[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did ancient Roman culture influenced todays western civilization?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

How did ancient Roman culture influenced todays western civilization?
>>
>>2909122
How didn't?
>>
>>2909122
for starters, you posted this writing in the Latin script.
>>
>>2909220
Wrong. They didn't have lower case letters.
>>
>>2909238
>being this dense

You know what anon meant. Anyway minuscule writing developed during the roman empire.
>>
Oh jeez
>>
along with the Greeks they gave us the idea of a res polita, not just a r republican (not necessarilu democratic) form of government with a Senate, etc. but the whole concept of the state as an independent source of sovereignty, separate and apart from monarch or despot who might happen to hold the throne. E.g. the army was formalized and organized because it owed loyalty not as armed retainers of a king or even to a dynasty but to Rome itself. Roma WAS, regardless of who ruled it.

A lot of this comes from Greek city-states as well but the Romans adopted it to the massive imperial scale, with organization, communications and infrastructure that could serve as models for later states. Other great world empires (Persian, Chinese) were of course similar in that regard but largely didn't philosophically have the state as an independent entity in white the same way.
>>
>>2909975
I should note that formal external sovereignty and loyalty is of course extremely theoretical. In practice there was nothing as Roman as civil wars and plots between competing generals/politicians/nobles/Imperators and their loyal troops, but my point was that the concept at least theoretically existed.
>>
>>2909122
dunno, in many ways.
Laws, alphabet, many words in many languages, especially technical terms, classical architecture (see for example most of official buildings in every country)

It would be funnier to guess in what way Romans did not influence today civilizations
> food
> clothes
>>
>>2909122
Large parts of the worlds legal traditions and customs is Roman based. Christianity, the Roman state religion is still popular today and one of the main franchises is still based in Rome.
>>
>>2912288
seriously, roman cuisine is absolutely different from ours. See the apicius' recipes. Everything had to have a strong taste.

"Another lentil recipe. Boil them. When they have foamed, add leeks and green coriander. [Crush] coriander seed, pennyroyal, laser root, mint seed and rue seed. Moisten with vinegar, add honey, garum, vinegar, mix in a little defrutum, add oil and stir. Add extra as required. Bind with amulum, drizzle with green oil and sprinkle with pepper. Serve. (Apicius, 192)"
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.