[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ancient Mesopotamia tho

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 13

Everything TV says Egypt invented, the books say the Sumerians invented instead.

Is there anything Egypt invented after all?
>>
Proto-Christianity in the Osiris cult (but the Sumerians did have dummuzi though).
>>
>>2804688
or perhaps they both invented them independently. also Sumerians didn't invent the wheel, they adopted it from proto-chariot using central asian pastoralists.
>>
>>2804701
Idk just seems Egypt wasn't as advanced as we're made to think.

Especially compared to Mesopotamia or even the Indus Valley.
>>
>>2804710
They invented writing and farming tho. Not to mention every form of art really.

All the contributions of Egypt to human civilization seem to be dwarfed by that of Sumer.
>>
File: Temple-of-Horus-532.jpg (102KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Temple-of-Horus-532.jpg
102KB, 900x600px
>>2804688
>Everything TV says Egypt invented, the books say the Sumerians invented instead.

This post is so dumb.

But the really sad thing is that you are so lazy and ignorant and yet you still voice your uneducated opinion about the ancient world
>>2804711
In what way were they more advanced?

C'mon, I need to have a good laugh at your dumb opinions, try to argue these controversial points of yours.

Also Tv isn't one entity, there are countless documentaries, some better than others, but I've never seen documentaries arguing which was the best civilization like you're doing, not even the bad ones.

That said, Egyptian architecture is much more impressing than contemporary Sumerian's and Indus valley's.
>>
File: Pylons-730x410.jpg (105KB, 730x410px) Image search: [Google]
Pylons-730x410.jpg
105KB, 730x410px
>>2804747
>They invented farming

Farming was invented thousands of years before the beginning of Sumerian civilization

>They invented writing

Egyptians invented it independently too, roughly around the same time, maybe a few centuries later but that's it, they both came up with it independently from each other.
>>
>>2804756
By TV I meant the collective body of media.
They were more advanced in every possible way, from the social structure of the city states to the irrigation techniques used.

They had bigger cities and more complex bodies of government and inspired human civilization far more than Egypt in every possible way.

Maybe the Egyptians were really niggers after all.
>>
>>2804772
>independently
implying these cultures were not able to communicate with each other.
>>
>>2804772
Every civilization eventually invented a writing system of its own.
I'm talking in the sense that Sumerians were the first ones to introduce it to human civilization.
>>
File: eridu.jpg (98KB, 520x271px) Image search: [Google]
eridu.jpg
98KB, 520x271px
>>2804756
Sumer to Egypt is like America to the Roman Empire.
>>
File: luxor-egypt13.jpg (72KB, 610x408px) Image search: [Google]
luxor-egypt13.jpg
72KB, 610x408px
>>2804779
>from the social structure of the city states

Egyptian cities were united under one ruler, the city states were independent, they're just different systems, nothing inherently superior in a collection of city states

>to the irrigation techniques used.

Who the Sumerians?

Maybe the Sumerians did but only out of necessity, Egyptian irrigation techniques were enough for them to prosper, Indus valley people on the other hand didn't have superior irrigation techniques

>They had bigger cities

False, Memphis reached 70,000 people, same as Uruk, more than any Indus valley city, they had roughly the same sizes.

>and inspired human civilization far more than Egypt in every possible way.

In what way? this is vague and highly disputable, Greek statuary from instance stem from Egypt

So, summing it up:

Sumerians and Indus valley people were in no way mroe advanced than Egyptians

Egyptians, on the other hand had:

1)More complex, way more imposing architecture, pic related.
2)richer, better art
>>2804782
There's barely any evidence for contact between Egypt and Sumer between the early phases 3500-3200 bc, and Egyptian hieroglyphs are completely different from Early Sumerian cuneiform
>>
>>2804798
It really isn't, Eridu was a shithole town with like a few thousand people at best in 5000 bc, just because it existed that doesn't mean it influenced Egypt ot anyone else, that's like saying Eridu owes to Catal huyuk because it was older, complete non sense.
>>
>>2804747
>All the contributions of Egypt to human civilization seem to be dwarfed by that of Sumer.
i would call monotheism a big contribution
>>
>>2804849
So you think I implied that the Roman Empire directly influenced the Americans?

> ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>2804866
ahahahah it's funny how you're completely retarded

Americans knew about the Romans very well from countless written documents, and we know that Romans fucking colonized Britain itself, there's tons of evidence for Americans being influenced by Rome indirectly, there's none for your dumb argument about Egypt being influenced by Eridu, you dumb sack of shit, it's frustrating to deal with people as dumb as you who refuse to use logic.
>>
>>2804840
There's barely any evidence of anything you say there.
They were independent bodies but shared the same culture and identity.

The Memphis population figure is completely made up. Greek statues are nothing compared to for example the current Abrahamic religions which all stem from Sumerian mythology.

Egyptian architecture really reached its peak long after the Sumerians were gone. 1500 bc aint shit.

Egypt was also a miserable nation according to Friedrich Delitzsch that focused mainly on the afterlife due to the miserable nature of social life in ancient Egypt unlike ancient Sumerian mythology which focused mainly on life.

I'm yet to find something to impress me by Egypt. No real contribution to art, nigger tier military force, sucked in trade.

Just a shit tier overrated civilization that could barely survive.
>>
>>2804851
Our current monotheistic religions drive more from Sumerian literature than, if any, Egyptian mythology.
>>
>>2804872
Brick technology entered into Egypt, the process of firing bricks entered from the Levant and Fertile Crescent. The early Egyptians temples et cetera started using Northern techniques for building, also irrigation on the Nile appears after an influx of peoples from the Levant. Alcoholic drinks were used in West Asia from evidence, since 7000BC.
>>
>>2804879
>Just a shit tier overrated civilization that could barely survive.
It was originally a granary for Levantines, funnily enough it ended like that too under the Romans.
>>
>>2804891
pyramidz tho
>>
>>2804883
well i wasn't talking about mythology now was I?
>>
File: egipto-fig-12.jpg (206KB, 1567x1000px) Image search: [Google]
egipto-fig-12.jpg
206KB, 1567x1000px
>>2804879
>Egyptian architecture really reached its peak long after the Sumerians were gone. 1500 bc aint shit.

Lol, pic related was made in the 3rd millenium bc, It might have reached its peek later but it was already incredibly advanced back then
>The Memphis population figure is completely made up.

It isn't, you retarded fuck, Memphis, Thebes and Avaris were metropoleis, during the middle bronze age Thebes was the biggest city in the world with over 80,000 people.

>Egypt was also a miserable nation according to Friedrich Delitzsch that focused mainly on the afterlife

Retarded subjective opinion, focusing on the afterlife can give a general sense of purpose which si a good thing.

>the current Abrahamic religions which all stem from Sumerian mythology.

Except they stem primarily from Canaanite influence

>No real contribution to art

You must be retarded then, Egyptian were way more proficient in art than Sumerians, from their statues to their paintings, let alone the fucking Indus valley

>Just a shit tier overrated civilization that could barely survive.

Mmm, it's almost like Egyptian culture survived for over 3500 years while Sumerians vanished after a thousand years or so, you're pathetic and your arguments are non existent.
>>
>>2804914
Whenever you're talking about religion you're talking about mythology.

And it's a fact that monotheism was practiced in Egypt. Just not the sort of monotheism we'd consider relevant today.
>>
File: egyptempire.gif (18KB, 524x646px) Image search: [Google]
egyptempire.gif
18KB, 524x646px
>>2804891
A granary for Levantines?

Such as when Egypt controlled all the Levant up to Syria and Canaanites rulers had to say they bowed to the pharaoh 12 times and weren't worthy to kiss his feet in every letter they sent him?

Lol
>>
>>2804916

Well it's not impressive considering the dry atmosphere of egypt and it's role in preserving monuments.

Wrong. Made up figure again.

The extensive study subject of an acclaimed assyriologist is more than a subjective opinion. You stupid mongoloid.

They don't. They mainly stem from the epic of gilgamesh and the book of creation. The old testament is almost quote by quote plagiarized from sumerian ritual canon.

