[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Isaiah 53

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: The Cosmic Messiah.jpg (411KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
The Cosmic Messiah.jpg
411KB, 1200x900px
Is Isaiah 53 talking Jesus?
>>
>>2793616
Talking about Jesus that is
>>
>>2793616
No. It's a continuation of the last chapter, which is clearly addressed to "Zion".

>Awake, awake, put on your strength, Zion. Wear your beautiful clothes, Jerusalem, the holy city, because no longer will the uncircumcised and the impure come into you.
>>
>>2793616
Absolutely, 100% yes.
>>
>>2793633
JIDF already in the thread.
>>
>>2793633
How would you know, since Isaiah 53 is not included in regular synagogue readings?

A little more than suspicious, no?
>>
>>2793633
Even the reasons for omitting it point to the uniqueness of this passage. For example, one Jewish scholar, Claude Montefiore, explained: “Because of the christological interpretation given to the chapter by Christians it is omitted from the series of prophetical lessons for the Deuteronomy Sabbaths…the omission is deliberate and striking.”

Rabbinic Anthology, C.G. Montefiore & H. Loewe, (New York: Schocken Books, 1974) p. 544
>>
>>2793645
Because unlike Christians, we actually read the entire Bible. I know it's a shocking concept.

>>2793650
Literally who? And it's not like the vast majority of Naviim or Ketuvim are on regular synagogue readings. Do you have similar "Christological interpretations" for chapters 3-5 of Jeremiah, or the entirety of Obadiah, Nahum, and Habbakuk, none of whom get read at all?
>>
>>2793693
Oh, it turns out I made a mistake. Habbakuk gets read on the 2nd day of Shavuot, which I forgot. I'll substitute Zephaniah and Haggai instead.
>>
>>2793616
I typed this all out, but something prevents me from posting it. Continual "Connection Error", even though this post will be posted just fine.
>>
>>2793693
Read this, and be dismayed, Jew.

https://jewsforjesus.org/issues-v13-n06/who-s-the-subject-of-isaiah-53-you-decide/
>>
>>2793693
Maimonides disagrees with you.
>>
>>2793693
You have never read Isaiah 53 properly if you think it's talking about Israel.

>>2793726
>>
>>2793723
I tend to get that when I post long links

>>2793726
Let's see, a lot of shit quoted out of context (We will quote Isaiah 52, but NOT the part where it's addressed to Zion)

Or the Gemara quote, where it convienently ignores all the OTHER opinions.

>What is his [the Messiah's] name? — The School of R. Shila said: His name is Shiloh, for it is written, until Shiloh come.26 The School of R. Yannai said: His name is Yinnon, for it is written, His name shall endure for ever:27 e'er the sun was, his name is Yinnon.28 The School of R. Haninah maintained: His name is Haninah, as it is written, Where I will not give you Haninah.29 Others say: His name is Menahem the son of Hezekiah, for it is written, Because Menahem ['the comforter'], that would relieve my soul,is far.30 The Rabbis said: His name is 'the leper scholar,' as it is written, Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him a leper, smitten of God, and afflicted.31

And of course it ignores how Jesus isn't the Messiah, as Messiahship is incompatible with a claim of divinity, or the fact that Jesus failed a shitton of other Messianic prophecies. I don't see an end to war, or an ingathering of Israel, do you?
>>
>>2793728
Maimonides also thought that masturbating made you die young. He's hardly infallible.

>>2793735
Did I say it was about Israel? No I didn't.>>2793633 I said it was about a singular city.
>Christians in charge of reading comprehension.
>>
>“There is no doubt that Isaiah 53 is to be understood in the context of the Isaiah tradition. Insofar as the servant is Israel – a common assumption of Jewish interpretation – we see that the theme of humiliation and exaltation serves the Isaiah rendering of Israel, for Israel in this literature is exactly the humiliated (exiled) people who by the powerful intervention of Yahweh is about to become the exalted (restored) people of Zion. Thus the drama is the drama of Israel and more specifically of Jerusalem, the characteristic subject of this poetry. Second, although it is clear that this poetry does not have Jesus in any first instance on its horizon, it is equally clear that the church, from the outset, has found the poetry a poignant and generative way to consider Jesus, wherein humiliation equals crucifixion and exaltation equals resurrection and ascension.”
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.