[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was watching black sails and I was wondering.Were warships

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: warship.jpg (169KB, 1680x939px) Image search: [Google]
warship.jpg
169KB, 1680x939px
I was watching black sails and I was wondering.Were warships and galleons really that superior to regular ships? The Spanish warship defeated a small English fleet and destroyed an entire village with a bombardment in one episode and with 3 rounds of volleys destroyed 2 regular ships and made them explode
>>
>>2870716
What the hell are 'regular' ships?

And yes, obviously a huge First Rate with a billion FUCKOFF cannons has a couple of advantages over smaller ships. Big surprise.
>>
>>2870756
>regular' ships
Brigantines.It was the most common ship at the time.
>>
>>2870772
That's a two master and wouldn't even be considered a ship back in those days.
>>
File: novgorod_ship.jpg (35KB, 600x329px) Image search: [Google]
novgorod_ship.jpg
35KB, 600x329px
>>2870716
It's dramatized for better TV, but a ship of the line would easily be able to sink lightly armed ships at harbor and fuck up a village's day.
>>
Galleons were the biggest and most armed warships, of course they'd fuck up any smaller ship
>>
>>2870716
I have no idea what black sails is, but you appear to have a fucking three decker in your pic. Yeah, that thing is gonna fucking rape a brigantine or four any day of the week.
You need to understand that big ships have a lot of advantages over small ships:
>more and heavier cannon
>shitloads more men (literally, we're speaking hundreds vs dozens)
>way thicker hulls and masts (this is important, small cannon are not even guaranteed to pierce the reinforced parts)
>higher sides = fuckhard to board
>faster than small ships in windy or bad weather
You don't just take higher rated vessels on your own. It's so fucking hard and rare that when it happens it basically makes the captain a legend (see HMS Speedy vs El Gamo, a brig vs frigate battle than propelled Cochrane to basically Nelson tier fame during the napoleonic wars).
>>
>>2870959
>when you max out land focus but then need to build a navy
>>
>>2871079
>Cochrane to basically Nelson tier fame
Are we talking about Medicine studies sources?
>>
>>2871125
Dude Cochrane was basically a national hero after he took the Gamo. It took him literally being a criminal and an absolute asshole to tear down his fame.
>>
>>2870716
The first season of Black Sails was highly inaccurate.

The rest were OK.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.