Not really. They did not invent pottery, they did not invent jewel crafting, they did not invent sculpturing and they did not invent music. All of which the Sumerians did.

How did Egyptian culture survive? No language is derived from Egyptian. No alphabet or any known writing systems derive from hieroglyphs. No religion is in anyway inspired from ancient Egyptian mythology. There's no way to argue that Egypt had any lasting impression on the world.

Hmm.
Still not convinced. Every point seems utterly retarded to me
>>
File: djoser41328643952276.jpg (37KB, 650x410px) Image search: [Google]
djoser41328643952276.jpg
37KB, 650x410px
>>2804916
This was made during the old kingdom, it's contemporary to Sumerians, the thing is that while we have wonders such as this one from Egypt, we only have ugly mudpiles from Sumeria, and before anyone posts the ziqqurat of Ur, that was completely reconstructed and it's mostly a speculative reconstruction, before it was reconstructed some decades ago it was just a small pile of mud, oh, and if we're comparing stacking stones I think it's needless to say that the pyramids are the indisputable winners in that department
>>2804886
Oh now the Levant has become Sumeria?

Wow nice way of thinking, give it up for fuck's sake, it's cringy how mcuh you can't accept losing an argument

>uh em and in 7000 bc they had alcoholic bevarages inW est Asia

In 7000 bc neither the Sumerians nor the Egyptians existed, there just some primitive tribes scattered around with some rudimentary agriculture in Sumer, what a retarded argument
>>
>>2804935
You're a fucking retard, I'm talking about pre pharonic Egypt. You're talking about the New Kingdom. You should be shot.
>>
>>2804955
I told you. It's preserved because of the dry atmosphere of egypt. This is not speculation this the opinion of experts,

the other replies were another anon. You still can't refute my arguments.

Maybe the real answer is because they're irrefutable.
>>
>>2804955
I was making the point that Egypt is influenced by Western Asia. You're fighting against an argument I did not make, i guess when all you have is a hammer, all you can see are nails.
>>
>>2804950
>They mainly stem from the epic of gilgamesh and the book of creation

This is completely retarded, yes, there is some minor influence from the period of the Babylonian captivity but it's mostly in the form of mythical episodes, the base idea of monotheism was developed independently by the Hebrews.

>Wrong. Made up figure again.

yes, made up by archaeologist who worked on the field, you're a complete retard, I'm sure the evil archaeologists made it up for their great conspiracy!!!

What a fucking retard you are.

>The extensive study subject of an acclaimed assyriologist is more than a subjective opinion

It is a subjective opinion, regardless of who said it. Yes, Egypt had bad periods but it was relatively peaceful and stable and very rich, it was by far one of the best places to live back then.

>How did Egyptian culture survive? No language is derived from Egyptian

I said, it survived more, not that it still survives, but to be honest Coptic derived from Ancient Egyptian, even if it's not the same language.

>No alphabet or any known writing systems derive from hieroglyphs

And yet your utter ignorance about Near Eastern history is unveiled again, Egyptian hieroglyphs->ProtoSinaitic alphabet->Phoenician alphabet->Greek alphabet->Latin alphabet (the one we're using now)

meanwhile cuneiform has died out.

Each post convinces me more and more that you're completely oblivious of ancient history, it's so irritating when an ignoramus buffoon insists to voice his opinion.
>>
>>2804980
That guys a fucking joke.
>>
>>2804969
Why the fuck are you talking about Pre Pharaonic Egypt you utter fucking retard?

This thread isn't about funny little facts about alcoholic beverages for fuck's sake, no one denied that Neolithic Levantines came up with agriculture of whatever, we're talking about Sumerians and Egyptians, why the fuck are you even mentioning things that happened 4 MILLENIA before?

It's like people talking about the Nazis and suddendly a retard shows up saying

>uurrghh achtually the Assyrians...

who the fuck cares?

It doesn't have to do anything with the discussion in the first place, you utter retard
>>
>>2804989
How am i a joke?

