and khanates.
>>
>>2915617
Except all those examples are 1. The culmination of thousands of ethnic groups, their labour and for the increased effiencies their labour was not able to meet.

It's also ignoring European culture being derived in large part from the Western Asian Littoral.

Seems as though you're glossing over the history of northern barbarians and claiming the accomplisments of the acient world as your own people's.
>>
It's a completely vacuous and idiotic non-concept, and I quite rightfully treat anyone who uses it non-ironically with total contempt.

I get the sense that academics started with something simple like mere rudeness and went completely nuts, and somehow we ended up with this stupid shit.
>>
>>2913810
Are you saying Ice-T has no agency? That he's just an animal that reacts without choice to the behavior of The White Man?
>>
>>2915617
Cultural Mixing and Utilising Technology is not Cultural Appropriation. Stop being retarded.
>>
You know whats a really bad thing? Historical Revisionism, thousand times worse than Cultural Appropriation
>>
File: 1466425005413.png (372KB, 842x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466425005413.png
372KB, 842x720px
>>2915833
>wahhh why won't people stop wearing kimonos/sombreros/feather head dresses for halloween :( das rayciss
>not retarded
>>
File: EMPIRE-NEWS.jpg (241KB, 760x460px) Image search: [Google]
EMPIRE-NEWS.jpg
241KB, 760x460px
>>2915843
A lot of culturally themed Halloween costumes are pretty racist though. As they're based on ethnic stereotypes, that ridicule the cultures of others.

I fail to see how protesting that is retarded.
>>
>>2915719
I don't think you know how provocation works. NWA received criticism from the government urging them to drop the act, and Fuck Tha Police was met with varying levels of censorship. Other people can chime in and exercise their right to freedom of speech, because y'know that *was* initially put in there to protect citizens who want to criticize the government. Plus, Ice-T admitted himself that song his a work of fiction that wasn't intended to encourage real actions.
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/06/19/arts/rapper-ice-t-defends-song-against-spreading-boycott.html
>>
File: 1468763443732.jpg (266KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1468763443732.jpg
266KB, 1200x1200px
>>2915903
They only "ridicule" if you're a thin skinned douchebag with a stick up your ass.
>wahhhhh party costumes for drunk college sluts aren't historically accurate this is literally the trail of tears all over again :'((((((((((
I bet you're a real blast to be around.
As a gook, I don't get upset when chicks wear a qipao, and to claim its racist is degrading the term itself to mean "anything I get upset about".
>>
>>2915921
For everyone it's an issue, when a middle class believes to be a muslim and blows in a concert
>>
>>2915921
Do anime reaction images and greentexting ridiculous statements pretending they were what I implied win your debates in real life too anon?

Wearing a Qipao is not cultural appropriation though, it's cultural mixing. A woman would wear that because she appreciated the style and in a way it's a credit to Chinese culture that other ethnicities would enjoy such clothing too. That has nothing to do with racist Halloween costumes though.
>>
There's a different between diffusion and appropriation. Appropriation by it's nature is done with the intention of using and discarding whatever it is. it's never done with the intention of being authentic and learning about the culture and trying to understand it. It's taking bits from it because 'wow so kewl'. It's less damaging and more just offensive. White americans don't particularly care because they can't make up their mind on what their culture is supposed to be to begin with. Other races do because they either have one and don't want it being used as a Halloween prop or don't have one either and are desperately trying to find one so ground themselves (see: american blacks).

Diffusion is very different. Diffusion is about blending cultures together. Frankly you see a lot of that in the Southwest where a lot of Mexican traditions bleed over into wider American lifestyles and there's a greater respect for the culture it comes from an a GENUINE attempt to integrate the two. That's diffusion, and it can lead to some amazing works of art, music, and cuisine. It's how cultures evolve. Appropriate lacks that because it doesn't want to change or evolve anything it just wants to be hip and that's why people are pissed about it.

