[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't understand the point of philosophy.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1philosophy front.jpg (117KB, 657x400px) Image search: [Google]
1philosophy front.jpg
117KB, 657x400px
Sorry to be so ignorant and elementary, but I just don't get it. It seems like there are no real life scenarios that philosophy would actually assist in solving. Whenever I read a philosophy text, it just seems like the author is playing around with words and semantics until they reach the conclusion they want. I just don't see how philosophy could have any practical, real-world application. Where exactly am I wrong?
>>
>>2801901
it employs discoveries in other scientific disciplines to enrich one's understanding of existence
>>
>>2801901
Basically the question they want to answer is shit like: what is the meaning of life? sadly this has been solved since darwin
>>
>>2801901
Certain philosophies such as Stoicism or Epicureanism are constructed in a such a way where they are meant to be practiced by people in every day life from any socio-economic group. Other philosophies, such as Platonism or Aristotelianism, deal more with metaphysics/the nature of being.
>>
>>2801901
It's the study of truth. It's broken up into different fields like metaphysics (what exists), epistemology (how do we know things), logic (you know, logic and shit), ethics (how to live a good life), politics (ethics writ large), natural philosophy (science and the philosophy of science), as well as other branches.

Basically anything mathematical, scientific, ethical, or political has its roots in philosophy. Understanding that history and the underlying reasoning helps get at what is true and wise as well as how to live well.
>>
>>2801901
Any time you assign value to anything you are practicing philosophy. Why do you think slavery is bad when most human civilizations historically found it acceptable? Why is religion good, bad, or unimportant to you? How do you decide what is and isn't a right action when leading your life? Unless you are a literally a slave yourself these are important philosophical questions to consider.
>>
>>2801901
Go away, Bill.
>>
>>2801901
what ought to be....

you're just mentally handycaped no worries
>>
>>2801901
Aside from what others have said...Some people just take pleasure in learning and pondering about philosophy just for the joy of the intellectual stimulation and the feeling of fulfillment that comes with it. I know I do.

Why do elderly, retired folks still choose to take college classes? Do they need it for an occupation? Is it some sort of requirement? No- they are simply embracing the gift knowledge. Not everything has to have a definite, finite goal.
>>
philosophy is very important for social and political sciences. a firm framework of ethics is vital for both public law and private business.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.