[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Colonialism in Africa

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

When discussing the nature of colonialism in the African Continent the argument is usually framed disingenuously as "colonialism was evil" or "colonialism was good." Most people who are inclined against the "colonialism is evil" argument tend to not to justify colonialism as being good per say but make the argument it wasn't worse than the pre-colonial status quo or that it had more benefits to the African Continent than not. You also have philosophically egoist arguments (which apply to the ego of a state or nation in this case as opposed to an individual) and social Darwinist arguments (might makes right). Most common of all is a combination of the above.

What do you think, /his/. Was Africa better off before colonialism, generally the same (despite different methodology) before and during colonialism or did Africa benefit from colonialism? Instead of cherry picking bad events (Belgian Congo, Herero and Namaqua genocide) or good events (advancing Africa technologically, expanding the horizons of the African people) how do all these things mesh together to show a picture of the whole?
>>
>>2864922
Was Africa even truly colonized? It is and has always been full of Africans. In fact there are probably more Africans in Europe than the other way around.

African "colonization" is likely a white supremacist psyop.
>>
>>2864922
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Banning harmful superstitions and human sacrifice was naturally a positive

Committing genocide, land seizures, and slavery wasn't
>>
>>2864984
Slavery has always existed in Africa, so has genocidal tendencies, harmful superstitious stuff still happens.
>>
>>2864988
But it was lessened to a degree.
>>
>>2864922
They should have just plunder everything and go, no need to stay there and exploit everyone. They ruined Africa far more than slavers from the medieval age up to the 18th century did.

Shit like dividing the continents in stupid countries with shitty names that has no basis in local culture fucked them as much as south american countries, specially the andean ones.

You could say "but medicine, human sacrifices and crazy shit stopped" and that would still be wrong because they have endless wars.

For the Rhodesiafags, the only reason it wasn't a shithole is that it was the USA of Africa. They held the natives under strict rules but allowed them to integrate. The dominant culture considered Rhodesia a new land with a culture that will be developed by them, unlike the africans who now live in fucking Central African Republic.

>be in a tribe
>good life but sometimes get invaded
>europeans come and do this in epic proportions
>"dafuq man now I must work for them and not for me like the good old days"
>some western educated member of the tribe returns from Europe
>"This place should be independent and will be called [stupid name here made up by europeans]"
>"What the fuck is a country nigga u crazy"
>"But you won't work for them if you help me"
>"OK"
>"Finally I will work for me!"
>gets taxed to oblivion
>gets genocided because you didn't side with this politician
>get invaded but someone from another tribe but this time they got AK-47
>some nigs from another country also want your land

This shit happened all over the place.
>>
>>2865197
/thread
let's end it now so that the /pol/tards don't show up.
>>
You whitebois should look at mother Russia, they know how to colonize.

>kill natives
>build artificial cities where there is no need for them
>force people to go live there

And done, now its a core part of Russia, not just some evil colony.
>>
>>2864922
must we have this exact same topic with the exact pic every single time?
>>
>>2865197
>For the Rhodesiafags, the only reason it wasn't a shithole is that it was the USA of Africa. They held the natives under strict rules but allowed them to integrate. The dominant culture considered Rhodesia a new land with a culture that will be developed by them, unlike the africans who now live in fucking Central African Republic.

The Rhodesian system paid lipservice to integration but it was completely built up and explicitly to ensure whites had all the power both in education, voting and the economy. Rhodesian "integration" was a fucking farce if you read it up.
>>
>>2864974
>In fact there are probably more Africans in Europe than the other way around.
>African "colonization" is likely a white supremacist psyop.
what
>>
>>2866754
That's pretty much what happened in America, didn't it?
>>
File: Fuzzy Skelly.gif (207KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Fuzzy Skelly.gif
207KB, 500x500px
>>2866712
Nigger!
>>
>>2864922
The only successful colonies are those where the europeans replaced or killed off the native primitives, and those where they ruled over them
>>
>>2867631
hong kong.
>>
>>2867631
That's completely true. It's not about race but culture. The spaniards destroyed the Incan Empire culture and its subjects and look how Peru and Bolivia is. Bolivia is better because they are all going muh indigenous glorious past, thus engaging in nation-building while in Peru they usa that to sell beer.
>>
>>2866799

Completely untrue. Born in Bulawayo late '60s; no larp. You're beyond wrong.
>>
>>2866799
sounds to me like your sources could have some implicit biases.

care to make any references?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.