It's only made worse by the fact that few people who complain about it have any idea what it is or the different between the two.
>>
>>2915833
what about miscegenation?
>>
>>2916073
>diffusion
this is another American example and completely unreasonable for the rest of the world who do not share a land border with said culture nor have continual contact.
>>
I fucking hate when non white cultures have access to modern medicines and electronics and cars and planes and the easy western lifestyle

It's fucking raping my culture

They should be living pre-colonisation

>it is only cultural appropriation when white people do it

Go fuck yourself shitskins, you were conquered and if I want to wear your shitty head dresses I will, and no shitty virtue signalling and Facebook likes will change that
>>
File: chriscolumbus.jpg (272KB, 802x1056px) Image search: [Google]
chriscolumbus.jpg
272KB, 802x1056px
>>2916602
my nigga
>>
>>2915903
>traditional dress is a stereotype
please stop talking.
>>
>>2915517
>In the context of the United States the culture of poor whites was taken from the ranks of poor blacks whom poor white often associated with Jazz, Zydeco, Rock n Roll, etc
The opposite is true. Blacks got their music (jazz, blues) from Euro-American folk songs.
>>
>>2915517
>False equivalency
How?
>>
>>2915517
>1. Straight hair is not a singular races trait
Niggers still don't have it natrully. It just means niggers are appoprating from multiple races at the same time.

Guess what? Cornrows aren't a signer cultural straight either.
>The conditions that created and create the pressure to straighten hair derives from white social norms and standards placed on black women and men
No such standards are placed. It's made up. Niggers want to be like Whitey because of an inferiority complex. Beyond that, nobody presaures them to do anything.
>>
>>2915426
I'm sure all the populations between Morocco and Iraq just magically started speaking Arabic and willingly started practicing Islam. Oh wait, genetic tests prove that's not what happened.

Kill yourself.

>>2915617
>I guess all of Asia including the Levant and Africa and native americans and all citizens of American and Europe of such genealogy should stop driving cars, wearing our clothes, using electricity, and cease living any lifestyle that benefits from or uses civilization based on European cultural history, science, medicine, or technology.
Exactly. Nonwhites have absolutely no right to bitch about cultural appropriation while using our own inventions.

>>2915903
>"muh racism"
Kill yourself you fucking thin-skinned tumblrite faggot.

>>2916073
>There's a different between diffusion and appropriation.
It seems like the only difference is when white people do it it's "appropriation". SJW assholes literally say "white culture can't be appropriated". That shit sent me into full /pol/ mode and made me realize they're right.

>>2916602
Underrated post.
>>
>>2916602
I fucking hate it when non-Mexicans eat chocolate, turkey, use any corn based products, use vanilla as flavoring, smoke tobacco, use murals as a form of art, implement universal compulsory education into their societal structure.

It's fucking raping my culture

They should be living Pre-Columbian
>>
>>2911238
Yes, it's almost universal.
>and is it a bad thing?
No
>>
>>2916650
Ever notice how these egalitarian assholes are the first to claim there are no differences between whites and shitskins, but when the two peoples do EXACTLY THE SAME THING, it's declared "false equivalence"?
>>
>>2916649
wrong, they got it from the folk songs in afica
>>
>>2911250
Thread should have ended here.
>>
>>2916602
>They should be living pre-colonisation
They would be if it wasn't for white people. Blame your race for that.
>>
>>2916673
I don't get it if you're not going to read when even fucking quote?
>>
>>2911238
>Is it real?
Yes.
>Is it a bad thing?
No...How do you think we got to where we are today? People have been sharing their culture and achievements throughout all of man's history.
>>
>>2911243
fpbp
>>
>>2916872
I'm not blaming shit on the white race. The world is an objectively better place with us than without us. Sorry if you don't agree. Feel free to unironically post about it on the internet with your computer, faggot.
>>
>>2912655
For japanese, swedish culture is something foreign they like having fun with sometimes.
Besides, they do a pretty good and somewhat authentic part with it.
>>
>>2916645
>Comical Halloween costumes = Traditional dress
Really now?
>>2916673
>Kill yourself you fucking thin-skinned tumblrite faggot.
Take your pills.
>>
>>2917096
If we're going to continue taking this to autistic extremes, this entire civilization and culture thing was started by sand niggers in Mesopotamia. Shitskins are the entire reason why you're not living in a mud hut right now eating the scraps left over from wolves.
>>
>>2915206
>Imagine a world in which non-Germanic weren't able to utilize the culture of Germanics.
Imagine the reverse, as well.
>>
Yes
>and is it a bad thing?
No >>2911250
>>
File: 39944.jpg (135KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
39944.jpg
135KB, 960x540px
>>2916602
>>2916639
>>2916673
>>2916682
>>2916872
>ITT: retards who have literally know idea what cultural appropriation is.
>>
>>2917096
Quoted wrong person, sorry. >>2916967
>>
>>2917142

