[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does being in active service in the U.S. military exclude you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Does being in active service in the U.S. military exclude you from holding any political positions?

Could you be, say, a General and also an ambassador?
Or a Lieutenant and a member of the Cabinet?

I know the President, despite being Commander in Chief, is (I think required to be) a civilian.

Does active vs past service even matter?

I want to know for writing some political drama stuff. It seems like there'd be limits to how many high-ranking positions a person could hold in the government, lest they abuse their power. Hence the whole separation of powers thing.

Pic tangentially related.
>>
>Active Service

Yes (it excludes you).

>Reserve & National Guard

No.

There are ~20 active members of Congress that are also in the military.

Lindsey Graham is a Colonel in the USAF Reserve Jag Corps

Nikki Haley is a Major in the HI Natl. Guard Military Police
>>
>>2796051
Actually, let me amend my earlier statement.

Active Service precludes you from seeking elected office. Active duty can still be appointed to non-elected political positions, i.e. HR McMaster is technically on active duty while also serving as NSA
>>
>>2796128
Following the President himself, who's the most likely to cause major shit to happen? Because Dr. Strangelove has led me to believe it would be a major military figure, or would a corrupt Cabinet member be more likely?
>>
File: 1492558249623.jpg (68KB, 668x712px) Image search: [Google]
1492558249623.jpg
68KB, 668x712px
>>2796103
>Nikki Haley is a major in the HI Natl
What I didn't know that I live in SC
>>
>>2796051

>Could you be, say, a General and also an ambassador?

Unless you have the ability to be in two different places at the same time, and be equally engaged in both activities, then no. Definitely not.
>>
>>2796255
neither. it may not fit your definition but the "major shit" already happened. war profiteers (oil and arms companies in many nations) have successfully destabilized the middle east to such an extent that conflict there will continue to exist for the forseeable future, creating a perpetual need for guns and fuel that will generate revenue for decades to come

nuclear war is a spook
>>
>>2796734
it wasn't just those behind-the-scenes guys but also the triple entente forces after WW1 in coalition with the jews to create an environment where Israel could exist and a muslim empire could never threaten the west again, and the only way to do that was to ensure that the borders were drawn in such an intentionally-poor way that conflict would be inevitable and unending.

All middle eastern conflict originates with the mutilation of the ottoman empire. It was all intentional and the refugee crisis is an inevitable result of that. They clearly didn't anticipate this which shows how little they thought it through.
>>
>>2796757
Most redpilled post I've seen in a while, thanks anon.
>>
>>2796757

>All middle eastern conflict originates with the mutilation of the ottoman empire.

The Ottoman's essentially committed suicide by agreeing to join the central powers. Why do /pol/tards always blame outside entities whenever a leader of a country makes shitty decisions and suffers consequences for it?
>>
>>2796051

The military is in theory supposed to be non-political. There are restrictions against active duty members pursuing political office, and if I'm not mistaken, soldiers were explicitly told not to visit any campaign rallies in uniform during the election because they didn't want to give an impression that the military was officially endorsing either candidate. The Secretary of Defense is also supposed to be a civilian with no recent military service but that requirement can be waived in certain cases, as it was with the current SoD.
>>
So then it would be far more likely for a high-ranking politician with private backing to be able to pull supervillain shit than it would be for a general/admiral?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.