[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: vapor_wave 1.png (161KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
vapor_wave 1.png
161KB, 1920x1080px
Why did Rome's infantry use swords and shields? Didn't the Greeks and particularly Alexander show that spear and shield or even spear alone is better? This seems like such a basic question but I have never seen a good reason for using swords as a primary weapon.

Picture minimally related.
>>
after the french revolution, what were the terms "left wing" and "right wing" applied to?
>>
>>2877626

The romans did use phalanxes in their earlier history, but they found them to be really ineffective in rugged terrain (IE hills when they were fighting the samnites). Their particular sword/shield combo proved to be more effective against phalangites than another phalanx, demonstrated by them proceeding to BTFO the greeks.
>>
>>2877642
Left supported revolution right supported the king. That was before the revolution.

Afterwards, left generally became a term for anything antagonistic to the existing hierarchy while the right wing supported said hierarchy.
>>
Why were republics and democracies effectively dead in the middle ages compared to how they actually existed in antiquity?
>>
>>2877655
Was this because the spears got longer or because their training was poor? Alexander apparently was able to fight effectively with phalangites even through rivers or extremely rugged terrain. I know the spears got longer with time but why not just make them shorter again if rugged terrain was a problem? It just seems to me that the spear has such obvious advantages over a sword in ordered combat.
>>
>>2877690
Spear formations simply cannot operate in mountains. Early Roman's fought in terrain that made moving phalanx esmeralda ineffective. They started losing battles and changed their military accordingly.
>>
>>2877626
Spears beat cavalry
Swords beat spears
Cavalry beats everything but spears.
Bows are for the young and the pussies.
>>
>>2877800
>Spears beat cavalry
*flanks behind you*
nothing personal, kid
>>
>>2877800
real life isn't fire emblem faggot
>>
Who wrote the bible?
>>
Should Ethiopia be considered a colony of Italy? I often hear people say it avoided colonisation or other people saying it was a colony of Italy
>>
>>2878711
By most definitions yes, they conquered and then built roads, hospitals, schools, etc; and appointed colonial government, They weren't there as long as other colonial powers held their colonies so maybe that's why people wouldn't consider it
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.