His argument is that Eridu influenced Egypt because people in the Levant made wine in 7000 bc, I swear retards like you should be denied access to the internet.
>>
>>2805003
It does, Lebanese Cedars are used in Sumer from the earliest times, in the Naqada I period evidence of Lebanese cedars are found. Both Egypt and Sumer are connected to Lebanon, only Sumer is connected earlier through the Samarra culture and Halaf culture.
>>
>>2805008
Because the Sumerians used Beer before the Egyptians.
>>
>>2805016
>It does, Lebanese Cedars are used in Sumer from the earliest times

And?

how does this fact prove that the people who built Eridu influenced Egypt in any significant way.

I would be curious to see a paper written by you on the topic

>So, Egyptian civilization got its hieroglyphs from Sumerians because Sumerians got some goods from the Levant

You realize this is not an argument?

It doesn't prove anything at all, yes, Sumerians were aware of the existence of Lebanon, no one denied that, but it doesn't prove they had any major influence in the making of the Egyptian civilization.
>>
>>2805025
And?

There is evidence for beer in neolithic Europe but that doesn't suddenly make them more advanced than anyone else.
>>
>>2804987
- Wrong. As I mentioned the old testament is almost a quote by quote popularization of ancient Sumerian texts. Read Sumerian Literature and the Bible by Samuel Kramer.

- Made up figures are still made up. No proof.

- It was one of the best places to live, not however the best. Which is exactly what I fucking argue you stupid cockbrained idiot.

- It didn't survive more. Sumerian culture is pretty much alive. Every modern social gesture is in origin Sumerian. ex. the handshake.

- Not true. This is the classical assumption however archaeologist can't find any direct link. Nothing more than a theory.

- Unlike your theory, it's been well established that the Ugarit alphabet which eventually led to Hebrew is a child system of Cuneiform. And the Akkadian language derivatives are still spoken to this day.

Anymore straws to hang to? I lost count of all the arguments you avoided. Push your face into a meat grinder and live alone in the woods.

m o n g
>>
>>2805036
>how does this fact prove that the people who built Eridu influenced Egypt in any significant way.
Again I said the people of Western Asia influenced Egypt, and they were connected to one another through trade et cetera.

>>2805036
>It doesn't prove anything at all, yes, Sumerians were aware of the existence of Lebanon, no one denied that, but it doesn't prove they had any major influence in the making of the Egyptian civilization.
No, the Levantines exposed them to the wider Asian civilizations.
>>
File: Natufians.jpg (60KB, 604x415px) Image search: [Google]
Natufians.jpg
60KB, 604x415px
>>2805045
I just said Egypt was exposed to the older cultures of Western Asia. Just look at the Natufians.
>>
>>2805052
>Again I said the people of Western Asia influenced Egypt

And?

No one ever denied that
>>2805046
>Wrong. As I mentioned the old testament is almost a quote by quote popularization of ancient Sumerian texts.

Prove it.

>- Made up figures are still made up. No proof.

Honestly go fuck yourself you ignoramus, back up your statement about Sumerian or Indus valley civilization cities being bigger than Egyptian ones, because you have brought up this point in the first place, i'm not gonna spoonfeed your retarded ass.

>- It was one of the best places to live, not however the best. Which is exactly what I fucking argue you stupid cockbrained idiot.

Highly subjective, I want facts, not some mental masturbations by modern day intellectuals.

>- Not true. This is the classical assumption however archaeologist can't find any direct link. Nothing more than a theory.

It's not a theory, but you're clearly ignorant on the topic and not willing to learn, honestly I've lost any interest in trying to educate a stubborn little shit who's not willing to learn.

>- It didn't survive more. Sumerian culture is pretty much alive. Every modern social gesture is in origin Sumerian. ex. the handshake.

Oh yes sure, why not, you're no better than those retards saying that Jesus was Raa because of vague similarities, fuck off.

>- Unlike your theory, it's been well established that the Ugarit alphabet which eventually led to Hebrew is a child system of Cuneiform

Except that Phoenician came from Proto Sinaitic, not Ugaritic.

>And the Akkadian language derivatives are still spoken to this day.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha Akkadians are now

Sumerians, my god, can you get even more retarded, you stupid little shit?

