[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rev Wars / Napoleonic general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9

File: jena.jpg (1MB, 2244x2508px) Image search: [Google]
jena.jpg
1MB, 2244x2508px
Get in here!

>fav marshals and generals
>fav battles
>fav military innovations
>fav maneuvers
>fav republic
>fav facts 'n' shit
>>
File: Fernand_Cormon_005.jpg (272KB, 1024x784px) Image search: [Google]
Fernand_Cormon_005.jpg
272KB, 1024x784px
>>2807849
>>fav marshals and generals
I like a lot of historical figures in that time but some of my favourite are probably Gen. Ostermann Tolstoy for his A E S T H E T I C and Archeduke Charles for being perhaps the most defiant opponent to Napoleon
>>fav battles
Battles like Wagram, Borodino and Aspern-Essling seems like interesting ones
>>fav military innovations
Jars french soldiers had to keep their food in, srs smart move
>>fav maneuvers
Attack column like cmon
>>fav republic
Is it normal that i love the small german states? Sometimes i wish Bohemia and Moravia were made into small republics after the defeat of the Habsburgs
>>fav facts 'n' shit
all of them
>>
>>2807849
I'm interested in the period but it has so much stuff going on that it's kind of hard to keep track of it all.
Any good books about this, that wouldn't overwhelm me too much, but still give a decent overview?
>>
File: Ostermann-tolstoi.jpg (10KB, 220x255px) Image search: [Google]
Ostermann-tolstoi.jpg
10KB, 220x255px
>>2807849
Btw know any documentaries, books, or games that have realistic Napoleonic formations that go beyond the battalion or regiment? I wish i ould see hundreds of thousands of men in the smoke and battle fighting but few films represent it well imo. One of the only good examples is those old russian films "War and Peace" and "Waterloo" that used a fuck ton of soviet army men for the shots.
>>
>>2809158
same here anon
>>
File: Polish Ulhans.jpg (88KB, 764x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Polish Ulhans.jpg
88KB, 764x1024px
>>2809158
About Napoleon himself, the wars in general or the french revolution?
>>
>>2807849
>fav republic
So my options here are basically either France or one of the many french puppet states right?
>>
>>2809167
The Wars in general, starting from French Revolution till Waterloo.
>>
File: 1798 Hungarian Grenadier.jpg (176KB, 668x956px) Image search: [Google]
1798 Hungarian Grenadier.jpg
176KB, 668x956px
>>2809158
if you'd like to read about specific battles, campaigns, nations or tactics i strongly recommend this website
http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/
I've read/am reading a couple books that highly interested me being:
"Independence: The Struggle To Set America Free" by John Ferling
"The French Revolution" by Ian Davidson (personnal favourite)
"For God and Kaiser: The Imperial Austrian Army" by Richard Bassett (very informative on the entire history of the Habsburg army)
>>
File: Marshals.jpg (233KB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
Marshals.jpg
233KB, 857x1202px
>>2807849
>>
>>2809898
>not liking based Murat

He was the Marc Antony of his day
>>
>>2809898
Lannes was too good, too pure
>>
>>2807849
bump
>>
>>2809898

Davout would be higher if Napoleon had utilised him better.
>>
that era is my favourite so bumping for interest. I'm a huge fan of the french revolution any thoughs on it?
>>
>>2807849
Arthur Wellesly
>fav battles
Waterloo
>fav military innovations
Rockets
>fav maneuvers
The routing of the french
>fav republic
n/a
>>
>His favourite marshall isn't Michel "wherever I am I must also charge" Ney
>>
>>2815898
>damn, the armies are growing ever larger so that not even I can handle them anymore
>lets put some division general with no strategic insight whatsoever in charge, what could POSSIBLY go wrong here

Damn Nappy, you had freakin Davout at hand, you could bring Massena out of retirement, hell if everything fails promote some of your generals from the Peninsular shitshow, at least they could handle a campaign theatre.
>>
File: 1493064165615fffffff.jpg (460KB, 1600x1387px) Image search: [Google]
1493064165615fffffff.jpg
460KB, 1600x1387px
>>2807849
Massena, Lannes, Moreau, Suvorov,

>fav battles
Probably Napoleons early Italy battles: The various Mantua campaigns are pretty great in so far, that the french army was qualitative and number wise inferior but raped their opponents through glorious maneuvre warfare.- Its also is interesting how some of these battles were won through sheer luck and how Napoleon spun the narrative around to make it into something JUST AS PLANNED

>fav facts 'n' shit
That just because Britain was mad at France, a combined anglo-russian army invaded the Neitherlands and noone thought it was anything out of the usual.
There was also a planned anglo-russian invasion of Southern Italy
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.