[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Ur once a coastal city? This was claimed in a book I read,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: zugg.jpg (368KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
zugg.jpg
368KB, 1600x1200px
Was Ur once a coastal city?
This was claimed in a book I read, but no further explanation was given.
Elsewhere, I know that land that was above sea, is now under sea; but in Iraq land that was under sea is now above?

Explain.
>>
Atlantis
>>
File: PersianGulf.png (168KB, 902x752px) Image search: [Google]
PersianGulf.png
168KB, 902x752px
>>2819799
The Persian Gulf was bigger back in the day, this is pretty common knowledge.
>>
>>2819845
How did water level drop in that area, and rose in the area around Britain for example?
We know that the isles used to be connected to Europe.
>>
>>2819852
One explanation I can think of is that the region silted up and extended the coastline outward. From what I recall, the Persian Gulf is somewhat shallow.
>>
>>2819852
>How did water level drop in that area,

It didn't. The land rose, because of sediment deposited by the Tigris and Euphrates rivers.
>>
>>2819852
The isles were connected much earlier than this. At that time the Persian Gulf was almost dry. Only around 4000-3000 BC the sea level rose and flooded to the extent shown in the map. Later the sea level fell by a few meters, which is all it took for the Gulf to shrink by a lot, since it's shallow and marshy in that area.

Here’s a paper about some of this stuff:
http://people.rses.anu.edu.au/lambeck_k/pdf/171.pdf
>>
>>2819900
>>2819903
It’s a plausible hypothesis, but at least according to the paper mentioned here >>2819922 the Tigris and Euphrates shed most of their sediment loads before they reached the sea, so the delta itself probably wasn’t built up much by deposited sediments, but more simply by slight sea level rise.
>>
>>2819939
*sea level fall, fuck
>>
>>2819922
Thanks for the link, I'll read it in a bit.
If the gulf is so shallow, can ships sail there at all? Is Iraq effectively landlocked?
>>
>>2819977
The Gulf can handle the biggest supertankers but it is geologically very shallow. It has a maximum depth of about 300 feet and an average depth of 164 feet.
>>
>>2819977
Ships can sail in many parts of it, but apparently navigation is a bitch for big ships like aircraft carriers due to the risk of running aground.
>>
File: Ancient_Persian_Gulf.jpg (29KB, 665x406px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient_Persian_Gulf.jpg
29KB, 665x406px
During the Ice Age more water was trapped in the polar caps thus leading to lower sea levels worldwide.

That's why England was connected to mainland Europe.

That's why pic related.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.