Yeah we get it, only evildumb whites can be guilty of cultural appropriation, niggers and shitskins are living i a state of Grace and are incapable of sin.
>>
>>2917142
>>2916682
Don't lump me in, I was just throwing their retardation back at them.
>>
>>2917152
>only evildumb whites can be guilty of cultural appropriation
Pretty much yeah. When black people become the majority in most western countries and start oppressing white people gimme a call, okay honey? ;)
>>
>>2915154
underrated
>>
>>2917180
So you have to be oppressed to be appropriated?
>>
>>2917191
Blacks kill whites at 5 times the rate of the obverse, yet whites are somehow the "oppressors".
>>
>>2917191
Yes.

>>2917206
Was expecting this retarded response.
>>
>>2917211
Aka "I can't prove you wrong"
>>
>>2917180

What a vile doctrine you hold. I hope your mom is rasped to death by your pet niggers.
>>
>>2917211
Thats stupid, is this one of those leftist "blacks can't be racist, only prejudiced" logic
>>
>>2912143
>>2912158
these
>>
why do americans have to be so obsessed with race
>>
so therefore blacks can't use computers since it was created by white male brains
>>
since when is any group's culture "sacred"?
>>
File: flat1000x1000075f-jpg.jpg (320KB, 1000x734px) Image search: [Google]
flat1000x1000075f-jpg.jpg
320KB, 1000x734px
>>2911238
>>
>>2917238
hmm i wonder why
>>
>>2917215
Mhm. Yeah sure.

>>2917224
Jesus Christ take your pills you nutcase.

>>2917231
Of course blacks can be racist. But when they're racist towards white people (the dominant ethnicity in society) it's not nearly as damaging as when whites are racist towards them.
>>
Technology isn't fucking cultural appropriation. And genuine cultural diffusion isn't appropriation. I'll be the first to admit that it is hard to distinguish the two.
What is annoying is that Americans like to trivialize another culture's customs, rituals, and dress in a manner that is wholly without or with only a shallow appreciation of what they are emulating. No one is stopping you from wearing a slutty Pocahontas dress because that is your right. But you should recognize that wearing their shaman outfit is like someone wearing a Catholic priest outfit.

Furthermore, some cultures are highly ethnocentric and foreigners trying to participate in the culture are fundamentally misunderstanding it.
>>
>>2914378
It makes sense for wines and cheeses, since the terroir(flavours imparted by soil and local climate) and methodology of making it matters a ton in how they taste. A Sauvignon blanc from outside of the Loirre Valley won't have the smokiness of the ones actually grown there, so they get the protected names Sancerre and Pouilly Fume.
Champagne is made from a specific set of grapes, and fermented in a specific way.
>>2915049
Parmigiana Reggiano is protected(knockoffs use the term Parmesan instead), but they keep making the regulations looser to keep up with market demand. The Moden area just got the OK for their own specific DOC of Parm which will be much stricter.
>>
>>2917338
Saddam's regime? Aparthied south Africa?
>>
>>2917574
What?
>>
you have no right to tell people what thing they can like

certainly not when they are as benign as dressing up as peoples that no longer exist
>>
>>2917744
>Oppression = Literally killing people

