[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much of greek philosophy and mathematics original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: egypt man.jpg-large.jpg (106KB, 640x657px) Image search: [Google]
egypt man.jpg-large.jpg
106KB, 640x657px
or was it stolen by the Babylonians and Egyptians

i have heard many people claim that greece stole philosophy, math, science from Egypt
>>
none

in terms of mathematics, Egypt focused more on practical stuff

Theoretical mathematics began with Greece, Euclid's Elements is the first known math book to use deductive reasoning and introduced the concept of mathematical proofs

i am tired of this "Egypt taught Greece" meme
>>
>Egypt
>Mathematics

good one
>>
>>2904419
You are a major retard, the kind of retard who isn't even aware of being an ignorant retard so he still feels the need to voice his "opinion":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_mathematics
>>
>>2904407
>Le Greeks didn't borrow anything from other cultures meme

Epic

>Since the rediscovery of the Babylonian civilization, it has become apparent that Greek and Hellenistic mathematicians and astronomers, and in particular Hipparchus, borrowed greatly from the Babylonians.

>Franz Xaver Kugler demonstrated in his book Die Babylonische Mondrechnung ("The Babylonian lunar computation", Freiburg im Breisgau, 1900) the following: Ptolemy had stated in his Almagest IV.2 that Hipparchus improved the values for the Moon's periods known to him from "even more ancient astronomers" by comparing eclipse observations made earlier by "the Chaldeans", and by himself. However Kugler found that the periods that Ptolemy attributes to Hipparchus had already been used in Babylonian ephemerides, specifically the collection of texts nowadays called "System B" (sometimes attributed to Kidinnu). Apparently Hipparchus only confirmed the validity of the periods he learned from the Chaldeans by his newer observations.
>>
>>2904483
Continues:

Other traces of Babylonian practice in Hipparchus' work are:

>first known Greek use of the division the circle in 360 degrees of 60 arc minutes.
first consistent use of the sexagesimal number system.
the use of the unit pechus ("cubit") of about 2° or 2½°.
use of a short period of 248 days = 9 anomalistic months.
>>
>>2904473
none of that is anywhere near as advanced as what Euclid did in the Elements
>>
>>2904488
what does that have to do with anything, I didn't say they didn't borrow, I said alot of their stuff was insular

did Einstein also "steal" from Newton, using your logic
>>
>>2904483
the >Le stealing science from PoC meme

That's it folks.... I guess we should also give credit to the Indians for General Relativity since Einstein used Arabic Numberals
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.