[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

KJV Onlyism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: king james bible.jpg (1MB, 1671x2695px) Image search: [Google]
king james bible.jpg
1MB, 1671x2695px
Because it makes so much sense that the final authority should be a 17th century Anglican text

where does this autism come from?
>>
>>2853777
If you have Calvinist leanings it's not that difficult to justify
>>
>>2853783
but what are the main arguments that people use to justify KJV onlyism?
>>
>>2853783

Go on......
>>
It was the authoritative English translation backed by the crown. How many people in England do you think could read the bible in Greek and Hebrew?
>>
>>2853787

because god is an englishman.
>>
>>2853787
>>2853788
God predestined all things -> God intended his English-speaking elect to pursue the truth -> the truth in English is best revealed in KJV
>>
>>2853777
>where does this autism come from?
KJV was a poetic and authentic theological attempt for its time. Its poetry is enduring. Its theology is badly out of date.
>>
>>2853791
Yeah but that doesn't explain why there are King James only sects alive today.

It didn't even make sense at the time, if it even existed at the time, as there were two other English translations of the Bible that has government backing written around the same time, mostly circulated in Scotland.
>>
Isn't every bible that was published before the discovery of the dead sea scrolls considered outdated among academics?
>>
>>2853814
Yes.
>>
>>2853787
>muh textus receptus
>>
>>2853814
No? The Dead Sea Scrolls don't have anything on them that other manuscripts didn't. They're significant because they're old, not because the text is any different.
>>
>>2853855
Not him, but they actually do have a few small differences; but they're not stuff that's theologically shattering, it's mostly different grammatical notes, or how Goliath is only about 6'9 instead of being 10ish feet tall when he fights David.
>>
>>2853777
Anglo bigotry and the desire to rule the world. They're even making translations based on the KJV.
Contemporary KJO'ers could not care what your skin color is, race is, or what language you speak so long as you believe and behave like them. So it's all cultural imperialism emanating mostly from the source in the US of A.
>>
>>2853865
>They're even making translations based on the KJV.
Somehow I'm inclined to doubt that translating from existing translations is a practice exclusive to the Americans.
>>
>>2853799

That's not an argument, it's still entirely arbitrary even with predestination, you could just say the same thing about any other English translation if you chose.
>>
File: j.jpg (7KB, 194x259px)
j.jpg
7KB, 194x259px
>>2853783
>>
>>2853871
The most reputable English translations are based on the original languages including Catholic bibles. Translations from other languages are probably done for the same people of the same community that produced them but who are no longer fluent in the liturgical language. It's very different from deliberately proselytizing foreign people with only one's own textual tradition.
>>
>>2853777
The 1611 KJV is the greatest work of English Literature, and should be held above all other translations for this reason. Protestants fell in love with their creation... a fate common to artists.
>>
It's not a terrible translation but the notion that a translation can't be improved upon or that it was inspired is preposterous.
The ASV can be a good replacement to it for those who like the style.
>>
So many redditors in this thread. If the KJV was good enough for St Paul then it's good enough for me.
>>
>>2853777
KJV isn't bad, but it's a part of Anglo culture so people tend to overrate and worship it.
>>
black hebrew israelites also believe in KJV onlyism and they justify it by saying that king james was a black man
>>
King james is love. King james is life.
>>2854016
You mean kang jamez?
>>
>>2853949
The KJV was the go to Bible for St Paul?
>>
>>2854070

What the fuck was it if it wasn't the KJV, show me some evidence.
>>
>>2854381
For starters, you have the fact that the KJV was composed in the 17th century, some 1,600 years after Paul died.
>>
>>2854393

God exists outside of time, retard.
>>
>>2854417
Paul is God? I'm pretty sure that's a majorly heretical belief.
>>
>>2854431

The KJV is God's book, simpleton.
>>
>>2854482
based on what
>>
>>2854650

Faith.
>>
>>2853799
>God intended his English-speaking elect to pursue the truth -> the truth in English is best revealed in KJV

IT
DOES
NOT
FOLLOW
>>
>>2854751

faith doesn't have to follow youre (((((((logic)))))) and (((((((reason)))))))

i bet you think dinosores are real and evolutions is real
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.