[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is nondenominational Christianity a form of Protestantism? Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: 1280px-Flag_of_England.svg.png (5KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Flag_of_England.svg.png
5KB, 1280x768px
Is nondenominational Christianity a form of Protestantism? Is it equally as retarded as Protestantism?

As a Christian I don't really care about anything else except my relationship with God. If something needs to be done on this Earth to strengthen that bond I'll do it, however I don't buy into the many different Protestant spin-offs and don't believe there is one correct one. Also I don't practice too much but I'd love to get into it.

Should I take up nondenominationalism or am I already going to hell?
>>
Nondenominationalism isn't really a "form" of Christianity at all. Part of the whole point is that it's formless: no church structure (except many churches are run like a business), no confessions, catechisms, creeds, or doctrinal standards (except maybe a 6-point generic list in the back of the church bulletin), no accountability for teaching or behavior. Protestant churches are identifiable. They are generally either Anglican, Lutheran, Reformed/Presbyterian, or Methodist. A lot of people count Baptists as well, but there are good historical reasons why that's not necessarily the case, and Baptists fight with each other over whether they are more Protestant or Anabaptist all the time. When they figure it out for themselves, then I can give you an answer. Protestant Churches adhere to one of a set of identifiable standards: The Thirty-Nine Articles and the BCP, The Book of Concord, The Westminster Standards, the Three Forms of Unity, etc.

Nondenominationalism is not only not united, but when it stands for anything at all, it generally stands for a lack of any identifying marks or standards, so the question of whether they are Protestant or not is kind of moot. They tend to be more generic evangelical "protestant" than Catholic, Orthodox, etc. though, but again, that varies because it's not an actual movement. It's simply a lack of commitment. Non-denominationalism can mean Joel Osteen-style self-help prosperity gospel bullshit in a converted sports stadium or on television, or it can mean a small formerly Lutheran parish that decided they think calling themselves Lutheran is divisive, and by the way who even cares about things like Sacraments or theology. The latter may look a lot more like a Protestant church, but it isn't, really.
>>
>>2894515
If you're not a Catholic you're a protestant, that's all there really is to it.
>>
>>2894765
Oh sht
>>
>>2894515
>Is nondenominational Christianity a form of a Christian denomination?
What do you think
>>
>>2894515
Non denominationalism literaly is watered down baptist theology rebranded for the youth.

Almost always congregational, skimps on liturgy, no structured authority.

Is protestant.

This is coming from a nondom converted to Orthodoxy.
>>
>>2895866
Protestantism encompasses many denominations, but there is no "protestant" denomination. There is Lutheran, Presbyterian, Episcopalian etc
>>
>>2895888
I was considering taking a look at orthodoxy. Why did you switch and what about it is different? Please explain it to someone who doesn't practice but wants to get into it. Do I have to do any specifics?
>>
>>2895431
I wouldn't consider Orthodox to be protestant
>>
>>2895956
Its the true ancient faith. Every church says its based on the bible, but orthodoxy says the bible is based on the church.

The bible agrees when paul says the church is the pillar of truth.

*[[1Ti 3:15]] * but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how it is necessary to conduct oneself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth.

The church traditions are also biblicaly justified.

*[[2Th 2:15]]* So then, brothers, stand fast and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our letter.

Roman Catholicism split from us in 1054 AD.

The Romans believe doctrine is something that grows and changes with the times. Orthodoxy, however, says doctrine remains the same as handed down by the apostles, sometimed needing articulation but not needing to be changed.

Protestantism is just a reactionary movement against the Roman heresy...to dumb it down anyways. To do it justice, I'd say its been a long struggle to really return to Orthodoxy, but is constantly held back by romophobia and protestant propaganda.

