[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did China keep getting conquered?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 10

File: china under colonialism.jpg (85KB, 386x545px) Image search: [Google]
china under colonialism.jpg
85KB, 386x545px
For a so-called historical "great power" they sure get conquered a lot.
>>
They've only been completely conquered by an outside power twice though
>>
>>2905663
There were several incidents of barbarians conquering the north which is where the center of the civilization was, and setting up their own dynasties there
Also they would definitely have been conquered by Japan if the US hadn't interrupted things elsewhere.
>>
>>2905693
>Also they would definitely have been conquered by Japan if the US hadn't interrupted things elsewhere.

Yeah it was the US who went full retard and launched an attack on Japanes- oh wait
>>
>>2905693
Center of civilization switched multiple times between North and South. And desu, everybody close to nomads got BTFO. And Japan westernized 40 years before China so they had a tech advantage. I don't feel like China got conquered that much coonsidering it's 5000 year old history
>>
>>2905646
>For a so-called historical "great power" they sure get conquered a lot.
The ancient Chinese had no qualms serving non-Han(even then Han is largely anachronistic) rulers.

There was no shortage of defectors,whether they be the landed gentry,bureaucrats or military men.
>>
China is still around, where's Rome?
>>
>>2905796
Everything that is Chinese is slowly being stamped out by the state there. "Chinese" has the same functional meaning as "European."
>>
>>2905693
Spain had plans to conquer China just like new world.
>>
>>2905814
please modern day capitalism destroyed more than the government ever did
>>
>>2905646
Why did Rome keep getting conquered?
>>
>>2905814
"Chinese" has been a much more tangible thing that "Europe" has ever been.
>>
>>2905854
Lol no.
Only to white people
>>
>>2905646
Internal division
>>2905730
"Han" is in no way anachronistic. At least by Tang times there were strong prejudices against Turkic and Mongolic peoples. Uyghurs were to China what the Jews were in Europe: they commonly took money-lending and trading roles, and were treated similarly.
There is a reason the Red Turban Rebellion was so successful.
>>2905875
Can we please stop this shitty "China wasn't a real country" meme that pseuds like to propagate?
>>
>>2905894
>"Han" is in no way anachronistic.
Ironically,Han had to be repeatedly reintroduced by nomadic rules as a ethnonym for their Northern Sinitic speaking subjects.
https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/elliott/files/critical_han_studies_ch8_elliott.pdf

The Xianbei were the first to use this Han as an ethnonym,historically,regional groups identified with fallen polities(Yan,Zhao etc.) or the ruling
dynasty.
http://scholarbank.nus.sg/bitstream/handle/10635/13104/Yang%20Shao-yun%20-%20amended%20MA%20thesis.pdf?sequence=1

Northern emigres preferred to use the term Hua(which was co-opted by the Xianbei) and their Southern Sinitic speaking subjects had a Wu/Chu identity.
http://sino-platonic.org/complete/spp250_jiankang_empire.pdf

Under the Tang,Han reverted back to a geopolitical identity while Southern Chinese weren't included until the Ming.
http://www.academia.edu/4886627/Fan_and_Han_The_Origins_and_Uses_of_a_Conceptual_Dichotomy_in_Mid-Imperial_China_ca._500-1200
>>
>>2905894
Didn't Sun Yat Sen make it a point that China's weakness was its lack of a proper national identity? Hence the need for the "Nationalist Party", the Guomindang.
>>
>>2905845
t. literally retarded commie
>>
>>2905953
Thank you for posting these links. They are interesting, and I was obviously very wrong. I've only made it through the first one now -- I'll try to finish the rest tomorrow.
>>
>>2905646
For a large portion of its history, China didn't put much value in its military. Soldiers were in the second-lowest caste, only above prostitutes and the like. IIRC, I don't think that changes until after the Opium Wars.
>>
If Egyptian civilization still existed today you'd probably bitch about the Hyksos instead of marveling at the miracle of its survival.
>>
>>2905663
Three times if you consider the Qin to be barbarous people and not true Huaxia.
>>
>>2905894
>Can we please stop this shitty "China wasn't a real country" meme that pseuds like to propagate?

