[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ancient Literature/Philosophy and God

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 330px-Monad.svg.png (12KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
330px-Monad.svg.png
12KB, 330x330px
I'm reading Beowulf and Meditations, but by question largely pertains to Mediations.
Under Marcus Aurelius Rome had not been christianized, yet I see him mention both 'the gods' and 'God'.
Is 'God' in this case just the Stoic Monist "logos-God"?

In Beowulf I understand that at the time of it's writing Anglo-Saxon England had been Christianized only about a hundred years or so. I figured the legend to harken back to when the Angles still lived in the Angeln peninsula in Denmark, so why does it not invoke their Old Gods?
>>
>>2903376
I won't pretend to be an expert, but when I studied older English literature at university Beowulf was said to have been Christianized to some degree.
>>
>>2903376
Concerning your question about MA, I think you see correct that he means the Logos/First Mover.
>>
>>2903390
From what I'm reading, Grendel is supposed to be of Cain's lineage, but he is also a "Fen-dweller" which is what Fenrir (the wolf that bit off Tow's hand and will do battle with the gods on Ragnarok) is called.
They also refer to their world as "middle-earth", Middangeard, which is pagan cosmology.
Despite these Germanic tropes, it also condemmed those who sought their salvation from Grendel in "heathen temples, worshipping their idols" and very, very often invokes there "Almighty Father" and God in general.
>>
>>2903416
I think that it's downright fascinating that he reconciles both the Greco-Roman gods as well as the Monad/The Absolute.
I'm not learned enough in their understanding, did they view the gods as just faces of The Absolute, or what?
>>
>>2903435
>Tow's
*Tīw
>>
>>2903449
That depends entirely on the person you're talking about and what cosmology they adhere to. The vast majority of Greco-Romans who believed in an "absolute" were Polytheistic in every way shape and form but believed there was a semi-non-sentient watchmaker entity above them that did not interact with mankind (so trying to interact with it as one might interact with one of the Olympians or numerous other entities was useless).

Many other authors, such as Homer for example, use "God" as a pronoun to refer to a specific god.

Who the fuck knows what Aurelius original intention was because Meditations are his notes to himself.
>>
>>2903479
That would make sense. The Logos was impartial to mankind, but was also above that of the gods.
Sensible, since the Absolute was metaphysical as fuck while the gods were more entity-like. Not to mention very emotional.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.