[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who fucked up the SPHINX NOSE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1571.jpg (219KB, 758x569px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1571.jpg
219KB, 758x569px
>>
French troops during Napoleons invasion of Egypt are usually blamed but IIRC people are claiming it's a myth they destroyed it these days
>>
Nobody, noses are quite liable to break off of statues through natural wear and tear.
>>
>>2811336
He was black
>>
Actually the sphinx was created by a civilization that predates the ancient Egyptians. The sphinx originally had the head of a large snouted animal and the Egyptians carved the head down to make it look like a human once they settled in the area.
>>
>>2811361
I should have mentioned that the Egyptian carvers carved away the human nose as well to symbolize how they carved away the snout. There was never a human nose there.
>>
>>2811361
So he was an elephant?
>>
>>2811346
>usually
Pretty sure that's just an afro centrist meme.
>>
>>2811367
>afro centrist

early 19th century european historians were the first ones to mention it

Nobody really knows when the nose went missing. There's an account from the 1300s of a Shia sultan defacing the sphinx because it was pagan, which is well before the napoleon account.
>>
>>2811346
There are Arabic documents from the 15th century blaming iconoclast Muslims. It certainly couldn't have been Napoleon because as I said, sources make note of the missing nose ~400 years before Napoleon.
>>
File: IMG_1574.jpg (148KB, 1300x957px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1574.jpg
148KB, 1300x957px
>>2811382
Yes but are they reliable?
>>
>>2811336

black Africans did it so they could then claim the Sphinx had a black African nose
>>
>>2811361
>>2811366
>The sphinx originally had the head of a large snouted animal

It was a lion.
>>
>>2811408
I'm not saying you have to believe their account, but you should be able to trust the fact that the nose was gone at the time that account was written. Whether it was iconoclasts like that Arab said or whether it was something else, the point is that it was long gone by the time Napoleon came around.
>>
>>2811382
thought it was just one extremist who was arrested for defacing a monument afterwards
>>
>>2811477
I thought it was a small group?

Though I don't really like this account either. It seems like it would be pretty difficult to break such a large piece off a statue by hand, especially if the local government will try to stop you.

Honestly I think a more likely answer is just erosion. Not every event in history has to have some big story around it.
>>
>>2811508
Look at the fucking picture you DRUMPF FUCK and tell me that's erosion
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.