This is annoying. Along with other bullshit like the "first Chinese people were white Caucasoids", "Han isn't a real ethnicity", "modern Chinese people are descended from northern invaders and not the ancient Chinese", and "Modern China has no cultural connection to its past at all because of Mao or foreign invaders".
>>
>>2905646

China had all it's power centralized to one single figure, and most of the time that figure was a clueless git.
>>
>>2906186
The people who argue that Han is not an ethnicity are probably the same kind of people who argue that the Byzantine empire was not Roman.
>>
>>2906186
>Modern China has no cultural connection to its past at all because of Mao or foreign invaders
Is it mistaken to argue that modern Chinese identifying with the Xia is like modern Anglo-Saxon British people claiming kinship with the Romano-British King Arthur?
>>
File: The disappointment of Weebs 01.png (582KB, 562x825px) Image search: [Google]
The disappointment of Weebs 01.png
582KB, 562x825px
>>2905646
Because that's what you western supremacists or white supremacists want to believe in order to make make you feel better and sleep better at night. But unfortunately you cannot stop China to regain our power just by shitposting and twisting our history.

There were 13 unified dynasties but only 2 of them were established by nomads. Your so called "a lot" really is not a lot.
>>
>>2905693
>There were several incidents of barbarians conquering the north which is where the center of the civilization was, and setting up their own dynasties there.

And they're all assimilated into Chinese society and become part of China in the end.
>>
>>2906205
If Han is an ethnicity, I kind of have to wonder what an ethnicity is even defined by. The various Han groups have different cultures, live in widely varying regions, have different phenotypes, and speak different languages. I guess you can say the same (to a lesser extent) was true of Italians prior to the 20th century, and people still considered "Italian" an ethnic group, but that just brings me back to my question.
>>
>>2906186
>The "yellow" in Yellow Emperor refers to his blond hair. He was white.
>>
>>2906230
They mean the people who think all true Chinese culture is gone now because Mao or the Manchus destroyed everything. Which is stupid of course.
>>
>>2906288
>have different cultures.
But still share similar customs and traditions.

>live in widely varying regions,
But still in China

>have different phenotypes, and speak different languages.
But still share similar language structures, vocabularies, and most of all, the same writing system. They're not different languages, just different dialects which are still mutually intelligible if you really know how to speak Chinese.
>>
>>2906295
Now you got me wondering - did East Asians ever refer to themselves as "yellow" in history or is that just a European invention?
>>
>>2906305
>which are still mutually intelligible if you really know how to speak Chinese
I grew up in a household listening to both Mandarin and Hokkien, and I call bullshit. Even something as simple as the greeting "have you eaten?" is "ni chi le ma?" versus "lu ciak pa boi?"
>>
>>2906288
FYI, the first people who addressed Han Chinese as "Han Chinese" were nomads, not Han Chinese themselves.
>>
>>2906275
>he thinks the xia dynasty was real
lol
>>
>>2906288
The cultural differences are largely just a result of regionalism or creaolization with ethnic minorities, it's not a huge difference. People living in different places doesn't make them different ethnicities. Greeks are still Greeks despite being diasporic since ancient times. All Chinese languages belong to the Sinitic language family and share a common ancestor. Ethnicity isn't dependent on genotype or phenotype - just look at Arabs, but Han Chinese people do share a coherent genetic structure amongst each other because of multiple mass migrations.
>>
>>2906343
You should tell that to Taiwanese blood nationalists.
>>
>>2906323
Sorry, "ni chi le ma"(你吃了沒?) and "lu ciak pa boi"(你吃飽沒) are just same sentences in different phenotypes(spoken languages). "你吃飽沒"這句話,同樣也能用普通話來說和理解,完全沒問題。

You think it bullshit because you still don't really know basic Chinese phonology and language structures. Even if you hear them your whole life, you're still ignorant as fuck.
>>
>>2906343
>All Chinese languages belong to the Sinitic language family and share a common ancestor

But they're still different languages. Italians and French have some cultural similarities and their languages are part of the same family, and they're also closely linked genetically. How are Han Chinese groups closer to each other than they are?
>>
>>2906352
I mean *similar sentences in different sound.
>>
>>2906346
They're hilarious. They think some Austronesian great grandparent makes them a totally new ethnic group even though many South Chinese had already mixed with Austronesians on the mainland since ancient times.
>>
>>2906362
>How are Han Chinese groups closer to each other than they are?

