[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any way to describe what would be like to be in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Is there any way to describe what would be like to be in the frontlines of a battle with swords and shields? Can you imagine how insane that shit must have been? Charging a thousand man waiting to kill you.
Our ancestors had gigantic balls, they faced their enemies literally face to face. I can't being to fathom how would be like to be in the receiving end of a cavalry charge, to run with my friends to certain gruesome death, or to be the first mother fucker to climb a ladder in a siege.
Those people went throught some truly unique experiences nobody will ever experience again in our day and age.
>>
>>2907341
I'll empty my gigantic balls into your boipucci
>>
>>2907341
They didn't need such balls. w=When was the last time you heard of a knight getting shell shock or a halberdier with PTSD? Back then you had control over when you got killed, it didn't come out of the blue with an artillery shell out of the sky.

Also they usually didn't use sword and shield. In medieval europe they all were using spear and shield or pike or halberd. In China it was mostly pike and halberd. Very few people wanted to get up close and personal and instead faced their enemies with somewhat of a distance.

Also the average person wasn't in front line or even fighting all the time. You would probably be jabbing the enemy with a halberd for like 3 min and then you get tired before your buddy behind you grabs you and pulls you back before taking your place.
>>
>>2907341

it's like being a riot cop with more blood
>>
>>2908402
The killing was a lot more personal so I'd think it was more traumatic.
>>
>>2908402
Would we know if a knight got PTSD?
>>
>>2908402
Knights definitely experienced ptsd. It would just probably manifest in different ways because of the combat differences.
>>
>>2908424
This is why I love watching riots. Shame we don't have them like we used to.
>>
Lots of talk of knights and ptsd, anyone have any good book recommendations on the topic?
>>
>>2907341
imagine the smell of flesh, blood, feces
>>
>>2908441
But it also only happened for like 1 battle in the whole war, a couple at the most, so people weren't under the constant stress that breeds PTSD
>>
>>2908451
>>2908441
>>2908402

PTSD is not about the intensity of the trauma itself but the continued inability of the person to recover from it.

Soldiers in modern wars engage in longer campaigns, fight for several days or even weeks and spend virtually all their time during deployment in mortal danger.

sure you saw more mutilation and death upfront in ancient warfare, but you didn't get shelled, bombed, sniped or gased back in your camp, or in a miserable trench, or while marching and patrolling 24/7, you didn't have to permanently scan the horizon and be ready to duck and cover. There was more compartimentalization to danger and suffering. In modern war there is no relaxation, there's no clear victory for the soldier or end to the battle, it's non-stop warfare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glcg95L4JK4
>>
>>2908811
but as a knight in camp you would constantly have to worry about getting killed by some abhorrent disease
>>
>>2908825
I feel like I'd personally be more afraid of sniper fire than disease
>>
>>2908835
but what if disease is the major cause of death and you have no knowledge on how it really spreads and how to safeguard yourself from it?
>>
>>2908825
>>2908900

interesting thing, the black death seems to have resulted in a lot more recorded PTSD than war-fare.
>>
>>2908969
any way to read more about that? it seems really interesting and understandable
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.