[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a conspiracy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1493959416890.jpg (68KB, 313x334px) Image search: [Google]
1493959416890.jpg
68KB, 313x334px
As an american, it kinda feels like our people don't talk much about Americans before the independence movement.

It just goes "pilgrims" (before or after they came to the new world for "religious freedom" is never explained more than that) and then Boston Tea party stuff, maybe a mumble or two about the French-Indian war.

I may be getting this wrong, but it seems like the public (and thus not including history nerds) has no knowledge whatsoever on this one crucial part of American history.

Let alone the influences from the old world that shaped Americans, like the English Civil war and Glorious Revolution.
>>
Depends. I live in Pennsylvania so I remember learning quite a bit of colonial history (including local history), but I can understand someone in Missouri or California not learning much of it in school.
>>
>>2856659
they did cover all that stuff in my class but not so deeply. maybe you just dont remember
>>
>>2856659
>it kinda feels like our people don't talk much about Americans before the independence movement
There were no "Americans" before the independence movement. There were Virginians and New Yorkers etc... etc...
>>
>>2856670
I can see this. I live in Florida and they covered the spanish forts and settlements fairly extensively in our texbooks (usually had a whole chapter dedicated to it). Cali kids probably have a chapter about the goldrush.
>>
>>2856659
There is, in order to portray your revolt as one pulled off by a "new people" as opposed to legit British subjects who should be paying tax.
>>
>>2856659
There is very little knowledge regarding the movement to actually get a Hohenzollern king to rule the colonies. Mostly because it ruins the whole THE FATHERS WANTED A DEMOCRACY ALL ALONG.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Henry_of_Prussia_(1726%E2%80%931802)#Proposal_for_King_of_the_United_States
>>
>>2856659
This period is really interesting, apparently lots of colonists fled to live with the indians and it became a big problem for the british and french.
>>
>>2856762
>Mostly because it ruins the whole THE FATHERS WANTED A DEMOCRACY ALL ALONG.
pretty much this. americans aren't taught a ton about pre-independence because there is a drive to hype up and mythologize the american war of independence as legendary or what have you. critically examining it is second banana to the myth-making project.
>>
>>2856720
>Cali kids probably have a chapter about the goldrush.
I live in California and our textbooks covered the goldrush, the spanish setting up their missions along our coast, and our role in the mexican american war. Those were the main california specific topics from what I remember.
>>
>>2856745
VERY GOOD POST
>>
>>2856659
Kids are dumb, so the curriculum keeps in simple: revolution, slavery, civil war, WW1, Great Depression, WW2, Cold War, and civil rights. Keep it as relevant as possible to modern life band use wars to keep things exciting.
>>
>>2856659

It's not a conspiracy. History is just a very complex and usually very boring thing, which most people don't give a shit about.

Schools teach kids the very basics of how their country came into being and the most important recent events and leave the rest up to you, became they also have a dozen other subjects competing for attention that are arguably more important.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.