Because Han Chinese are originated in same country and still live in same country, and use same writing system. Unlike Italian and French.

Han Chinese can communicate with each others no matter in modern Chinese or classical Chinese.

t.not that Anno.
>>
>>2906369
So if the Roman Empire had survived as a political entity to the modern day and introduced a standardized writing system (while most people still spoke different languages), would Italians, Syrians, Egyptians, Spaniards, Greeks, Germans, etc. suddenly cease to be different ethnicities?
>>
>>2906352
>>2906361
Your entire post is showing that you are missing the point. Are you going to seriously argue that they are mutually intelligible "if you really know how to speak Chinese" just because they share common roots and writing even though they sound almost entirely different? You are saying that if a Mandarin speaker and a Hokkien speaker were trying to convey it to each other IN SPEECH it would be mutually intelligible? Are "zhe shi shen me" and "sia mi lai eh" mutually intelligible even though they both mean "what is this"? Is "Ni shen me shi" anything like "Ha mik su ka lu?"
>>
>>2906352
>in different phenotypes(spoken languages).
Yes anon, that's what is making them mutually unintelligible, because all the sounds changed completely. You'd have to stand around miming for a while to get anything across.
>>
>>2905700
The U.S. cur off oil in the middle or a war. Japan went full retard but don't pretend like the U.S. wasn't aiming for exactly that to happen.
>>
File: fall-of-rome_2184860b.jpg (43KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
fall-of-rome_2184860b.jpg
43KB, 620x388px
>>2905646
For a so-called historical "great power" they sure get conquered a lot. Oh wait, Rome empire was already gone, raped, finished, destroied! My bad.
>>
>>2906362
Because you also have to take into account social and national experiences. Jews still see themselves as Jews despite the massive linguistic, regional, cultural, and phenotypical differences.
>>
>>2906352
They're only mutually intelligible in writing. "Really knowing how to speak Chinese“ won't get you very far with the divergence of the spoken forms.

Since you are such a Mandarin expert, listen to this song and tell me how much you understand WITHOUT reading the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mvnew1hRIc
>>
>>2905646
bruh you gotta ask that question for literally every single great ancient civilization: Rome, Greece, Persia, India, or literally another great nation that's been here long enough. Fortunes change, and with enough time everything that can go wrong will.
>>
>>2906376
>>2906382
>>2906382
You see, 漢語 Han Chinese spoken language(regardless dialects) have 2 unique traits called "聲母"(sounds) and "韻母"(tones), I'm not sure if that's correct translation or not, but what I'm trying to say, what you hear is merely the differences of "聲", but basic 韻 is the same, they all can write in the same words and characters. I didn't miss the point, you miss the point. They're not different langauges just different dialects with same base and foundation.
>>
>>2905646
China is still here though and only ended their Imperial era in 1912. They did much better when compared to other ancient civilizations.
>>
>>2906375
Well, yes, if Rome Empire still survives and didn't collapse, they're probably all become Romans in the end. The Greeks in ERE like to address themselves Romans and Rome empire, not Greeks.
>>
>>2906418
No anon, I'm aware that the dialects share common ancestry from Old and Middle Chinese and can be mutually understood in writing. I was objecting to the part where you said you can understand another dialect if you really speak Chinese. You can't, because the "speak" part what is all fucked up. See >>2906409. You can probably understand the written lyrics in the video description, but speaking all the Mandarin in the world will hardly help you understand what he is saying.
>>
>>2906420
Is China the oldest continuous civilization?
>>
>>2906426
>>2906418
More examples of dialect spoken that you're not going to decipher no matter how well you "really speak Chinese". That's why it has subtitles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNdnX1iDVcg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QumZBnCNP8U
>>
>>2906449
Penang Hokkien isn't really a fair dialect to use since it has a bunch of Malay loanwards shoved in.
>>
>>2906426
>I was objecting to the part where you said you can understand another dialect if you really speak Chinese.

