[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't you a rule utilitarian?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: utilitarianism.jpg (21KB, 520x332px) Image search: [Google]
utilitarianism.jpg
21KB, 520x332px
Why aren't you a rule utilitarian?
>>
>>2806738

Enlighten me.
>>
Because Utilitarianism is the worse system of ethics. Stoicism and Transcendent Indifference towards the World are the way to go.
>>
>>2806738
>utilitarianism
into the garbage it goes
>>
>>2806738
Because it's even more of a fantasy than stable anarchism or communism (manifesto flavor, not USSR """"Marxism""""). People have shown again and again throughout history that humans are completely incapable of rationally considering the implications of new rules/laws. I doubt there's a person in the entire world that considers him or herself a "rule utilitarian" that isn't just using it to whitewash their own authoritarian moralizing.
>>
>>2806764

>People have shown again and again throughout history that humans are completely incapable of rationally considering the implications of new rules/laws.

That's an odd claim to make. You think that the people who make laws don't understand the reasons for them?
>>
>>2806777
They think "X is bad, we should make X illegal," without considering whether that will actually result in a net benefit to society. There's all sorts of evidence showing that things like drug prohibition and gun control result in a net detriment to society despite the fact that they actually work as intended. For example, gun violence dropped precipitously in the UK and Australia after gun bans, but violent crime and home invasion increased by orders of magnitude. A true "rule utilitarian" would be a minarchist or anarchist.
>>
>>2806798

I agree that guns should be legal and unregulated because I'm American. But the idea that all laws are bad is silly.
>>
>>2806816
Not all laws are bad, but the number of laws that actually benefit society are very small and particular to the society in question. If we take "rule utilitarianism" to mean "only laws that make society measurably better should be enacted," then that's a philosophy that's incompatible with statism or nationalism.
>>
Because morality has nothing to do with happiness/pleasure/pain.
>>
>>2806877
Then inflicting pain on others is not wrong?
>>
>>2807046
It could be wrong for a different reason.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.