Did you graduate high school?
>>
>>2917120
What do you think id miss?
>>
>>2917644
So people should be able to wear black face and start talking like a nigger then?
>>
>>2917929
yeah
>>
File: rasp.jpg (63KB, 800x384px) Image search: [Google]
rasp.jpg
63KB, 800x384px
>>2917224
>rasped to death
Jesus Christ anon, what the fuck!
>>
>>2911250
You can make yours elements of a culture tho, dissociated from the culture that created them
>>
>>2915916
I bet you believe that the CIA invented crack and AIDS too because they just hate black people that much.
>>
File: Exhibits_RockHall_NWA.jpg (368KB, 1000x1295px) Image search: [Google]
Exhibits_RockHall_NWA.jpg
368KB, 1000x1295px
>>2918039
...what are you even talking about? It's a fact that a butthurt bureaucrat sent NWA a letter.
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-10-05/entertainment/ca-1046_1_law-enforcement/2
And that the song was met with censorship.
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/30years/stories/s1286179.htm
As for anything else I said, what's wrong with that?
>>
>>2918076
>"could you please stop making music that promotes violence and killing cops?"
>lol butthurt
>>
>>2918095
You can make whatever judgments about which values it could possibly promote, but it's their absolute right to speak out as they see fit. If you disagree with that, maybe 4chan isn't the website for you.
>>
>>2917934
Alright but if someone fucks you up or you get socially ostracized for it, it's on you. You don't get the right to tell people not to get offended at some asinine or insensitive thing you do. That's the price of your right to act like a jackass or have no regard whatsoever for someone else's sensibilities.
>inb4 waaaaah violent niggers shouldn't beat people up for wearing blackface waaaaah
>>
>is it real

No. Cultural units (literal memes, in this case) are not owned by the collective ethnicity that they are associated with. To give into the very concept of cultural appropriation is to give into collectivist thought. Suddenly, MY race owns ALLL of the cultural output that it has EVER produced thought ALLLLLLLLLLL of its history. You can't use any of it. it's OURS.

Ultimately, the only real path from this line of thought is to give into varying strains of /pol/ or /leftypol/.

I am a homo sapiens: if I choose to use the products or ideas of another homo sapiens, even another divergent group of homo sapiens, that makes me nothing but an observant primate. You can cry about it, you can get offended for another person's sake, but you can't stop me from being an ape that pays heed to its surroundings.
>>
>>2918095
It's quite a different thing from "expressing opinion" to announce that from an official federal government position, letterhead and all, directly to the producer. If the AD had done it as a part of a press conference, addressing the general public, or simply stated it as an opinion in an interview or such, that'd be one thing. Directly contacting the producer in an official capacity is quite something else. It's what is known as "law enforcement coercion", and it's supposed to be illegal.

Not that the NWA weren't exactly what their name implies.

>I bet you believe that the CIA invented crack
You should also look into Michael Ruppert.
>>
>>2918119
>it's their right to speak out as they see fit
>it's wrong for a government official to express his opinion though
Fuck off.
>>
>>2918169
There is no difference.
Sending a letter under official letterhead stating a government entity's concerns is not fucking coercion you thin-skinned subversive faggot.
>>
>>2918169
>and it's supposed to be illegal

What law was violated? Cite the statute.
>>
>>2918135
yes, they shouldn't, since beating someone up is called assault, and is a criminal offence.
>>
>>2915949
>racist halloween costumes
literally no such thing
Racism = privilege + power
Clothing possesses neither privilege nor power by default, because it's fucking clothing, therefore it cannot be racist.
>>
>>2918190
I think you missed, or just deliberately ignored the entire part where the song was being censored by radio stations. It's alright though, I know that facts really rustle you.
>>
>>2918208
>Waaaaaaah the nigger beat me up because I called him a nigger waaaaaaah

>>2918217
>Inanimate objects don't have agency hurr durr I'm so brilliant
>>
>>2918219
privately owned radio stations are free to censor whatever they like.
>>
>>2918219
>waaaah whitey won't play my song about murdering people on the radio
Where is your concern for Johnny Rebel's music being censored by radio stations?
>>
>>2918224
jesus, you're pretty darn butthurt.
http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/assault-and-battery-overview.html
>>
>>2918224
>Inanimate objects don't have agency hurr durr I'm so brilliant
I'm confused, are you claiming they do?
>>
>>2917744
Jesus Christ, why do we tolerate niggers? Is it just boomer autism?
>>
>>2918226
Well I don't much about how broadcasting works, but it wasn't being played anywhere else prior to that.