Orthodoxy is the narrow way, the ancient faith, and one of the most persecuted faith in the world.
>>
>>2895956
Just go to an Orthodox church for a couple of sundays and be prepared to be patient and do catachisms (homework)
>>
>>2894515
non-organized religion is shit. that's why atheists and humanists love them. they're ineffective, non threatening and completely useless as far as changing a culture.
>>
>>2895956
Check the catalog and archive. There's often a thread about it. Eastern Christianity also includes CoE and its descendants, not called orthodox.
>>
>>2896162
Is the church or any person that works in it considered closer to God than me? This is my one problem with Catholicism, were it not for this I would be fine with 'em.
>>
>>2894515
>>2896191
Non-denominational Christian here, let me hit you with some knowledge.
The whole Christian faith is about accepting that Jesus Christ died for your sins, and to live life as the best person you can be by following in His footsteps. That's it. By knowing Jesus and by doing as he would, you are praising Him by improving the world.
However, after a while, Organized Religion has somewhat perverted this goal one way or another. Remember how the Catholics used to sell indulgences? That kind of bullshit is exactly what Jesus would have spoken out for, and the Pope would have crucified Jesus all the same for it.
Basically, organized religion distracts from the teachings of the Bible and of Jesus, so that's why non-denominational Christianity exists. I'm not here to tell you that you're doing it wrong or anything, I just want all of you to understand why it exists. All of this incessant infighting is exactly what Satan wants, so why bother?
>>
>>2896259
This is my line of thinking
>>
>>2894765
I grew up Romanian Baptist around American Baptist circles. I've never personally met a Baptist who didn't strongly consider themselves Protestant.
>>
>>2896162
>The Romans believe doctrine is something that grows and changes with the times.
That's a strawman. Orthodoxy has changed, just as Catholicism has changed. They have theological differences. This was the reason for the split.
>>
>>2896259
don't you see how this kind of doctrine completely neutralizes you in the modern world? and have you ever asked yourself what is so wrong about selling indulgences? it just gives money to the church. do you remember how jesus told the young rich man to sell all his possessions? today's rich people don't even need to do that, they can just say a few words and pretend they're forgiven. the corruption of the church you speak of is nothing compared with the corruption of our society today.
>>
>>2896344
>don't you see how this kind of doctrine completely neutralizes you in the modern world?
No, I don't. Claiming that "times change, therefore the manner in which you should follow the word of God should also change" is really rather stupid. And indulgences are scamming, which goes directly against Jesus's word to not steal, and scamming is basically the same thing as stealing. That and, it was done in the persuit of the Church's insatiable greed, so it was an evil thing and you should feel bad for defending something so wretched.
However, your point about the rich is misguided.
In Matthew 19:23-24 "Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."
The greed of the rich wanting eternal life will be justly rewarded, since they care too much about their material life to give it up. Anyways, turning a blind eye to corruption within the Church is hypocritical at best, and exactly the reason why Protestantism exists. Maybe if Catholics understood that, there would still be Native Americans in Latin America
>>
>>2896413
>Be Catholics
>Integrate natives into society
>Be protestants
>Genocide natives
>>
>>2896413
why is it scamming? the church would use it to build cool art, or give it to charity, who knows what they would do with it in today's age.
it's ridiculous to me that people can claim "I've been forgiven by god, just trust me" but they would be mad at somebody saying "a priest forgave me after I confessed" or even more mad at a rich guy saying "yea I used to be an evil rich guy, but I gave it all to the church and took a vow of poverty to repent"
>>
>>2896280
Like I said, Baptists are hard to pin down. You'd be surprised how many Baptists deny that they are Protestant. And also how many might say they're Protestant but draw at least as much from Anabaptism. After all, the Sacraments were at the center of the Reformation, and Baptists are not on the side of the Reformers (or the Catholics) on the sacraments.

>>2896259
Do you go to a church? That's organized religion. If you don't go to a church, you aren't non-denominational (a moniker that applies to churches). You're unchurched. And, many would argue, not a Christian.
>>
>>2896427
It was unruly of me to insult Catholics, I'm sorry. However, while genocide of natives was something that pretty much everyone did, the selling of indulgences and the corruption of the Church is exactly why Martin Luther decided to have a shitfit over the whole thing. Why is it that Catholics refuse to acknowledge that they fucked up, aside from worldly hubris? I'm genuinely curious