But I can, with a bit of learning. I didn't say I or we can directly understand each other without any learning. But it's not the same like learning totally alien languages like English or French.

It's relatively easy to comprehend the similarity of Han dialects between Mandarin compare to English, and once you understand the basic similarity tones, you can actually understand those dialects more easily.

My English is not good enough to provide further explanation, so I'll just stop here.
>>
>>2906449
Here is a better website for examples. And to be honest, they're really not so hard to understand for a native Chinese speaker like me.

http://phonemica.net/
>>
>>2906452
>I didn't say I or we can directly understand each other without any learning.
You said they
>are still mutually intelligible if you really know how to speak Chinese.
That's not true if you need to do extra learning, even if your native dialect helps things along. Standard English and Scots are mutually intelligible. French and Italian are partially intelligible. German and Dutch are only asymmetrically partially intelligible. Shanghainese and Mandarin are mutually unintelligible.
>>
>>2906452
I am not sure you are grasping what mutual intelligible means desu, typically mutually intelligible means two people of different languages can come together with no special effort (i.e. no extra learning) and understand each other. If you have to sit down with the common script and listen to both and puzzle it out then that isn't spoken mutual intelligibility, just written mutual intelligibility. You should have said "if you can really read Chinese", not "if you really speak Chinese".
>>
>>2906456
>But I can, with a bit of learning. I didn't say I or we can directly understand each other without any learning.
No anon when you say they are mutually intelligible if you really speak Chinese that means that speaking Chinese is enough for intelligibility. Like how Spaniard and Italians You're moving the goalposts if you're now saying that "oh but actually you do need to do more study first". 不要讲废话. Even the Romance languages are not all mutually intelligible when spoken and in many cases need extra learning for anything beyond about sub-50% comprehension, no matter how well you really speak one of them.
>>
>>2905646
When were they conquered after the 17th century?

In 4000 years, it happened twice.
>>
>>2905814
Source?

The government has been LARPing and pushing Chinese culture/history hard for the last decade.
>>
>>2906288
Ethnicity is culture + same language family + genetics and/or religion.
>>
>>2906362
Genetics?
Not being separate since Roman times?
Not being conquered by Germans/Arabs?
>>
>>2906452
alot of the time, written chinese actually hides different words because no one really knows how to write.
Going back to this, Mandarin's <chi bao le ma> is supposed to be written 吃饱了吗 while Hokkien's <Chhiat bah buey> is supposed to be 食饱未?

You think that written chinese is the same, but it's like French and Italian speakers only writing in Latin to communicate.
>>
>>2906386
>reeeeee you have to keep giving us war material even if you just told us if we invade China you'll do exactly that!
>>
>>2906526
>LARPing
Practising your own culture is LARPing now?
>>
>>2906535
>Not being conquered by Germans
But parts of the country were repeatedly conquered conquered by Mongols, Jurchens, Khitans, Manchus, Japanese...

>>2906538
And "sián-mi̍h lâi ê" mentioned by >>2906376 is actually 啥物來的 not 这是什么. In Singapore and Malaysia even Mandarin speakers often say 什么来的 thanks to Hokkien influence.
>>
>>2906538
>because no one really knows how to write.
Rather outside of Mandarin and Cantonese there often isn't even a unified standard for how various dialects are meant to be written. Everyone agrees on Classical Chinese and that's about it.
>>
>>2906542
All tradition, religion and culture is just live action roleplay
>>
>>2906572
and it's fun
>>
>>2906572
Uh okay
>>
>>2906572
What?
>>
>>2905693
Japan wasn't making any headway in 1941 after 4 years of war, and the war was becoming extremely unpopular at home. Meanwhile China had all the time on its hands and continued foreign aid. There was pretty much zero chance for Japan to win the 2nd Sino-Japanese War.
>>
>>2906572
I want /tg/ to leave.
>>
>>2906542
All culture in the modern era is LARPing.
>>
>>2906549
Parts.

