[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nestorianism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

What would have happened if Nestorianism didn't die out in China? What would the world look like if the Mongols had adopted Nestorianism?
>>
A unified religion of the Mongol empire establishing communication networks linking China to renaissance Europe? We would all be Nestorian by now.
>>
>>2905946
Then this country and SK would return to their status as Rightful Nestorian Clay.

After it declined in China, then came the Portuguese and others. The Roman Catholicism split affects Church of the East and Church of the East-based churches at this very moment. So they would've had to deal with that. Shortly before it declined in China, I recently read, they were trying to reconcile with Roman Catholics, who the Ilkhanate's leaders were also trying to ally with, supposedly. The later Chaldean (Catholic) split was probably influenced by this presence of RC missionaries/friars. A slight majority of Assyrian Nestorians - the remnant after the Portuguese forced the Indians to be RC and Tamerlane persecuted and possibly exterminated them in eastern Persia / Central Asia - have become Catholics ('Chaldeans') in the last three centuries and the division is quite relevant.

So I think they would've had to do sonething about Roman Catholicism and its expansionism. The Catholics ended up destroying some of the traditions of the Church in India, and even murdered some priests.

Maybe it could've been Nestorian missionaries sent to the Roman Catholics and all of this happening in reverse instead. But there are all those established religions in Asia while RCs just had to deal with 'pagans' and were the majority hundreds of miles away from Rome. Now they have their own city state whereas I. S. is murdering Church of the East monks at this moment.

So clearly it's the CoE and its descendants (which I'm actually part of) who play on hard mode, while the West is on easy mode. They should be rewarded.
>>
Ah the Christianity of T*rks
>>
>>2905946
Bump
>>
>>2905946
it survived well into the Ming, if not later. There are a couple of very thorough books on the subject - but I haven't read them/.
>>
>>2907362
This is >>2906008

I intend to read at least one very soon. But please give a source for that statement if you have one. I've heard both that and the opposite.
>>
>>2907511
sorry, was thinking of Manichaeism.

>muh heresy
>>
>>2907521
>muh heresy

They were at least as big overall as Roman Catholicism in the Middle Ages. But more importantly, as far as calling it heresy goes, they were by no means a very strange Church; they've been one of the most Apostolic ones.
>>
>>2907551
point taken, simple conflation for the purposes of explaining my mishap.

but the Manichaean church in China is also a fascinating read!
>>
>>2905946
>tfw Nestorianism tried so hard and got so far but in the end it didn't even matter
>>
File: Timur the La,e.jpg (14KB, 150x209px) Image search: [Google]
Timur the La,e.jpg
14KB, 150x209px
But Nestorianism got virtually wiped out by a Mongol-Turk
>>
>>2907599
Taking into account both the population pre- (WWI) Assyrian genocide and the fact that the Chaldean split and the India embargo happened more than a century later, 'virtually' isn't accurate, maybe 'nearly'. He never reached the part of India where they were concentrated, so in theory they could've taken refuge there.
>>
>>2905946
Your map shows that the Naimans were Nestorians. 1 out of 5 Mongol tribes isn't too shabby.
>>
>>2908950
he wiped them out primarilly in the middle east , hence why they are mostly only concentrated in northern Iraq whereas they used to be all over the middle east from Persia to Syria
>>
>>2910694
I know, the point was plenty of things reduced them after him so they still must've been significant compared to now
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.