[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come France lost the Algerian war?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: Algerian_war_collage_wikipedia.jpg (577KB, 951x953px) Image search: [Google]
Algerian_war_collage_wikipedia.jpg
577KB, 951x953px
How come France lost the Algerian war?
>>
>>286840

The same way every material power loses every asymmetric war. Costs involved in fighting the weaker party are too high to be worth the goal conceived.

In particular, the use of torture to break resistance cells was viewed as abhorrent and killed a lot of French support when further hostilities broke out.
>>
>>286840
Because the French citizenry found out what they were doing to win.
>>
Because a great film had to be made.

But really, this.
>>286844
>>
They should have just committed genocide and resettled the land with Frenchies desu
>>
>>287021
Can't do that anymore.
Media would bring light of it in a snap.
>>
>>287236
Why didn't they do it in the 1800's? Imagine if Algeria was still a part of France, infact imagine if all the Med countries were part of European nations with the Arab removed. It would be amazing, those beaches, the architecture, the history. It would be a 10/10 holiday but no it's filled with fucking Arabs and is doomed to forever be a shit hole.
>>
>>287236
>>Media would bring light of it in a snap.
the media do nothing but report. it is the mentality of the people which matters. and conventional human rights have been well ingrained in the population so that the population refuses their mis-application, unless the population is directly under stress.
>>
>>286840
Collapse of domestic support, too expensive to keep fighting, guerrilla warfare giving post-WWII modern militaries trouble
Seems like this is was France's Vietnam, after their actual Vietnam in the '50s

I wonder how French-Algerian history will be confronted in the coming years, with France hosting a large and young Maghrebi population
>>
Same exact way America lost the Vietnam war.
>>
Arab breed faster than the French could kill them
>>
>>286840
>france
>good at war
>>
>>288346
We defeated the world. Several times. Your country got his shit BTFO by fucking birds.
>>
File: 1411889283634.jpg (36KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
1411889283634.jpg
36KB, 480x454px
>>288430
H-how did you know I was Australian
>>
>>286840
Because De Gaulle stabbed the Legion in the back.
>>
File: 1445077180434.webm (3MB, 640x350px) Image search: [Google]
1445077180434.webm
3MB, 640x350px
>>288453
Jeez, I don't know...
>>
>>288453
rekt, absolutely fucking rekt
how do you lose to birds, HOW?
>>
File: 1447859368234-0.jpg (17KB, 246x300px) Image search: [Google]
1447859368234-0.jpg
17KB, 246x300px
>>288462
Hi
>>
>>286840
They "lost" the same way USA did in Vietnam. It wasn't even a war anyway.
>>
>>287021
Why would I leave my vineyard outside Marseilles to become a street sweeper in Algiers?
>>
>>288914
The same reason people move to other countries, new experiences, maybe better jobs, the thrill of conquering new land.
>>
>>288939
>maybe better jobs
How? If there is no native underclass to take up all the menial jobs then all I can expect upon emigrating is to have to do the shit work so that French aristos can enjoy themselves. What's the point of a colony if it's just empty land with no people to exploit?
>>
>>287262
if ifs and buts were candies and nuts
>>
>>288947
Because it would be a new country to build? You know German and UK have jobs despite not being colonies right?
>>
>>288947
>What's the point of a colony if it's just empty land with no people to exploit?
Ressources. Algeria has loads of gas and petrol. Sure you need to harvest it, but with technology progressing it would require less workers.
>>
French occupation in Algiers happened basically as an afterthought in the 19th century. It was on borrowed time anyway, particularly after the nationalist wave of the postwar era and the Soviets meddling there.
>>
>>288966
You still need people to dig ditches, work latrines, etc. If you're just bringing all the conveniences of the first world to the third world then you're not making nearly as much money as you would just exploiting an existing population to do the work cheaply and bring it back to the home country so it can benefit.

In short, a strong Algeria doesn't benefit France but a weak Algeria makes for a stronger France. Why would French citizens work to weaken their country for a patch of sand they have no connection to?
>>
>>288963
I'm a proud Frenchman, why would I want to build a new country when my country already possesses this one as a colony? Wouldn't it better to just force the people to serve France's interests and benefit my great home rather than try and carve something new from the dirt and sand I have no connection to?
>>
>>288981
I think the point he's making is not to have it be Algiers anymore
Like exactly what you said it's empty land with resources but it would be empty FRENCH land
>>
File: algf.jpg (109KB, 333x741px) Image search: [Google]
algf.jpg
109KB, 333x741px
>>286840
They won militarily speaking, but it was unwinnable politcally
Public support at home was extremely low (mainly duue to conscripts being sent die there) and the US were heavily pressuring on France for them to give up their colonies
>>
File: 114.jpg (158KB, 1088x725px) Image search: [Google]
114.jpg
158KB, 1088x725px
Non, rien de rien...
>>
>>286840

Lack of political will, WW2 sucked major dick.
>>
>>289025
wasting FRENCH resources on a useless piece of land where the only good spots are gas and petrol shit. those resource spots are all you need along with building infrastructure for your colonists to help and distract them.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.