Central China and Southern China were conquered once, and there is very little genetic admixture from the "conquerors".

In many ways, the Han conquerors left more admixture than anyone else. That's why North and South Han have similar paternal genetic structure.
>>
>>2906685
In the ancient era too.
>>
>>2906714
Never forget the times Korea and Japan thought of themselves as the "real" China.
>>
>>2906717
>mongol barbarians conquered China?
>WE WUZ TANGZ
>>
>>2906275
not him but
There were loads of times when China wasn't unified that there were very powerful kingdoms/dynasties established by those not considered Han Chinese. Examples include the 12th century Jin who controlled the northern half of China, and the 'later Tang' that controlled the north as well for a short itme during the 10th century. There were numerous incidents where the same Turkic tribe ruled parts of China.
>Anyone who doesn't romanticize china is a white supremacist
>>
>>2906717
>In the Tokugawa era, the study of Kokugaku (国学) arose as an attempt to reconstruct and recover the authentic native roots of Japanese culture, particularly Shintoism, excluding later elements borrowed from China. In 1657, Tokugawa Mitsukuni established the Mito School, which was charged with writing a history of Japan as a perfect exemplar of a "nation" under Confucian thought, with the emphasis on unified rule by the emperors and respect for the imperial court and Shinto deities.

>In an ironic affirmation of the spirit of Sinocentrism, claims were even heard that the Japanese, not the Chinese, were the legitimate heirs of Chinese culture. In the early Edo period, neo-Confucianist Yamaga Soko asserted that Japan was superior to China in Confucian terms and more deserving of the name "Chūgoku". Other scholars picked this up, notably Aizawa Seishisai, an adherent of the Mito School, in his political tract Shinron (新論 New Theses) in 1825.

What the fuck you're right
>>
>>2905796
>where's Rome?
In a twisted sort of way, the European Union is the new Rome.
>>
>>2906787
The U.S. is the new Rome.
>>
>>2906800
EMPEROR DONALDUS TRIUMPHUS
>>
>>2905700
The US was going to attack them. It was absolutely inevitable.
>>
>>2905646
Da Mandate of Heaven was givena to da conqueror therefore he not a conqueror he is a great emperor
>>
>>2905700
The Japanese needed the oil in the Dutch East Indies after the US stopped selling oil to them. To get oil from the Dutch East Indies back to Japan they would have to past the Philippines. The Philippines were a US protectorate. If they were to make a move to secure the Philippines, that would provoke a war with the USA. So they had no choice.
>>
>>2906307
The yellow in the Yellow Emperor's name is derived from him ruling the Yellow River of China which is known as the birthplace of Chinese Civilization
>>
>>2905796
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rome,+Italy/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x132f6196f9928ebb:0xb90f770693656e38?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjk9Y_JnqTUAhWCpZQKHS4rD7IQ8gEILzAA
>>
>>2905831
That was just one autist, and he couldn't even defeat Japanese pirates
>>
>>2906961
Yeah but the questions asks whether East Asians actually referred to themselves as "yellow" or was it just a relatively modern European thing
>>
>>2906970
Could be a European thing or is just my race Wewuzing about the Xia dynasty I guess
>>
>>2905646
>Why did China keep getting conquered.

...twice? Only the Manchus and the Mongs ever succeeded.

Everyone else either just conquered the north, invaded the north and were subsequently thrown back, or plain-ass repelled.

And I'm afraid the Nanbeichao doesn't cut it because the Nomadic invaders can't even get their shit sorted out among them, leading to a fucked up situation in which nomad dynasties fought Han native dynasties, nomads fought other nomads, and Han fought Han.
>>
Daily reminder the Manchus weren't "outsiders" as they were a Chink province of Non-Han people who revolted, and then when the Ming fell, thought they had a nice shot at the Imperial Throne and took it.
>>
>>2907047
>Everyone else either just conquered the north
Well the north was the core of China. The Yellow River valley was where the civilization emanated from, and the late Zhou period's "central states" described by the term "zhongguo" were all in the north.