I'm filtering you, your stupidity is frustrating.
>>
>>2805064
It wasn't even Egypt during that time, you're going far too back in time, Natufian themselves most likely migrated towards Egypt and mixed with the natives and populated it, we're talking about what happened during the 4th millenium bc, when Egyptian and Sumerian civilization developed.
>>
>>2805081
>No one ever denied that
They influenced it as they were more advanced. You think a people would be influenced by a lesser civilization? The Egyptians were famous for their hatred of "Wretched Kush".
>>
>>2804793
No, most civilizations did not invent a writing system of their own, actually. As far as we know, writing was only independently developed in Sumer, Egypt, China, Mesoamerica.

Other writing systems (including English) use an alphabet borrowed from one of these if you go back far enough. English > Latin > Greek > Phoenician and so on.
>>
>>2805081
Prove it? I proved it. It's common knowledge. I gave you an entire fucking book you stupid fuck.

- Still no citation.

- Lol I hope you're taking yourself seriously there mate.

- I didn't claim that. Holy shit you can't even read.

- Sumerians were bilingual you stupid ignorant moron.

The only way you can be more pathetic is- you filtered me? Holy shit you truly can't be more pathetic.
>>
>>2805100
Yes, they were more advanced, but it had little to do with the Egyptians of the 4th millenium bc, those Egyptians probably mostly descended from Natufians themselves, they were a completely different people back then.

>You think a people would be influenced by a lesser civilization?

"Civilization" is a big term for 7000 bc, Egypt was barely even settled and agriculture was starting there just around that time
>>
File: Samarra.jpg (79KB, 557x603px) Image search: [Google]
Samarra.jpg
79KB, 557x603px
>>2805094
>we're talking about what happened during the 4th millenium bc, when Egyptian and Sumerian civilization developed.
But the Sumerians developed in the Samarra culture of the 6th millennium BC
>>
HAIL THE SCALED DEITY
>>
Everyone post Nazi Sumerians from the 6th millennium
>>
File: samarra2.jpg (63KB, 310x351px) Image search: [Google]
samarra2.jpg
63KB, 310x351px
>>2805152
>>
File: HalafSamarra.jpg (69KB, 500x248px) Image search: [Google]
HalafSamarra.jpg
69KB, 500x248px
>>2805153
>>
>>2804710

No they DID invent the wheel, also the chariot (war carts). The technology was perfected by the Indo-Europeans but it came from Sumer.
>>
>>2804688
Why did Mesopotamians stop inventing stuff after they got invaded by Persians?
>>
>>2804927
>And it's a fact that monotheism was practiced in Egypt

No it isn't. Akhenaten forbade the worship of other gods, he didn't claim they didn't exist. That's monolatry, not monotheism.
>>
>>2805106
>As far as we know, writing was only independently developed in Sumer, Egypt, China, Mesoamerica.

Also Vica / Linear A and the untranslated Harrapan script.
>>
>>2805116

Learn how to quote properly you spastic.
>>
>>2804851
What is Zoroastrianism?
>>
>>2804793
>Sumerians were the first ones to introduce it to human civilization.

How do you know that?

Evidence of writing, and a lot of other shit, is easier to find in dry climates like the middle east, but not so easy in wet and tropical climes with high humidity and soaking rains.

Maybe they were inspired by Indians, or other Asians.
>>
Why does every thread on this shitty board devolve to "This is better than this", why can't we just discuss the topic and post relevant pics and links. What are you looking to get out of arguing online and insulting eachother on 5000 year old politics
>>
>>2805488
>Indians
Sumer is older than the IVC.

>other Asians.
No evidence suggesting this.
>>
File: 1493422871934.png (358KB, 480x635px) Image search: [Google]
1493422871934.png
358KB, 480x635px
>>2804872
>I'm smart and your a dumb asshole who won't except logic
>reddit spacing
Anon the is not proper composure for 4chan or a debate. You need to go back.
>>
>>2807032
You're, accept, this
Fuck mobile
>>
Man you are annoying. How many times this makes it now OP? How many times do you need to get BTFO before fucking off
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.