[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Review of Constantine I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Constantin.jpg (19KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
Constantin.jpg
19KB, 220x293px
Hello guys, Im very interested in Constantine I, the roman emperor from the IV century.
In my opinion, he was the last emperor with a long reign. He wasnt the last 'good one', but he was the last one with a durable empire. I know others like Theodosius I also had a somewhat a long empire but in my opinion they were not as good as Constantine or were simply puppets.
Also I think he was not a christian, I mean he was baptized and all but by an arrian (remember he sentenced itself arrianism as heresy). I find myself filochristian, but I cant agree that he was a christian, by a lot of events or things he did.

What do you guys think? This could be an intereseting thread.
>>
>>2895586
>but I cant agree that he was a christian, by a lot of events or things he did.

what's the point of converting the empire to christianity if he's not actually a christian? it's a lot of work and risk for no real benefit, unless you truly believe in the doctrine
>>
>>2895586
>Also I think he was not a christian, I mean he was baptized and all but by an arrian (remember he sentenced itself arrianism as heresy).
ok? arians were christians. are you going to tell me nestorians weren't christians either? the difference between arians and trinitarians was incredibly small. they had all the same traditions and beliefs except one detail
>>
>>2895590
Op here:
He only made christianity legal. He respected paganism and all other cults. Constantine was a fervent follower of SOL INVICTUS, and christianity does not allows by any means any kind of paganism.
>>
>>2895609
Op:
Well, they really know the differences between them. You can see that theyre little, but I can tell you those are not little things, because nicenism put a good effort on ending arrianism. Also arrianism won on 'barbarian'/germanic zones because was way simplier than nicenism.
>>
>>2895590
He didn't convert the empire. Theodosius did.

Constantine just made it legal to practice in the empire, when it was already popular among the army and the lower classes.

And reminder the "converted on his death bed" shit was only mentioned by one historian, who was a Christian, years after he had died.
>>
>>2895625
Op here: Do you think as me that Constantine was not really a christian? Whats your opinion senpai?
>>
Again Op:
What I cant really understand is WHY Constantine changed his mind and started supporting the arrians short after Nicea I. Was because the friends he had there? Like Eusebius?
>>
>>2895630
I don't think he really gave a shit desu

His mother was a Christian and a good deal of his troops were Christian which most likely had an impact on his decision to make it legal.

He may have paid it some lip service but i doubt he was a practicing Christian. Most of his reign is highlighted by pragmatic decisions, especially when pertaining to religion.
>>
>>2895630
He was a sun god worshiper, a donor to the Temple of Apollo, until he died.

The rumors of a deathbed confession are bogus, as he died with the heretic Arius at his side.

Neither Arius nor Constantine had any inkling as to how to be saved. They were both political animals.
>>
>>2895625
wut, Constantine went on a huge program of church building. near the end of his reign he even endorsed the looting of temples. we have a speech he gave attacking the "heathens" who worship false gods
>>
>>2895630
not a christian
>>
>>2895667
yes, because an arian christian and a follower of sol invictus are the same thing
>>
>>2895695
Wow, op here, that really makes me think... and Im not even memeing.
>>
File: 1490949343772.jpg (809KB, 1300x1244px) Image search: [Google]
1490949343772.jpg
809KB, 1300x1244px
>>2895702
op... that was sarcasm
>>
File: w93YyOX.jpg (165KB, 961x1306px) Image search: [Google]
w93YyOX.jpg
165KB, 961x1306px
*blocks your Britain*
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.