I mean you could say it was okay for the Romans to lose Italy to the Goths because the Byzantine Empire was fine, but but you still have grounds for stating that Rome was conquered.
>>
>>2907059
If the Irish had conquered England I think they would be considered outsiders.
>>
>>2905663

Those Mongols and Manchus are sure lonely, what about the Jurchen, Tibetans, Tanguts and other assorted tribes?

Also, you can throw in the Western Powers (Boxer Rebellion), Christianity (Taiping Rebellion), Marxism (CCCP), GB (Opium Wars) etc etc while you're at it.

The "victim of a foreign power" list just grows longer.
>>
>>2905894
this is unironically ironic given the ancestry of the Tang imperial house itself...
>>
>>2906307
no, they referred to themselves as the Black-Haired Ones (or the sons of the Black-Heads) or some variation thereof.
>>
>>2906302
Manchus? you've got to be kidding us, mate.

go and read a book would you?
>>
>>2907321
Just do Google searches of those names you list and see for yourself instead of wasting everyone's time.
>>
>>2907336
yes, John Chinaman, those peripheral areas which may once have been forced to pledge fealty to a Chinese, Manchu or Mongol emperor at some brief point in time always have been and always will be part of your eternally great motherland.

Now fuck off with your time-wasting and micro-penis han nationalism.
>>
File: 1496516598083.gif (779KB, 325x203px) Image search: [Google]
1496516598083.gif
779KB, 325x203px
>>2907351
What did I say that was so offensive to deserve this aggressive response? Take a deep breath my man
>>
>>2907278
More like if the Goths had conquered Rome, which they did.
>>
>>2907087
Rome the city and The Roman Empire are two separate things you dumbfuck.

Also, the "core" of China has moved around 12 times. Nanjing for example was only comquered three times in its 4000 year history.
>>
>>2907321
None of those after the Manchu and Mongols ever conquered China.

By your logic, the British conquered the USA in 1812.
>>
>>2907351
Kill yourself you fucking autist.
>>>/pol/
>>
>>2905831
Spain conquering China is laughable. What many people don't realize is that the Ming Dynasty (The one they had plans about) was very powerful and fully equipped to defeat European powers at that time.

Despite their lack of tech, they were even able to defeat the portuguese and dutch at sea. Even in their dying breath while the Qing were at their heels they stuck out and took Formosa from the dutch setting up a exile state.

If the Spanish was to try to invade China when the Ming Dynasty was around. They would be victorious at sea but would be utterly crushed on land by superior numbers of (then) disciplined and competent militias and government troops.

Compared to the Qing Dynasty the Ming dynasty was much more progressive when it came to tech without the the manchurian horse archery traditions. It eagerly copied the Europeans in many regards; and example is their centipede ships which are copies of galleys.
>>
>>2906288
>If Han is an ethnicity, I kind of have to wonder what an ethnicity is even defined by.
Self identification. If it wasn't for ROC/PRC delineating ethnicities,the Zhuang and She would be viewed as Han.

Pre-modern "Han" would identify with their villages,lineages,local regions or the ruling/fallen dynasty.

>>2906295
>The "yellow" in Yellow Emperor refers to his blond hair. He was white.
Yellow was representative of the center. The red/blue/white/black emperors was associated with the south/east/west/north respectively.

>>2906696
>In many ways, the Han conquerors left more admixture than anyone else. That's why North and South Han have similar paternal genetic structure.
We don't have any autosomal DNA to prove or disprove this notion.

Even if you use male uniparentals,many of those markers were already widespread during the Paleolithic/Neolithic.

