[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In this day and age, is it possible for a work of art (writing,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1454472204655.jpg (379KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1454472204655.jpg
379KB, 800x600px
In this day and age, is it possible for a work of art (writing, music, movie, etc.) to profoundly impact the culture by itself? Has this ever happened before? I'm thinking of Uncle Tom's Cabin, Common Sense, The Jungle. What circumstances would there have to be to have a work of art affect American/world culture in such a way that it would noticeably change the attitudes of the zeitgest?
>>
>>2901161
I think mostly the work would be recognized as revolutionary only by fellow revolutionary thinkers at first (for example, the Enlightenment movements) which would then dissapate into mainstream thought. I truely hope Extentialism is the next big thing, we humans really have to clean this shit up.
>>
>>2901182
To answer your question, I don't think a single piece of art or media or entertainment would have any large scale impact. It would be more of an ideology slowly spreadig, which would then be tied into media and entertainment.
>>
>>2901161
>Extentialism is the next big thing
explain what you mean, what aspects would become mainstream and what would that mean for the culture as a whole?
>>
>>2901195
meant for
>>2901182
>>
>>2901195
Well I doubt it would ever happen, but if I did I guess everyone would sit around all day and get depressed, or go back to their daily routine. I just wished everyone could realize that we are monkeys with mush for brains, on a rock that won't die, and no matter how hard we try our society will never be perfect because humans themselves are imperfect. I don't want to sound like I'm up on my high horse, but I think us humans are a little too distracted by entertainment.
>>
>>2901161
Nope, unless it's pop-media phenomenal typa engineered for that shit type shit, it'll influence the culture post-mortem, that is, long after the artist or art has passed
>>
Canonisation happens over time, rarely does a work of art become canon overnight.

And yes, it happens. Star Wars and Jaws changed the movies radically and pretty quickly. Citizen Kane before that, although not as fast (it took 20 years for it to be considered the best film ever). The Beatles changed popular music. Duchamps changed the artworld, but that took a couple of decades as well.
>>
>>2901207

There have been plenty of art movements based around the idea that everything is illogical pointless nonsense.

Absurdism and Dadaism come to mind.
>>
>mfw people always talk about how art is dead and not progressing when the very idea of this is impossible.

art reflects society, as society changes art will always change with it,

If you think art is just early modern European sculptures and paintings then yeah you would think we've hit a brick wall - but it's not.

In 500 years this period of art will be just as clear and well-defined as any other period.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.