[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of this book? Is it worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: The Silk Roads.jpg (895KB, 1420x2045px) Image search: [Google]
The Silk Roads.jpg
895KB, 1420x2045px
What do you think of this book? Is it worth it?
>>
>>2801863
the silk road never existed. prove me wrong
>>
>>2801865
frankincense
>>
>>2801863
Frankopan is a good goy and from reading reviews it seems like the book exists mainly as a liberal backpatting about the glory of Islam (since it's not the religion of evil white Europeans) disguised as a history book.
>>
>>2802487
Ah damn, the premise of looking at the history of the world through the lens of exchanges between east and west seemed neat. Oh well.
>>
>>2803441
It's not a bad read, don't take the opinion of someone who never read it.
>>
>>2801863
I'd say read it. Contrary to what >>2802487 claimed, it spends a lot of time on pre-Islamic Asia, and the closest thing it gets to moral judgement is when it points out the West's Middle Eastern policy is repeating the mistakes of the 20th century.

But if the book has a central thesis, it's that Asia has been under-emphasised in the Western view of history, and if we want to understand the present/future we should correct this. Which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.