[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

srs question.. was there any confirmed art of alexander while

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: alexander the great.jpg (25KB, 307x454px) Image search: [Google]
alexander the great.jpg
25KB, 307x454px
srs question.. was there any confirmed art of alexander while he was alive? Similar to the bust of Caesar while he was alive?
>>
This mosaic.
>>
>>2817448
coins, egyptian depictions of him as a pharaoh
>>2817451
bait how are you?
>>
>tfw alexander didn't exist
>>
>>2817471
>tfw Muhammad didn't exist
>tfw Jesus didn't exist
>tfw Socrates didn't exist
>tfw Attila didn't exist
>>
>>2817519
>tfw Bin Laden didn't exist
>tfw Trump doesn't exist
>>
>>2817546
>4chan doesn't exist
>>
>>2817451
this was made about 100 yrs after his death I believe
>>
>>2817448
Yes, there was art commissioned during his lifetime, both as a teenager and later in life.

I don't think there's any art from his early childhood, though.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (604KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
604KB, 576x768px
Wasn't this a Roman copy of a bust made during his lifetime?
>>
>>2819578
any examples?
>>
File: 4df1a7be8a353b271de9400935c6f89f.jpg (352KB, 636x1024px) Image search: [Google]
4df1a7be8a353b271de9400935c6f89f.jpg
352KB, 636x1024px
>>2817448
Any statue by Lysippos, Leochares, Euphranor etc who were commissioned by his court.
Obviously all we have are marble copies but it's like that for 99% of Greek sculpture.
>>
>>2820447

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Sarcophagus

Here's one roughly contemporaneous with his life. I can't remember what the teenage one was called, though.
>>
"The Macedonians had help up to some of the toughest conditions yet. They fought unfamiliar foes; they fought against elephants; they had solved logistical problems that would tax the British army in the 19th Century, in moving forces through this land. Above all they had fought the finest soldiers in the entirety of the Indian subcontinent. And by time they reached the mouth of the Indus, they were ready to go home. Whether they were mutinous or discontented with Alexander, the sources do not say. But at the base of the Indus, Alexander offered sacrifice to Poseidon, carried out the proper rites, invoked the Olympian gods, and the army must've witnessed this with awe, with jubilation. They had reached the ends of the earth, and they were now turning home. I think most of these veterans knew, in their minds, that while it was a tough march home westward, they had just accomplished an anabasis, a march, an event that was beyond all other events in history. And they had done it with the greatest king who had ever lived."
>>
>>2820460
>tfw you will never have a greek bust that wasn't a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy that got stuck in some fat roman's villa courtyard and happen to be buried for archaeologists to find
>>
>>2820639
Ballin'
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.