[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to imagine a color one has never seen before?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

File: hdfhdfhdfhfdhdf.jpg (61KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
hdfhdfhdfhfdhdf.jpg
61KB, 500x375px
Is it possible to imagine a color one has never seen before?
>>
>>2858037
If we could see wavelengths beyond the visible spectrum then maybe
>>
>>2858037
Doesn't this type of question belong on >>>/sci/?
>>
>>2858053
It is philosophical question and philosophy isn't science.
>>
>>2858037
Impossible to imagine it, but possible to see it. You just need to get more color receptors, man. It'll be possible, soon.
>>
>>2858037
yes, not only color but sound too
smoke weed erryday
>>
Maybe with genetic engineering in a far future, we will be able to see Ultraviolets, Infrareds, Sound and Electromagnetism.
>>
Op. I hate to break it to you but idea colors and sounds exist that I can't perceive is just a fairy tale.
>>
>>2858053
This actually sounds like one of the weird questions that get spammed on /sci/ all the time.
>>
>>2858037
Remove your lens and you cam actually see ultraviolet light.
>>
>>2858037
No.
>>
File: uv.png (217KB, 461x409px) Image search: [Google]
uv.png
217KB, 461x409px
>>2858153
> we will be able to see ultraviolets
>>
>>2858176
That I didn't know. It's probably not a good idea though, UV would burn the retina.
>>
File: gnosticsoul.jpg (111KB, 509x378px) Image search: [Google]
gnosticsoul.jpg
111KB, 509x378px
>>2858157
try harder
>>
>>2858185
You can also be born with some sort of reverse daltonism that allows you to see like more base colors than just red, black and white.
>>
no because our eyes can only detect seven colors
>>
File: dress_colorchange.webm (552KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
dress_colorchange.webm
552KB, 480x480px
>>2858037
You do it all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magenta#In_optics_and_color_science

It's all in your mind.

>>2858167
...and yes, yes it is. "muh qualia" is a /sci/ meme as, like every other board, 90% of the posters are trolls.
>>
>>2858037
Sure they look like this.
https://youtu.be/XfP8XcvkOLk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_color
>>
>>2858458
Can't post pic so here's the link
http://imgur.com/7EJNQ
>>
>>2858458
I'd describe the new color as sort of a light brown.
>>
>>2858486
Yeah or pale yellow and light bluish green. Bees are apparently able to see them. Had the page style set to yotsuba and after looking at the video picture and I could see light glacier blue green on the screen and on the main page.
>>
File: 1348497958052.gif (895KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1348497958052.gif
895KB, 480x480px
Is it possible to imagine a sound one has never heard before?
>>
>>2858426
>that webm
That trickery only works with cameras, it's not clever.
>>
Yes. Search for Missing Shade of Blue example, by Hume.
>>
>>2858561
Yes humans do that all the time.
>>
>>2858119
Would your visual cortex actually make up a new color? Wouldn't it just stretch it's pallette to include the new range of wavelenghts? Like, blue and violet would become more similar because you'd need the "qualia" for violet to stand in for UV?
>>
File: cosmicbear.jpg (21KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
cosmicbear.jpg
21KB, 346x346px
>>2859226
But can you imagine a sound that you have never heard ?
>>
File: that damned dress.gif (317KB, 500x351px) Image search: [Google]
that damned dress.gif
317KB, 500x351px
>>2858605
orly?
>>
>>2860600
2nd lower tone begins at 0:03
all I hear is "bam bam bam bam" all the way through
>>
>>2858561
I just imagined the sound of having sex
>>
Why would it be impossible? Why would your imagination be limited by your real world physical abilities?
>>
>>2860766
Because your imagination is literally only familiar (real) concepts and symbols formed into a new context.
>>
There's a woman who has tetrachromacy, look it up
>>
>>2860774
Why? Is your claim based on something other than induction? Your imagination is the result of some physical/chemical shit going on in your brain. If someone saw a new color and then imagined it, there would be some physical/chemical reaction, which I don't see why couldn't be replicated in a brain that hasn't actually seen it.
>>
File: blue green language colors.jpg (46KB, 600x403px) Image search: [Google]
blue green language colors.jpg
46KB, 600x403px
>>2860766
Imagination works by synthesis.

Horse + Horn = Unicorn.. K, fine, that works.

Red + Not Red = ??

Though it's also worth noting that people who do not have a word for blue, cannot distinguish from green. (And in Homer's day, they didn't have a word for either.)

>>2860800
Think about 3% of women pass the tetrachromacy test, but the odd thing is that some men can pass it too, and it should be impossible for them.

Worth noting that of the three man I've read about who did pass it, two were interior decorators and the other was an artist.
>>
human eyes cant see past 30 colors per second anyways
>>
>>2860530
AAARRGGHHHH!!!! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!!!!!
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.