>>2918233
I don't even know who the fuck that is, and you don't know anything about what I've advocated prior to this. Christ, you're so fanatical.
>>
>>2918237
Talk shit, get hit
What's there not to understand? Do you flip off your neighbor every morning just because it's legal to?

>>2918245
Your argument is basically that the medium of racism is not inherently racist itself and that therefore, people using that medium cannot use it to express or commit racially insensitive thought or action.
>>
>>2918333
>Talk shit, get hit
Something Trayvon didn't seem to understand.
>>
>>2918333
>Do you flip off your neighbor every morning just because it's legal to?
if i disliked him, i would, yes.
>>
>>2918341
The point is that the law is less effective than social strictures and convention. The government tried to legislate out racism. Look where it got them.
>>
File: 08-mardi-gras-indians[1].jpg (2MB, 3000x2388px) Image search: [Google]
08-mardi-gras-indians[1].jpg
2MB, 3000x2388px
Southerner here.

Next time some asshat says something to you about cultural appropriation, ask them about the Mardi Gras Indians. Pic related. It's black people in red face. If white people did this they'd be roasted.
>>
>>2918354
Louisiana is Louisiana. Even the white people down there are fucking odd and mixed breed.
>>
>>2918351
>The point is that the law is less effective than social strictures and convention
the point is that the law will still haul your black ass in if you go around punching people for wearing blackface.
>>
>>2918366
It is difficult to have a conversation with someone who can only point to a page in a book and keeps repeating "But this rule right here says you can't do that!"
Do you know how many assault cases get solved? Do you know how little a cop would really give a fuck if you go out of your way to get yourself an ass beating? You're not in some viral video of an old guy getting cold clocked in the streets for no reason. You're an asshole aggravating people with extremely offensive behavior that is NOT a social norm.
>>
>>2918278
>I don't even know who the fuck that is
lol your loss
>>
>>2918333
Actually my argument is that racism is a meaningless and silly concept whose only purpose is to be used as a bludgeon by subversive Marxists in pursuit of their goal of undermining Western civilization.
>>
>>2918388
>offending people isn't a social norm
>assaulting people is
lol niggers
>>
>>2918388
thankfully people can defend themselves in other ways.
how else does the westboro baptist church still exist, if not to rake in lawsuit bux from retards dumb enough to punch them on camera?
>>
>>2918407
>>2918413

Now I know who I am dealing with. Get the fuck off this board and go back to /pol/. For white folk, you sure are a bunch of fucking brainlets.
>>
>>2911790

>That resting indignation face

-_-
>>
>>2918423
assaulting people is not a societal norm in any place that isn't atlanta or detroit, my dear anon.
>>
>>2918404
Huh, I looked him up. Well, if bumpkins really want everyone to know exactly what they're about then I'm all for it. Could lead to some interesting things. :^)
As for censorship, didn't find anything notable in the way of that. What were you specifically referring to?
>>
>>2918467
>As for censorship, didn't find anything notable in the way of that. What were you specifically referring to?
>didn't find anything notable in the way of that
Do you genuinely believe that the music created by this individual will ever receive or has ever recieved mainstream top 40 radio play?

