[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: marcus-aurelius.jpg (58KB, 1276x578px) Image search: [Google]
marcus-aurelius.jpg
58KB, 1276x578px
"Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking"

Nigga, you were an emperor born into very good circumstances, educated by someone of the finest of your time, filthy rich through out life. The fuck you know about an unhappy live?

This is the underline problem with stoicism and the like, the people who preach it usually are well off to begin with, Aurelius' (obviously aimed at himself) is only applicable to upper class well off people who might get sad sometimes about stupid shit. You will get no help from his works unless you are well off and otherwise you are fooling yourself. He even talks about how to be patient with slaves.
>>
>>2906851
What the fuck do you know about Marcus Aurelius?
>>
>>2906851
He isn't wrong, but I think for many people they just can't do it. Part of me wants to agree fully with him and my own experience and say that happiness is a learned habit, but I think a lot of people are just naturally more inclined towards that habit than others, and it might not be as learned as it initially seems.
>>
The guard were constantly his life and title, and he was very sick at the end of his life and hurt all the time. Just because he held a powerful office doesn't mean everything was just jolly for him.
>>
>>2906905
he fucking gave commodus emperor. He was hardly a fucking unsentimental stoic. He talked shit and had good intentions but stoicism ignores fundamental feelings humans have for survival and healing which can not be override from sheer will
>>
>>2906851
>the people who preach it usually are well off to begin with
Like epictetus, right?
>>
>>2906892
>He isn't wrong, but I think for many people they just can't do it.
Then he's wrong. Those who say things like wealth can't bring you happiness have rarely ever had to deal with the stress of being a poorfag.
>>
>>2906999
I don't mean can't do as in they have stress or something that prevents them, I mean can't do it in that they are not mentally wired for happiness. If you are inclined towards happiness in your nature it won't really matter what stress you have.
>>
>>2906851
>sometimes about stupid shit
Ruling an empire isn't stupid shit, neither dealing with wars and a plague
>>
>>2906991
Hey, don't post that. That goes against OP's narrative.
>>
File: shithawkdown.png (923KB, 535x711px) Image search: [Google]
shithawkdown.png
923KB, 535x711px
>>2906851
it's lonely at the top. being rich and educated doesn't make you immune to mental health issues. money and power have been proven to have no bearing on how happy a person is.
>>
>>2906851
The most important Roman Stoic was Epictetus, who was born a slave, did you actually research or read something about stoicism beyond le meditations meme xdXD before making this thread?
>>
>>2906851
What a hypocrite he was.

He notoriously had luxurious feasts worth today millions of dollars, he lived in opulence as the richest man in the world, and he wants to preach austerity?

What a lying sack of shit.
>>
Daily reminder Aristotle preemptively BTFO the Stoic school of thought.
>>
>>2909159
>Epictetus
he was greek you sack of salt
>>
>>2909783
He gave rise to the Roman variety of stoicism, which is what the poster meant.
>>
>>2906851
>Marcus Aurelius' life was easy
>good leadership of the Roman Empire was easy
>smallpox is easy
>barbarian invasions are easy
>shit-kicking the Parthians is easy
>losing 11 of your children is easy

Lmao
>>
>>2909783
Thank god for pedants
>>
>>2906851
He's right though. Fundamentally the achievement of happiness is within the mindset. If you do not shape up your mind, you will forever be a slave to material/external forces.

A rich and educated person can make claims about how to live a happy life without material goods. A poor and uneducated cannot say the same about how to be happy as rich/educated.

The false equivalence doesn't work because one side works on working sets of principles and the other side is without such.

You don't equally weight your accumulation of knowledge on a liar and an honest person.
>>
Whether you subscribe to the philosophy or not, there are things to be learned from stoicism. Namely, that it is easier to control yourself than it is the outside world.
>>
>>2910054
This. Excepting the things you cannot change and changing the things you can are at the basics of living a more fulfilled life. Often our reaction to a problem is more important than the problem itself.
>>
>>2906851
Op do you know that many Stoics were not wealth or that this man out lived 11 of his children? Did you do any back ground reading other then Wikipedia and finding this quote?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.