[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does existence precede essence?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: Le_Caire_mosquée_Amr_ibn_al-As.jpg (555KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Le_Caire_mosquée_Amr_ibn_al-As.jpg
555KB, 1536x1024px
Does existence precede essence?
>>
>>2842801
Essence is existence.

However, not all existence has essence.
>>
>>2842865
I want to understand Sartre's philosophy. Existence preceding essence is basically the same thing as the concept of Tabula Rasa, right?
>>
>>2842801
Impossible to discern.
>>
>>2842801

Word salad. It means nothing. It literally means fucking nothing.

It's like a zen koan but instead with the disgusting secular deification that only shitlibs could come up with.
>>
>>2842801
No, essence precedes existence, this is exactly why it is so important you deny women access to your essence which is in your bodily fluids.
>>
>>2843044
>Stop speaking in ways I can't understand!
>>
>>2843067

Give me a precise definition of both?

I can fucking guarantee you that they will be so obtusely vague that they can describe any object and any system we can conceptualize.
>>
>>2843069
CONT.

And such vagueness is fucking useless for solving actual problems and for coming up with philosophy that has actual meaning and utility for people.
>>
>>2843069

Not that guy, but https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ibn-sina-metaphysics/#EssExi

You're welcome.
>>
>>2843073

Oh fucking wow, instead of being able to clearly describe it, you give me a link to word salad.

Thank you anon, this shit pie with a dingleberry cherry is fucking delicious.
>>
>>2843077
CONT.

You do realize the fucking uselessness of academic word games in solving actual problems in reality?
>>
>>2843077
>>2843079
CONT.

Tell me how "existence" and "essence" accurately describe things.

Tell me the "essence' of a chair and the "existence" of a chair.
>>
>>2843077

I'm not that guy. You clearly had no idea what he was talking about, so I provided you with an explanation. Stop being an idiot.
>>
>>2843071
You probably don't understand how much 'word salad' gives definition to the law.
>>
>>2843069
Postmodernist spotted.
>>
>>2843088

You didn't provide me an explanation, you linked me to retarded assholes who think that playing abstract word games are valid ways of investigating the shit around us.

Abstract word games that give a false sense of "understanding" shit.

>>2843103

Common law has a centuries tradition and actually deals with the innumerable number of circumstances that have faced men.

Contract law especially delves into notions of hedging against risk and the unknown.

>>2843108

I'm fucking done.
>>
Actually I'm not done, yet.

>>2843086
>Tell me how "existence" and "essence" accurately describe things.
>
>Tell me the "essence' of a chair and the "existence" of a chair.

Answer you motherfuckers.

Now I'm done.
>>
>>2843109

You didn't ask for an explanation. You said it means nothing. That's clearly not true, and you were provided with evidence to the contrary.

The fact that you're moving goalposts and/or too stupid to understand a philosophical wiki isn't exactly my problem. Nor am I an expert on early Islamic philosophers.

This is clearly all going way past your head, so just quiet down and drop it. If you're not interested in theology, then don't bother posting in a thread about it.
>>
>>2843134

>clearly not true

If it's clearly not true, clearly explain to me the "existence" and "essence" of a fucking chair.

In STEM fields, there's actual tools to garner actual information about objects.
>>
>>2843109
You're the same desperate motherfucker in the modern art thread.
>>
Play Nier: Automata. I wish I was joking.
>>
>>2843139
Essence is the design principles of a chair -- basic shit like being something to sit on that accommodates leg room. Existence is the literal chair that concretely exists.

Asking if essence precedes existence is if there is some pure ideal chair we can draw design inspiration from to create a good chair, or whether we got the idea of what constitutes a chair from all the chair-like things we have encountered since being aware that we need to sit down occasionally.

Do I need to get any more simpler than that? Let me know.
>>
>>2843163

Finally, a decent explanation. Thank you. Jesus fucking christ.

But essence seems like a regurgitated platonism that reflects retarded attempts to "top-down" reality.

It seems to avoid the very ordinary process of cybernetics between stimuli and cognition.
>>
>>2843171
Ha, you really are a postmodernist. Don't let 4chan fool you, it's a good thing.

>But essence seems like a regurgitated platonism that reflects retarded attempts to "top-down" reality.

Basically true.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.