[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SOLA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: martin-luther-9389283-1-402.jpg (232KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
martin-luther-9389283-1-402.jpg
232KB, 1200x1200px
SOLA
>>
File: ballsack.jpg (19KB, 340x315px) Image search: [Google]
ballsack.jpg
19KB, 340x315px
>>2854151
BALLSACK XDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
File: 1468108352377.jpg (365KB, 1495x825px) Image search: [Google]
1468108352377.jpg
365KB, 1495x825px
>>2854151
>>
>“Regarding the things I say, I should supply even the proofs, so I will not seem to rely on my own opinions, but rather, prove them with Scripture, so that the matter will remain certain and steadfast.”

St. John Chrysostom (Homily 8 On Repentance and the Church, p. 118, vol. 96 TFOTC)

>"Let the inspired Scriptures then be our umpire, and the vote of truth will be given to those whose dogmas are found to agree with the Divine words."

St. Gregory of Nyssa (On the Holy Trinity, NPNF, p. 327).

>"We are not entitled to such license, I mean that of affirming what we please; we make the Holy Scriptures the rule and the measure of every tenet; we necessarily fix our eyes upon that, and approve that alone which may be made to harmonize with the intention of those writings."

St. Gregory of Nyssa (On the Soul and the Resurrection NPNF II, V:439)

>“What is the mark of a faithful soul? To be in these dispositions of full acceptance on the authority of the words of Scripture, not venturing to reject anything nor making additions. For, if ‘all that is not of faith is sin’ as the Apostle says, and ‘faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God,’ everything outside Holy Scripture, not being of faith, is sin.”

Basil the Great (The Morals, p. 204, vol 9 TFOTC).

>“For concerning the divine and holy mysteries of the Faith, not even a casual statement must be delivered without the Holy Scriptures; nor must we be drawn aside by mere plausibility and artifices of speech. Even to me, who tell you these things, give not absolute credence, unless you receive the proof of the things which I announce from the Divine Scriptures. For this salvation which we believe depends not on ingenious reasoning, but on demonstration of the Holy Scriptures.”

St. Cyril of Jerusalem (Catechetical Lectures, IV:17, in NPNF, Volume VII, p. 23.)
>>
>"It is impossible either to say or fully to understand anything about God beyond what has been divinely proclaimed to us, whether told or revealed, by the sacred declarations of the Old and New Testaments."

St. John of Damascus, On the Orthodox Faith, Book I, Chapter 2

>"Nevertheless, sacred doctrine makes use of these authorities as extrinsic and probable arguments; but properly uses the authority of the canonical Scriptures as an incontrovertible proof, and the authority of the doctors of the Church as one that may properly be used, yet merely as probable. For our faith rests upon the revelation made to the apostles and prophets who wrote the canonical books, and not on the revelations (if any such there are) made to other doctors. Hence Augustine says (Epis. ad Hieron. xix, 1): "Only those books of Scripture which are called canonical have I learned to hold in such honor as to believe their authors have not erred in any way in writing them. But other authors I so read as not to deem everything in their works to be true, merely on account of their having so thought and written,

whatever may have been their holiness and learning."–St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologia, Part 1, Question 1, Article 8
>>
>>2855648
>>2855762
>>2855769
Cherry picking.
>>
>>2856298
They are definitive statements. You simply can't handle Rome being undercut by its own "fathers".
>>
>>2856355
http://www.staycatholic.com/early_church_fathers.htm
>>
>>2857663
>more direct link
http://www.staycatholic.com/ecf_scripture.htm

Wherever church fathers appeal to or acknowledge a "tradition of the church" or the Apostles, they either place it behind scriptural proof, or at best equal to it. Never ahead. Prima scriptura.
>>
>>2858071
>Wherever church fathers appeal to or acknowledge a "tradition of the church" or the Apostles, they either place it behind scriptural proof, or at best equal to it. Never ahead. Prima scriptura.
So the opposite of what fatty germ boy did?
>>
>>2858071
>scripture first
>solely scripture
Pick one.
>>
>>2858071
So if someone pointed out how such and such tradition had no basis or was even condemned in scripture, you'd totally abandon it?
>>
>>2858162
>>2858179
>>2858258

It's a short jump from prima scriptura to sola scriptura. All it takes is for church tradition to run counter to what scripture teaches, which is exactly what Luther confronted and railed against.
>>
Christianity + German autism = Protestantism

ethnic variation is natural to any religion
the Persians didn't end up practicing Islam like the Arabs
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.