[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Harsher Treaty of Versailles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (632KB, 1389x454px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
632KB, 1389x454px
Would a harsher Treaty of Versailles prevent WW2? Specifically:

>Could the Entente realistically have made it harsher than it was?
>Would a harsher treaty encourage countries to enforce it more?
>Would a harsher treaty prevent the rise of a revanchist political party?
>Assuming a revanchist party like the Nazi's come to power, and the harsher treaty is backed proportionally as much as the real one was, would it prevent Germany from being able to remilitarize?
>>
>>2839307
>Would a harsher treaty encourage countries to enforce it more?
Well it depends what you mean, it was already too harsh to have the political will to enforce.
>Would a harsher treaty prevent the rise of a revanchist political party?
I don't see how this would happen, I guess it could but I really don't know why it would.
>Assuming a revanchist party like the Nazi's come to power, and the harsher treaty is backed proportionally as much as the real one was, would it prevent Germany from being able to remilitarize?
There was never the political will to enforce the Treaty of Versailles and more enforcement would just push public opinion more to the right in Germany and more sympathetic abroad
>>
File: 1460765390013.png (1MB, 1000x776px) Image search: [Google]
1460765390013.png
1MB, 1000x776px
>>
>>2839307
Free Bavaria, Polish Eastern Prussia
>>
>>2839307
Remember that Germany wasn't completely defeated. The Entente hadn't occupied them and they could have kept fighting. If the Entente went to dismember Germany it's possible the people would have regained the will to fight and certain members of the entente might have backed out because of the harshness of the terms.
>>
>>2839582
This

Germany wasn't completely defeated and if terms where super harsh they may not have agreed to it
>>
>>2839582
This is true, but only in the sense that the Entente hadn't physically pushed into Germany proper.

With the benefit of hindsight, allied leaders should have refused the armistice, and outright invaded and occupied all of Germany.
>>
>>2839307
I think full occupation is better than dismemberment.
That way the Entente can directly extract the reparations and enforce demilitarization.
The German population would know they were defeated and there would be no stab-in-the-back myth.

More territorial losses wouldn't be necessary except maybe giving all of Upper Silesia to Poland and Saarland.
After 10-15 years of occupation Germany would be left to be economically an politically dependent on the France and Britain.
>>
>>2839622
The only members of the entente who hadn't also been fucked up in the war were the Americans, so I doubt anyone else wanted to continue the war.
>>
File: 1494760847880.jpg (88KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1494760847880.jpg
88KB, 853x480px
>>2839339
memes aside, this is the only solution
since German Unification there has been 2 world wars and currently Europe is getting fucked over for generations
>>
File: Armistice1918GF.gif (124KB, 760x575px) Image search: [Google]
Armistice1918GF.gif
124KB, 760x575px
>>2839637
By the end they already pushed into the Rhineland, they just had to go further.
>>
>>2839307
They should have partitioned the land into smaller countries.
>>
>>2839622
But surely the best way to ensure peace was not to be harsh in the terms of the treaty of versailles and try to build up the German economy similar to what happened after world war one. Any harsh terms would just lead to revenge and push the public towards absolutists such as Hitler or possibly even towards communism. There was no political appetite for an extended occupation and they wanted to keep the balance of power somewhat stable on the continent.
>>
>>2839771
>the best way to ensure peace was not to be harsh in the terms of the treaty of versailles

Anon, That happened and That didn't work precisely because it wasn't harsh.
You mentioned revenge.
After WWII Germany was left in a position were revenge was impossible.
After WWI Germany was left mostly unoccupied, with most of its assets intact and many thinking they haven't even been defeated.
>>
>>2839771
a light treatment wouldn't prevent Hitler's rise to power. Weimar republic was stabilizing and recovering by 1925, it wasn't until the great depression in 29 that Hitler and the Nazis actually started to get lots of popular support. While the treaty of Versailles certainly helped Hitler, a lighter treaty wouldn't have changed much.
>>
File: 1495198748606.png (196KB, 500x410px) Image search: [Google]
1495198748606.png
196KB, 500x410px
>>2839655
>them ebil germs did wold wars epic meme post
the anglo is the true bad guy here
>starts stupid wars to kill euros
>in one of these wars they got butthurt when the chinese chucked their shitty drug into ocean
>even tho this drug is illegal in anglo land
>in other wars like against scotland they were BTFO'd hard and won in the end due to their economic troubles
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.