>>2907324
>this is unironically ironic given the ancestry of the Tang imperial house itself...
Chinese follow patrimonial descent,the Tang Imperial family didn't identify with their Xianbei ancestors(who were heavily mixed with Han gentry by that point).
>>
>>2905646
>Mongols which conquered everybody
>Manchus who became Chinese
>Owned by Chinese for 5000 years
Don't know where this a lot comes from
>>
Awful lot of Chinks ITT
>>
File: Foochow_Arsenal.jpg (3MB, 3908x1111px) Image search: [Google]
Foochow_Arsenal.jpg
3MB, 3908x1111px
>>2905711
>And Japan westernized 40 years before China so they had a tech advantage.
China and Japan both had access to western technology around the same time. But Japan had a strong central government. China had a weak central government that suffered from internal rebellions as well as periodic foreign wars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foochow_Arsenal
>1866 invite French naval officers to build China's first western shipbuilding center
>1867 groundbreaking
>1869 first ship launch
>1884 Battle of Fuzhou, entire fleet sunk and naval arsenal burned to the ground by the French during the Sino-French War
>arsenal rebuilt from scratch
>>
>>2906572
All of history is just one giant global LARPing session
>>
File: Cambodian-Spanish War.png (27KB, 307x358px) Image search: [Google]
Cambodian-Spanish War.png
27KB, 307x358px
>>2905831
>Spain had plans to conquer China just like new world.

Yeah, plans dreamt of by the late 16th century colonial governor here in the Philippines, Luis Perez Dasmarinas.

The man who had trouble with Moro and Wokou pirates, lost to the KHMERS of all people, and lost his life in a revolt by the Filipino Chinese, which the Spics agitated.
>>
>>2909315

Japan didn't have a strong central government when the West came a-knocking. The central authority was weak, which is why the Boshin war happened and a new, stronger, central government was put in place to allow for rapid industrialization and reform of the military.

In an ironic sort of way, Japan being a less valuable market for the Europeans saved it from being repeatedly raped in the ass like the Qing. But they also didn't willingly bend themselves over a barrel like the Qing did by not implementing serious reforms.
>>
>>2908731
yes. too goddamn many.

just like IRL.
>>
>>2908224
there's conquer and conquer.

the Japanese took over most of the country but that doesn't count in your butthurt han mind/

National pride above all.
>>2908227
恁娘的豬逼
>>
>>2910091
Spain what the fuck.
>>
>>2910381
Fuck you MacArthur, why didn't you push the goddamn button.
>>
>Commies never conquered China, they only occupy the mainland and the center of civilization switched to Taiwan!

This is literally what you Chinaboos sound like.
>>
>>2910828
gibs us back the mainland!

Free China!
>>
>>2910828
>Christianity never conquered Rome. They only occupied the Empire.
>>
>>2906756
Lmao
>japs
>WE WUZ MANDATE OF HEAVEN N' SHIEEETT
>>
>>2907351
>wah someone is saying things that don't fit my tiny alt right world view!
>better tell them they have a small dick! That'll show em

Lmao
>>
>>2910381
And you could've done something, too bad white cucks. The ship to your salvation set sail a long time ago, just enjoy the twilight of your decline.
>>
File: EudhFzO.gif (1MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
EudhFzO.gif
1MB, 2048x2048px
>>2905646

> Great Britain

Got HK from war, developed it for a hundred years into world class city, BTFO'd by Deng in the 80s and nowadays kow towing as hard as they can to get some Chinese investments

> Japan

Claimed they will conquer China within a year's time, got stuck in a war that lasted for 8 years only to lose all their gains in China to the corrupt/incompetent KMT and their virginity to the Americans

> America

McArthur got cocky and the modern 8 Nation Army got BTFO'd by a wave of Chinese peasants in Korea

> Mongolia

Conquered China in the Yuan Dynasty, got overthrown by the Ming and absorbed by the Qing for like a hundred years. Finally gained Independence under the Soviets only to permanently lose Inner Mongolia to China and is still China's vassal state due to its landlocked nature.

> Russia

Conquered a shit load of Chinese land, only to collapse in the 90s and are now sucking off Xi for money

Really makes you think who got conquered by who in the end doesn't it?
>>
>>2910954
Could it be that Cuntishness is the new Opium?

seems that John Chinaman is very much addicted to the stuff.
>>
File: fu-manchu.png (386KB, 524x435px) Image search: [Google]
fu-manchu.png
386KB, 524x435px
>>2911402
>Really makes you think who got conquered by who in the end doesn't it?

pic related
>>
>>2910003

Why haven't we organized a big all players match like 1914 and 1939 recently?

The devs really fucked up with nukes. Shit is OP and needs to be nerfed to make the game playable.
Thread posts: 132
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.