>>2896450
>it's ridiculous to me that people can claim "I've been forgiven by god, just trust me" but they would be mad at somebody saying "a priest forgave me after I confessed"
Protestants don't like the whole idea about how they have to have a relationship with God through another man. It's one of the base tenants of Protestantism, even if it's not strictly written down.
>or even more mad at a rich guy saying "yea I used to be an evil rich guy, but I gave it all to the church and took a vow of poverty to repent"
I don't know a single religious person who would be mad at that, so yeah I agree with you, that's stupid

>>2896453
>Do you go to a church? That's organized religion.
I was trying to apply a sermon that I heard at my church. Basically the idea was that most churches fall into the habit of "Us vs Them" with anyone who isn't an insider of the church, and reject the undesirables who come to be saved. Personally, I think non-denominational is a misnomer. Because it in of itself, is a denomination, but not in the traditional sense. It's more about eschewing any pointless restrictions and bringing in anyone who wants to be saved. It's the "inclusive" Christianity that is required to pull in those that would otherwise be left on the sidelines when it comes to religion.
So yes, Traditional Denominations have their purpose in the world. But I believe that "Non-denominational" fills the void which other denominations conveniently ignore
>>
>>2896497
>Protestants don't like the whole idea about how they have to have a relationship with God through another man.
why not? I don't get what's so bad about going through a man. Jesus was a man, his apostles were men. what if all of those protestants are too ashamed to say their sins out loud? how do I know if somebody is truly sorry if they can't even admit what they did to somebody?
>>
>>2896542
>why not? I don't get what's so bad about going through a man. Jesus was a man, his apostles were men. what if all of those protestants are too ashamed to say their sins out loud? how do I know if somebody is truly sorry if they can't even admit what they did to somebody?
Because giving that authority to a man (giving forgiveness) is tantamount to saying that a man is greater than God himself, and that's bullshit.
>>
>>2896555
that's the same reason the pharisees wanted to stone Jesus, and he told his apostles they could do the same thing
>Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven.
>>
>>2896257
The priesthood lords nothing over laity, but there is an authoritive structure and there are monastaries full of really cool old guys that are kind of like wizards except no magic, cause were christian, but yeah, listen to them cause they be legit.

Technically the laity is considered part of the priesthood, and is very integral to the church.
>>
>>2896567
Context is important, he was talking about dealing with a sinning brother. I hardly think that involves sin that oneself has commited
>“Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector. “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”
>>
>>2896598
A confession booth is 2 people and one of them has the power to forgive you in heaven. I'm just saying I don't understand the opposition to this idea of "going through a man"
>>
>>2896621
Because some people think it's stupid, that's it
>>
>>2896290
If by theological difference you mean heresy.

We cant both have changed. Either Orthodox is right and you're heretics, or were wrong and were heretics.

One baptism, one communion, one church

Papal infallibility, pergatory, and immaculate conception (wrong because its grounded in doctrine of original sin) all are post schism roman doctrines. The change is evident.

How has Orthodoxy deviated from tradition post schism?

Maybe ull suprise school me with some info i didnt kno.
>>
>>2896627
it's not stupid, it's needed. people to need to get shit off of their chest and a priest is a good person to do it with, otherwise they go to therapy or something that is actually stupid.
>>
>>2896633
Yeah well people disagree with you on that
>>
>>2896641
THEY'RE WRONG AND THEY SHOULD FEEL BAD
>>
>>2896646
*Nails greivances to your front door*
>>
>>2896633
My priest told me the bible actually says were suppose to confess our sins to each other and public confessions were a thing until the church got bigger and they decide for privacy and practicality theyd do confessions with priests.

The Romans have you confess to the priest, but in Orthodoxy you confess before the icon and the priest 'witnesses' it and declares absolution of sins. (Not to be taken that he absolves the sin, he just declares it has been)
>>
>>2896648
Its funny cause the Lutherans are doing this thing where theyre talking about hooking back up with the pope.
>>
File: catholic-wallpapers-0.jpg (3MB, 3951x2469px) Image search: [Google]
catholic-wallpapers-0.jpg
3MB, 3951x2469px
>>2896653
in my little shanty church from childhood we did confession like that before the alter. the one I go to now has a booth, I think it's cool.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.