[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was prohibition really a culture war between the anglo-saxon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: I don't like thing.jpg (113KB, 321x360px) Image search: [Google]
I don't like thing.jpg
113KB, 321x360px
Was prohibition really a culture war between the anglo-saxon protestants of rural America and the alcohol loving Germanic and/or catholic residents of the cities?
>>
>>2876838
It was a war on degenerate anti-culture.
>>
>>2876838
it was a war between the sexes
>>
>>2876838
Yes, prohibition was primarily motivated by anti-German sentiment since drinking of alcohol was seen by many WASPs as a German trait
>>
It was a war between protestants and western civilization.
>>
Pretty sure it was because wives were tired of their husbands spending their merger paycheck on alcohol.
>>
>>2877039
>>2877103
Bingo.

>19th Amendment ratified in 1920
>Prohibition started in 1920
>>
>>2877039
>>2877187
The women wanted to drink and get beat up by their drunk husbands? That's an angle I haven't heard of yet..
>>
>>2877194
who is saying that?
if you think we are saying the women should have accepted it we don't
>>
>>2877052
do wasps not drink?
>>
>>2876838
to be fair it was one of the most drunken times in history, peopel would have an 'eye opener' of hard drink when they rolled out of bed, and it just went up from there.
>>
>>2877989
Wasn't part of that because water quality was still shitty? Or am I confusing my eras?
>>
>>2879147
I remember reading that it was something to do with americans changing from drinking beer/ale to hard liquors, while retaining the beer drinking culture
>>
>>2877039
Tbqh this is actually a good part of the explanation.
>>
>>2877817

Yeah, but iirc rural america felt like their country was being taken over by immigrants, Germans and Italians and such who really liked to drink.

Saloons were seen as unamerican. And anti-catholic sentiment was very strong throughout most of American history, since colonial days. Even as recently as when JFK was president, people were concerned he was taking orders from the Pope.
>>
>>2877989
>>2879147
>>2879369

alcoholic beverages were a lot weaker than they are today. They were made that way because alcohol kills bacteria, so it was shitloads easier than water to store in a room temperature barrel (without soon turning piss yellow), and the idea was that you'd chug it all day, mostly to quench your thirst, but by the evening have a nice buzz going.

It was only with the industrial revolution that beverages started to have such potent alcohol content that it only took a few ounces to get someone buzzed, and if you chugged it all day you'd be completely sloshed to the point of putting your health at risk, all the while clean water was getting easier and easier to find.

>>2879749
>>2879790
Temperance was a bipartisan issue with supporters and detractors on both sides of the aisle. Some progressives championed it because they thought it would help women, but others attacked it on grounds that it was anti-immigrant and discriminatory towards Catholics. Some conservatives championed it because they either hated Catholic immigrants and/or thought that alcohol was polluting the moral fiber of the nation, but supported by others who thought that it was an unwarranted intrusion of the government into the personal lives of the citizenry.
>>
File: brother jonathan.gif (177KB, 543x693px) Image search: [Google]
brother jonathan.gif
177KB, 543x693px
People need to understand better just how despicable the Anglo-Protestant has been throughout American history. Prohibition, suffrage, the Civil War, all of them came from none other than Brother Jonathan.
>>
File: 1452012850390.jpg (36KB, 426x434px) Image search: [Google]
1452012850390.jpg
36KB, 426x434px
Anglo Saxons drink fucking tons too
>>
>>2879802
>It was only with the industrial revolution that beverages started to have such potent alcohol content that it only took a few ounces to get someone buzzed, and if you chugged it all day you'd be completely sloshed to the point of putting your health at risk, all the while clean water was getting easier and easier to find.
Actually, most of the more potent alcohols became popular during prohibition, as smuggling required you to be able to pack more in less space. True both in the US, and abroad, as so many nations were selling, directly or indirectly, to smugglers.

...Which is pretty much with happens to any drug under a prohibition.
>>
File: al-capone-9237536-1-402.jpg (172KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
al-capone-9237536-1-402.jpg
172KB, 1200x1200px
>>2879869
That was part of it, but even in those days people were making 'rotgut' in their bathtubs which were probably mixed with paint thinner and a bunch of other nasty shit but was still potent enough to get you tanked. The gin that prohibition officers were pouring out on the day prohibition was passed was very different from the gin that Thomas Jefferson kept next to his bed and took a big old swallow from as soon as he woke up in the morning.

The Italian mob were the first generation of liquor salesmen to realize that the best way to make a profit with the harder stuff is not making it on the cheap and selling it to common working class bums, but to make it clean, put it in a fancy bottle, and sell it to rich white people, single handedly inventing the concept of a "scofflaw" where people know the law, but deliberately break it because they believe that it is unjust.

Infusing drinking culture into the American mainstream conformity culture probably had more to do with public attitudes shifting against temperance than anything else, and ironically by making alcohol legitimate again, the mob was driven out of the alcohol business by honest corporations.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.