[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tragedy, highest form of art?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: large-13.jpg (295KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
large-13.jpg
295KB, 1920x1200px
Tragedy, is fundamentally a drama form which focuses on human suffering, invoking an accompanying catharsis. Why do so many philosophers and artists through history consider tragedy as pinnacle of arts?

Also is tragedy inherently a Western art form? It seems to be so historically. While many other civilization did produce works in tragedy genre, none placed so much focus and praise on tragedy like the Western civilization did.
>>
It depicts life as it is: it's full of death and suffering, yet it's still meaningful.
>>
>none placed so much focus and praise on tragedy like the Western civilization did
>what is Greece

Retarded thread even by /his/ standards.
>>
>>2843473
And since when is Greece not part of Western civilization?
>>
>>2843486
Not this shit again...
>>
File: IMG_0867.jpg (17KB, 383x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0867.jpg
17KB, 383x384px
>>2843473
>>
File: Francesco Petrarca.jpg (42KB, 317x497px) Image search: [Google]
Francesco Petrarca.jpg
42KB, 317x497px
>>2843486
*tips laurels*
>>
I agree with op. Western civ did value tragedy above comedy and until the rise of the USA and Hollywood. Hollywood movies, even the more serious one (dramas etc.), are comedy because they have a happy ending, everyone survives, etc. There are very few tragedies I can think of.
>>
Tragedy as art form is the most truest and noble of all art forms.

That being said, other cultures did create works in tragic genre. But for example, a Hindu or a Muslim would not comprehend tragedy in same way a Euro would.
>>
>>2843511
Yes even the so-called Oscar baits are essentially just comedies with a "feelsy" touch. Normies just don't like to see, feel pain. They don't like to feel uncomfortable. No wonder this society gave rise to SJW, trigger warnings, safe spaces etc.
>>
>>2843463
because tragedy is the stuff of life and all life is tragedy

eastern conceptions attempt to bypass or transcend this, south and middle americans sort of decided to cooperate in a religious sense, africans mostly did their insufficient best to make themselves oblivious of it, but western approach to things was always more direct, if also more autistic, they couldnt negate tragedy, they couldnt realy bypass it and there wasnt any clear system that allowed the majority to transcend it even conceptualy, so they did what westerners usualy do, they decided to process it, even if the process has no end

this remained key in western christianity as well, more than fight or stave off tragedy youre expected to 'bare your cross' unto the bitter end

at least thats how i remember my grandma handling it
>>
>>2843553

Not OP but that is a good answer. It is interesting how each culture created a way to process everyday pain of life.
>>
>>2843523

because hindus or muslims would be expected to either accept and ignore, or submit

europeans were never big on either acceptance or submission

this dosent realy make things easier, its way way easier to deal with tragic absurdity if youve been taught to accept and submit, but it does push you into a never ending cascades of ''and now we solved this problem'' sort of logic

this never ends, in fact it leads into a sort of necrophilia since the ultimate problem you have to solve is life as such, but it did give us shit like teh internets and running water, along with all the various economic and enviromental issues and demographic collapse
>>
>>2843632

Not anon to whom you are replying but I think a Muslim would to a certain degree understand tragedy genre, at least far better then Hindu or a Buddhist. Islam is a Abrahamic faith, and Muslims are familiar with Greek culture, philosophy and art.

But a Hindu or a Buddhist would never truly understand tragedy the same way a Westerner would. He or she would see karma, attachment.
>>
>>2843463
Tragedy is dead. Hollywood killed it.
>>
>>2843719

Honestly this. American pop culture is so fascinated by the idea of happy end, of joy everlasting. Comedy is dominant form of art in modern West.
>>
File: 7c64044d3db99593fb9301ee4668e8ac.jpg (179KB, 1280x949px) Image search: [Google]
7c64044d3db99593fb9301ee4668e8ac.jpg
179KB, 1280x949px
>>2843463

Might be that people these days no longer have a need for tragedy as art form. Might be that they wish to laugh, not mourn?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.