[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turkey: Why were the Ottomans given SO MUCH at the end of WWI?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Ottomans pre-post WWI.png (199KB, 564x331px) Image search: [Google]
Ottomans pre-post WWI.png
199KB, 564x331px
The Turks have a long history of genociding other cultures (see: Assyrian, Greek, Armenian genocides). Even so, there was a sizable Greek population in Western Anatolia near the end of WWI. The Ottomans tried to genocide them...

So my question is: Why weren't the Allies more punitive/aggressive against the Ottomans after WWI? Why not give Thrace/Smyrna/Nikaea/Constantinople (western Anatolia) BACK to the Greeks?

This seems like one of the major errors in world history, in my view. Such a decision may have caused Turkey to insert themselves into WWII... but wouldn't that part of the world be a better, safer place if Western Anatolia were under Greek control?

In retrospect... the Ottomans got away with a lot re: Sykes-Picot... and the heirs of the Ottoman Empire (the Turks) continue to get away with horrible things (see: Kurd relations).

So what the heck happened here? Why did this fall apart? Would everything be different had Greece joined the Allies?
>>
>>2829804
Fear of Russia and cucking for the little guy (Turkey)

/thread
>>
>>2829804
Except for a small bit of the western Anatolian coast (modern day İzmir Province), all that area was majority Turkish in 1920 and had been for hundreds of years prior. As well as a central part of the Turkish state for hundreds of years. Including Istanbul and East Thrace. Not that the Allies cared much, they supported the Greeks solving that problem via genocide/ethnic cleansing. The Greeks just lost the war despite lots of help and a massive advantage in every area of materiel because the Turks are just smarter fighters than them.

After that point trying to propose to the British or French "hey guys why don't you March hundreds of thousands of troops into bumfuck nowhere and ethnically cleanse it while suffering tens of thousands [minimum] more deaths yourself just to hand it to the Greeks at the end" would just get you laughed at.
>>
>>2829804
They tried but got BTFO. Just like how today American protesters get BTFO in their own country and Turks get away with it. Turks are the strongest race in the world
>>
>>2829804
>In retrospect... the Ottomans got away with a lot re: Sykes-Picot...

The empire lost a whole quarter of its population including nearly a third of all recruited soldiers, and was literally dissolved, with the top echelons of its leadership arrested or exiled by the new leadership after or assassinated by Armenians. No other country in WW1 was as thoroughly punished and crushed.
>>
>>2829840
Kek
>>
What is: the Turkish war of Independence
>>
>>2829804
Even if the Allies decided to take Anatolia, they wouldn't have given their spoils to the Greeks anyway. Why give land to weak Greeks who couldn't even take it back themselves?
>>
File: TreatyOfSevres_(corrected).png (98KB, 1024x738px) Image search: [Google]
TreatyOfSevres_(corrected).png
98KB, 1024x738px
They tried
>>
>>2829913
>Italy
Still mad
>>
>>2829804
>favour the Germans
>shoot on troops moving between
>write letters proclaiming your love for Germany and your wish to join them in war
>slow everything down by a year
>hey guys why didn't I get my plan which would upset the balance of power in a treaty which would be voided not that long after due to revolution
>>
They were dismantled way TOO much. Had they remained in control of all Syria/Mesopotamia/Arabia, we could just solve the ISIS problem by telling them to deal with it or kick their asses and make them deal with it. Now it's a fractured shithole and nobody can keep it in order.
>>
>>2829804
They tried with the treaty of sevres but wars between the Turks and the Greeks (and other groups trying to occupy Anatolia) ended with Turkish national victory and the treaty of Lausanne
And the ottomans weren't any more genocidal than any other empire
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.