[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vegan gladiators?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

What are your thoughts on the theory that the gladiators were mostly vegan?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FOWSc8VvOl4
>>
>>2889754

It's a scientifically proven fact, veganism makes your rib cage and skull almost twice as strong as most humans, this has been proven by hundreds of scientific studies. Clearly this (along with faster healing and greater speed) gave vegans a significant advantage.
>>
It was probably way easier back then, meat was expensive and dairy didn't stay good for long. Bread, porridge and some vegetables is probably what most people ate anyways
>>
>>2889754
what was their protein source?
>>
>>2889767
No.

>>2889781
Yes.
>>
>>2889767
You are forgetting the better nigh vision, the acidic spite and the igneoss farts.
>>
Most people in the ancient world were effectively vegan. Milk and eggs were seasonal, meat was expensive. For the gladiators, who were often slaves or other lower class, they would have been eating some of the cheapest and most common food available.

Excepting the nobility and people who owned their own livestock or fished for their own seafood, the average citizen would have eaten 90% grain, olives, and figs with the occasional bit of cheese

>>2889785
Barley and beans
>>
>>2889785
Lentils, beans, eggs, and some dairy kept on site
>>
>>2889789
gladiators were well fed and clothed slaves, also they were given sex partners
>>
>>2889790
>>2889789
For some damn reason, I thought beans were an entirely new world crop. "Bean" is probably the most common object I've had to wiki now.
>>
>>2889801
>also they were given sex partners
Oh, man, another chance to lose my virginity missed.
>>
>>2889806
Some beans are, some aren't. Best ones are black beans which come from the common bean from the Americas.
>>
>>2889801
>also they were pimped out to rich old women
FTFY
>>
>>2889806
>I thought beans were an entirely new world crop.
Common beans, aka Phaseolus Vulgaris, are indeed a new world crop, but beans was also used to describe pod-borne seeds in general.
A bit like how people think corn means only maize when in fact to used to mean cereals in general.
>>
>>2889789
Gladiators would have been an investment. If Pit Bosses got stingy with feeding their fighters, the result would have been fighters that lose more often because they have less weight to push against their opponent. They may have been slaves, but they were slaves who made their owners a LOT of money.

Of course, it also depended on the type of gladiator. A Murmillo or Retiarius would have been the rock stars of the gladiator world, and when they weren't crushing skulls they were porking some cucked senator's wife. A bestiaries, a beast-handler, was barely one step above a convict, and they were often thrown to their own animals when they failed a task, which isn't really surprising when you consider that in order to get a lion to feast on a human or to get a donkey to rape a woman in the middle of a crowded arena filled with thousands of screaming fans, you really had the mind-fuck the animal to the point of insanity, and even the ancients would have found that to be a wholly unpleasant task, leaving the task for less desirables.

Gladiators would have been bear-mode. They wouldn't have had big bulgy chests with narrow waists like modern weight lifters, they would have had stocky trunks and powerful shoulders, from being fed a very rich diet of vegetables and lentils.

This isn't without modern precedent, either. Early in the 20th century professional boxers were given a nice big steak to eat the night before a big match, but today we know that a giant plate of spaghetti would be much more helpful for their needs.

Meat is tasty, that's about the only thing it has going for it. Even modern athletes don't need more than a fist-sized piece of white meat a week.
>>
>>2889920
>or to get a donkey to rape a woman in the middle of a crowded arena
I thought they used big dogs.
>>
>>2889806
Most of the beans you eat are new world, but lentils and garbanzos are old world. Fava beans too
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.