>i-it's offensive!
>i-t's the right of the radio station to decline not to play controversial music like that which may inspire violence!
:^)
>>
>>2911238

No. Culture is ever changing and fluid over time. Culture is often built from the traditions and hardships resulting from a people's environment, and " ownership" of such a thing is tentative at best.
>>
>>2916682
You were conquered Paco, it's different
>>
>>2911297

With that example in mind, understand there an enormous difference between a jacket and patches versus stolen valor. One looks similar to a culture they may not be directly a part of, the other is disingenuously imitating an entire lifestyle they've never lived. This example also has the caveat that military service is a very specific condition of this culture. Many African Americans imitate African culture from things they see because they like it, but have never set foot on the continent. Would they be the same as someone who wore a military jacket and patches because they like what it represents and their great grandfather served, but not themselves?
>>
>>2911295
>so niggers shouldn't cry when dumb potheads get dreads.
Did a lot cry about it or did """"a lot""""" cry about it?
>>
>>2918499
It depends, he started recording his music in the mid to late sixties. Such sentiments wouldn't be as out of place.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Rebel_(singer)
Nothing in here really points to anything other than that he's been well received within the white supremacist community. Unless you can cite some specific instances, there isn't much to conclude from.
>>
>>2911238
Is that macklemore?
>>
File: yellow.png (270KB, 776x636px) Image search: [Google]
yellow.png
270KB, 776x636px
>>2911790
indeed they do
>>
>>2918388
Please point to the precedent where a judge said it was ok to assault someone for wearing blackface.
>>
>>2918351
>government tried to legislate out racism
nigger what
>>
>>2918624
>>2918651
Please don't humor the retard.
>>
>>2918656
why not
i like arguing, even if its with retarded people
>>
>>2918565
>well recieved artist whose music apparently expressed sentiments which wouldn't be out of place when he started recording music
>still doesn't recieve top 40 radio play somehow
>there isn't much to conclude from this
LOL
>>
>>2918675
There really isn't. If that was a large component in any lack of commercial success it would most likely mention it, instead it goes on to list his popularity amongst specific groups of people and individuals. A lack of evidence of this or that doesn't prove your argument correct, at least not in this instance. And yes, the civil rights movement in America was still hot at that time period time.
>>
>>2918758
So you're seriously claiming that broadcast decency standards from the time period in question had no effect on the radio exposure of this particular novelty artist?
>>
>>2912453
why are you attempting to give Bantus credit for a technology that is 500,000 - 2,000,000 years old?
>>
>>2919067
>>2913818
>>
>>2919163
>>2913818
Electricity as a technology is recent as fuck, retard.
>>
>>2918366
They will get hauled in, but might get let off if that state/municipality has a fighting words law on the books.
>>
what the fuck. cultural appropriation has been going on since the first time a group did things a certain and had to interact with another group that did the same a discernibly different way (whether its food, clothing, religion, language). the only reason its been viewed as negative is because a bunch of worthless fucking niggers are pissed other people are enjoying the benefits of the few things they actually managed to create thats kind of sort worth anything
>>
>>2911238
I used to think it wasnt a big deal until I found americans had turned saunas into places where fags have anonymous sex. Fuck you americans saunas are sacred places.
>>
File: hol up.png (555KB, 594x396px) Image search: [Google]
hol up.png
555KB, 594x396px
HOL UP

Seriously, if this mentality spreads here I will pray every day for the slaughter of the American nu-male species.
>>
>>2911238
Yes. The term actually exists.

Is it of scholarly use and validity?

Not in comparison to alternative approaches

>Is it a bad thing?
>>>/pol/
>>
>>2911238

imo cultural appropriation is just the dumb Halloween costumes, and the Redskin football team

Stuff like sharing culture and blending culture isn't too bad seeing as we're one species

Hairstyles I don't think matter at all, I mean fuck's sake, it's hair lol. As long as you can take care of it it's fine whatever you do with it.
>>
>>2918797
No? Because there was still a vocal group of segregationists that was common in society. Here, I found something else of interest:
In 1966, businessman Jay "J.D." Miller created a niche record label for his company, the defiantly segregationist Reb Rebel Records. It was arguably the most notable of the racist country music record labels.[1][9][13] Reb Rebel released 21 singles and For Segregationists Only, an album of its ten bestselling songs, four of which were Johnny Rebel's.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_power_music

Sorry, Cletus. You weren't a victim.
>>
>>2915903
>When white people don't invest in culture in their civ6 game
Give me one clothe style that people would automatically take away that your cosplaying something from white culture.
Thread posts: 280
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.